• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Forces Aptitude Test (CFAT) [MERGED]

You write the test and you either qualify for what you chose or you didn't.

The mechanics of it doesn't matter.

RDJP said:
So it IS possible to score just under for Officer, but high enough to score for ALL NCM trades?  I figured there'd be some overlap somewhere.

For the most part the answer to your question is yes.  The way the scoring is done is a little convoluted, which is why CFRC's don't tell you your score.

So after visiting the recruiter today and mentioning my concerns, I heard some good news and can also now settle some myths here. I asked to redo my test because I did not feel it indicated my current aptitude for the job, having been done ~7 years ago. I told him I understand there is a threshold that must be met, however I am looking to not only meet but exceed the requirements in order to be competitive. He said ok no problem, you just need to sign a waiver and they can get it rebooked. Once we got into his office, he took a look at my aptitude test and said "wow... you don't want to redo this test"  :nod: he wouldn't tell me the score but it turns out I was a pretty smart little boy. Anyway, he went on to tell me about the judgments that are used to determine whether you're chosen for a placement and that the aptitude test is ranked and used as a comparison tool.

Things to take away from this:
A) YES aptitude tests are ranked and therefore, although thresholds exist, it is in your best interest to exceed them and perform at your best.
B) You can probably talk a recruiter into letting you redo the CFAT if you did passed the threshold but did badly and some time has passed.

shogun506 said:
Things to take away from this:
A) YES aptitude tests are ranked and therefore, although thresholds exist, it is in your best interest to exceed them and perform at your best.
B) You can probably talk a recruiter into letting you redo the CFAT if you did passed the threshold but did badly and some time has passed.

I'll buy the A, but not the B.  Don't lead people to believe they can go rewrite the CFAT whenever they want.

I know someone who failed (didn't qualify for the trade he wanted) the CFAT, and was told you can rewrite but they have to get permission from higher. That's typically the final rewrite you ever get, no third chance.

PuckChaser said:
I know someone who failed (didn't qualify for the trade he wanted) the CFAT, and was told you can rewrite but they have to get permission from higher. That's typically the final rewrite you ever get, no third chance.

I think they'll also consider it if you have proof of taking a course to improve your math or English vocabulary.

PMedMoe said:
I think they'll also consider it if you have proof of taking a course to improve your math or English vocabulary.

Correct, rewrite waivers are not guaranteed, period, full stop.

shogun506 said:

A) the CFAT is one part of the evaluation
B) No you can't. First an MCC or an MCC qualified Recruiter, can only RECOMMEND to the UPSO that you be granted a waiver to rewrite the CFAT.  There are very specific criteria that need to be sastified before the UPSO will sign off on the waiver.  Simply wanting a do over to get a better score is not good enough. 

Stay in your lanes.

shogun506 said:

Side note, since your never actually told your score there is no way of knowing wether you just barely or exceeded the requirements for your trade, if you pass be happy and move on, there are better ways to make your application stand out than retaking your CFAT with hopes of a better score It's after all only one part of the selection process.

To clarify - what I mean by "B" is that there is a possibility you might be able to talk the recruiter into letting you redo the test. I'm not saying that it's official and you must be able to do it. I'm saying that as per my experience AND as per the regulations found on the CF site, which state that if you do not qualify for your trade you may retake the test once after 3 months. To take the test a 3rd time, proof of significant academic upgrading such as post-secondary education must be presented.

While it doesn't explicitly say that you can redo it to upgrade your score after doing post-secondary education what I'm saying is try to make a case. Worse that will happen is they say no.

Mushroom said:
Side note, since your never actually told your score there is no way of knowing wether you just barely or exceeded the requirements for your trade, if you pass be happy and move on, there are better ways to make your application stand out than retaking your CFAT with hopes of a better score It's after all only one part of the selection process.

Never say never, I was told mine, not sure if they meant to, but I was present while the Recruiting Sgt. was speaking to the Career officer about it.

shogun506 said:
To clarify - what I mean by "B" is that there is a possibility you might be able to talk the recruiter into letting you redo the test. I'm not saying that it's official and you must be able to do it. I'm saying that as per my experience AND as per the regulations found on the CF site, which state that if you do not qualify for your trade you may retake the test once after 3 months. To take the test a 3rd time, proof of significant academic upgrading such as post-secondary education must be presented.

While it doesn't explicitly say that you can redo it to upgrade your score after doing post-secondary education what I'm saying is try to make a case. Worse that will happen is they say no.

To clarify I WORK in recruiting, so I actually know what the policies and procedures are for CFAT rewrites, which are a little more in detail than what is available to the public.  Re-read the site guidelines regarding posting information based on conjecture and  what you think you know. 

Has anyone used this site and have feedback on their materials? http://forcesready.ca/

I got a call this week to continue through the process for pilot, and have a month to get my act together to write this thing. I think I'll be fine, but I want to take some time to study just to be sure. They have a practice exam on there which was significantly harder than the one on forces.ca and I did well on it.

Alternative would be tracking down a GED book based on the CFAT thread, however I'm wondering if anyone has made use of this specific website to prepare?

Thanks.

IMO looks to me like a perfectly good waste of $50.

You either have a base level of knowlege / logic, or you do not. No amount of short term prepping will actually embed / impart any of same for any duration, unless you're of the University types who simply absorb - regurgitate, and then delete. You will however still require the base knowlege to work through the CFAT.

Nice slick looking website though.........snake oil in a different bottle.

Personally, I would not spend money preparing for a test that evaluates basic skills that your taxes have already paid for. You already possess all the basic skills that you require to ace the test (simply from attending high school). This is what I would recommend:

1. Save your money;
2. Read the entire CFAT FAQ on this site (http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/23193.0.html);
3. Get a GED textbook from your public library;
5. Use a site like math.com or http://www.kutasoftware.com/free.html (the latter has a million worksheets you can practice);
4. Practice your skills with hours worth of testing through the Public Service Commission practice tests: http://www.psc-cfp.gc.ca/ppc-cpp/psc-tests-cfp/psc-tests-cfp-eng.htm

My  :2c:

It's not hard enough to blow 50 bucks on that...

It's not easy - don't get me wrong, but it's not impossible either.

Brush up on your math, maybe read a book that uses some advanced vocabulary. I printed off some math work sheets and did them, and continued to until I knew how to do all the basic math stuff that is easily forgotten.

As several people here have stated it is a waste of money, if that is the case then I did waste my money on this site.

I will say that the practice tests that they have are challenging and have gotten me to expland my mind a bit when looking at a question, so for that alone I feel as though it was worth the money for me. However, the solutions and tuitoring they provide is not the best in my opinion and I have resorted to google to find explanations on how to solve math problems or whatever I may be struggling with.

If you are fresh out of high school then I don't see this to be a problem, or if you have taken math in university. However, I graduated from high school 6 years ago and in university never took a math class. On top of that I finished grade 12 math when I was in grade 11, AND always used a calculator for everything. These practice tests along with google searches for explainations on how to work through math have proven to be extