• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Forces Aptitude Test (CFAT) [MERGED]

Hello fellow members,
                                It might seem like this question has been answered a numerous times... But it hasn't been. I looked up thoroughly for 1 full week.
As of latest information:
Question: How many parts are there to CFAT (canadian forces aptitude test)?
Question 2: How long is each part of the test?
Question 3: How many questions are in each part and whats the total time allotted for each such categories?

To summarize, so far the information I have is that its split into 3 categories: Verbal (5 mins total time), Spatial (10 mins total time) and problem solving (30 mins total time).
If so, then why did the recruitment centre email me notifying that the test appointment lasts from 8: 30 am to 12 pm (thats 3.5 hours).

There's gotta be something new going on. As judging a persons aptitute in a short 45 mins test is not accurate. Given RCMP and other tests last for upto 4 hours.

utopia said:
Hello fellow members,

Question: How many parts are there to CFAT (canadian forces aptitude test)?
Question 2: How long is each part of the test?
Question 3: How many questions are in each part and whats the total time allotted for each such categories?

To summarize, so far the information I have is that its split into 3 categories: Verbal (5 mins total time), Spatial (10 mins total time) and problem solving (30 mins total time).
If so, then why did the recruitment centre email me notifying that the test appointment lasts from 8: 30 am to 12 pm (thats 3.5 hours).

From the CF site: "You will be invited to complete this multiple-choice test by hand or on a computer. You are given 45 minutes to answer all of the questions: you will be given 4 answers for each question, but only one is correct. The test has 60 questions, broken down into three parts:
Verbal skills (15 questions, 5 minute limit to finish)
Spatial ability (15 questions, 10 minute limit to finish)
Problem solving (30 questions, 30 minute limit to finish)''

There are 3 parts and your timings seem accurate. It can take up to 3 or so hours. They don't put you on the computers right away. Without availing too much and breaking the non-disclosure ethic, there are introductions, grading, forms to be filled out, transport reimbursements and arranging of future appointments for further processing that can take time as well once you've completed the aptitude test. Good luck!

Thanks for your reply nn1988. Kindly appreciated.
I guess the knowledge I had about the test was from the CF website.
Thanks for the overall input.

Well, after months of studying for the Aptitude Test, two years of non stop exercises of hard core bench presses, cardio, etc, my son took the Aptitude Test and failed. He now has to wait another three months. After dropping him off at the Hamilton Office where the test took place, I drove around Hamilton for awhile and after two and a half hours of driving, I went back and waited in the lobby. When I arrived there, one by one, young adults ages 18 to 21 (my guess) came out of a room. My son was nervous and informed me that math was very complicated (I hired a math tutor for him to freshen up). Other young adults were told to sit and watch a movie based about life in the Armed Forces across from me. Two Officer's would call two people at a time, they came out looking very happy and relieved. I thought 'good for them'. Than the one Officer called five of the recruitors and left my son alone for 10 minutes. I knew right there and than he failed. The look on his face was total defeat. The five recruitors came out happy, left and than my son was called. A little later he came out and wanted to get away from there asap. He told me that the math was HUGELY difficult, the verbal and spartial was easy! He was told that he had to wait another 3 months before he could reapply and retake the test. He is going back to school to take up grade 10 math and go again in November. As a mother, I was crushed and hurting. To get rid of his disappointment and pain he is now going more and more to the Y. I got some math books from the library for him to study before I hire another tutor.
I totally understand that the RAF doesn't just take anybody! But geez, do they NOT want new recruits? Make the math part alittle more easier, perhaps! Another young man who looked to be 18 also failed and he left with his head down. My son wants to be in the infantry and understands that math has to be used. I am so nervous of him going back in November and maybe failing the math again, even though he is going back to school for his math. He told me that its three strikes and your out!
Has anyone else on this website failed? and went back? I would love to hear your story! Thanks.

linda1968 said:
I totally understand that the RAF doesn't just take anybody! But geez, do they NOT want new recruits? Make the math part alittle more easier, perhaps!

Not to be rude but while the Canadian Forces may want recruits they want troops that meet the standard.  Lowering the standard does not do anybody any good.  If you lower the standard and take people that don't know math, when are they going to learn it, on basic training? On their trade training? Basic math is just one of the skills the CF expects you to have.

I understand your thoughts/feelings about witnessing a child's failure. However, I find it out-of-taste to suggest that a specific portion of the test be reformatted because a small percentage of people aren't able to pass. Do you think that is an appropriate suggestion for Police Service testing, Firefighters, etc.? (It is also my opinion that people need to experience failure in all aspects of life. This is not the end of the world. It's another chance for him to better himself in a certain area.)

I am extremely weak in math. I was quite concerned with how I would perform. I found it difficult, but passed--thankfully. Although I found it difficult, there are many who didn't/don't and I don't think there is anything about the skill level that needs to be adjusted. Frankly, it's up to potential recruits to match the level of what the CF wants, not the other way around. Now that your son has a first-hand account of what he needs to work on, he can prep accordingly.

There is nothing shameful about failure. It helps us grow, helps us learn, and better prepares us for various struggles in life.

Well with my experience the math part was actually very easy. The two dominant things you need to know is to understand the problem and solve. I'd suggest reviewing how to multiply and divide. Your son should also time each question, and if there is a question he's stuck on, then skip it and move on to the next one, and come back to the original question later. The math is based on grade 10 math. Good luck.

linda1968 said:
I totally understand that the RAF doesn't just take anybody!
FYI, the RAF is the British Air Force.

linda1968 said:
But geez, do they NOT want new recruits? Make the math part alittle more easier, perhaps!

Plenty of people pass the math portion; so why should the test be made easier because a portion of people that take the test fail? I'm sure this is disappointing/frustrating for you and your son, but things shouldn't be made easier just to accommodate him and others. Asking for potential recruits to have a minimum of grade 10 math skills isn't asking for much IMO.  There is a standard, and potential recruits must meet it.

He failed a portion of the test, it happens.  Now he has to learn from this; I'm sure he has an idea of what he had difficulty with, so he can brush on up on that so he is better prepared for his second attempt.

linda1968 said:
He is going back to school to take up grade 10 math
Does he not already have grade 10 math?

linda1968 said:
Has anyone else on this website failed? and went back? I would love to hear your story! Thanks.

Lots here.

"Well I feel like a right moron right now. I just failed my CFAT."
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/23193.0

Looking at your username and your story, I assume your son is still very young and certainly shouldn't need to pick his career immediately. If he fails the CFAT again, encourage him to get some more experience in other professions before he worries about his third try (which he will likely have to wait a while for even if he is taking Math courses). While serving in the Canadian Forces is a dream and would be an honor for many, it is only the reality for a relatively few people.

If he gives it his best effort, and still doesn't make it in, he has to hold his head high and be proud that he tried, and choose another path in life that can contribute to making Canada a great place to live.

When I did my CFAT, 2 people failed, but it is impossible for me to speculate which sections they did bad on. I found the test very difficult, but I think on the second try he will find it easier since he now knows how hard it is and what kinds of math to study on.

-Skeletor- said:
FYI, the RAF is the British Air Force.

:ditto:

I failed Grade 10 math and still did well on the CFAT.  It's more about problem solving than about math.  :dunno:

Many people pass the CFAT, and many people fail 1 or more portions of it.  That's life and reality, not everyone can join/is suitable for the CAF.  Eventually your son needs to learn and accept failure, and you as his mother need to learn to cut the cord, and let him fail.

Hatchet Man said:
Many people pass the CFAT, and many people fail 1 or more portions of it.  That's life and reality, not everyone can join/is suitable for the CAF.  Eventually your son needs to learn and accept failure, and you as his mother need to learn to cut the cord, and let him fail.

Well I think you should teach that failures will happen and it's a part of life. I wouldn't recommend teaching people to accept failure...

UnwiseCritic said:
Well I think you should teach that failures will happen and it's a part of life. I wouldn't recommend teaching people to accept failure...

Semantics. 

For the OP:  Again, not to sound harsh, but it's important to remember exactly what the CFAT is testing:

Definition of APTITUDE

a : inclination, tendency <an aptitude for hard work>
b : a natural ability : talent
: capacity for learning <an aptitude for languages>
: general suitability : aptness

It may well be that he just isn't suited for the CF, and no amount of studying or tutoring will change that.

^harsh.

I was never good with math, but with age I have come to really enjoy problem solving. My last job in Alberta was well testing, and tho the math was basic I learned to enjoy it.  Figuring out the hourly gains of water/oil being pumped from the well, reporting to my boss and having him look over my work approving that i had been doing it rite it became easier and easier. Doing things rite is rewarding.  Failing is never easy, knowing other people did the same test and passed makes one feel miserable. I know the feeling and I am sorry he is going through that.  I knew i needed to study before my CFAT, so i did. I asked friends, family and even my girlfriends son to help me with the areas i needed to brush up on.  That said, I still had difficulty with the math part of test but did worst on the language aspect.  Don't let him stay to beat up over this, keep him motivated to do his best and remember that as going in with a good attitude is half the battle!

I do hope he does the test again and I hope he can nail it!  Goodluck to him and his future, I look forward to seeing your post of "HE DID IT!!"

- Kierstead

STJ_Kierstead said:
^harsh.

I was never good with math, but with age I have come to really enjoy problem solving. My last job in Alberta was well testing, and tho the math was basic I learned to enjoy it.  Figuring out the hourly gains of water/oil being pumped from the well, reporting to my boss and having him look over my work approving that i had been doing it rite it became easier and easier. Doing things rite is rewarding.  Failing is never easy, knowing other people did the same test and passed makes one feel miserable. I know the feeling and I am sorry he is going through that.  I knew i needed to study before my CFAT, so i did. I asked friends, family and even my girlfriends son to help me with the areas i needed to brush up on.  That said, I still had difficulty with the math part of test but did worst on the language aspect.  Don't let him stay to beat up over this, keep him motivated to do his best and remember that as going in with a good attitude is half the battle!

I do hope he does the test again and I hope he can nail it!  Goodluck to him and his future, I look forward to seeing your post of "HE DID IT!!"

- Kierstead

As for the OP's original statement about whether the recruitors want people to get in or not based on the difficulty and that they should make the math portion easier, it's a bit silly. To lower the standard to avoid any failures negates the purpose of having a standard at all. Especially considering by her own admission the majority of the applicants passed the aptitude test. By that token, Occam's statement was harsh but relevant. The applicant may simply not meet the standard. Clearly at this time he did not.

That being said, as you said everyone has their own challenges and I firmly believe in the value of someone who can take his licks and resaddle, latent talent or not. If he treats a defeat as final, well then the CAF is probably not the place for him. If it remotivates him to try all that much harder then that's the kind of attitude that goes far.

It's nice to see parents giving a shit about their kids even if they're defensive about it. 

I remember calling parents in order to try and get their sons and daughters to release from the military the proper way instead of being 5F and of them couldn't care less.

I've noticed here and there posters commenting about how easy the aptitude test is (ie how smart they are). That can do a disservice to new applicants reading the forums seeing comments about how "easy it is" and perhaps not studying as much as they should.

STJ_Kierstead said:
Doing things rite is rewarding. 
To help you in that, I will point out that "rite" is not used right in your sentance.

Back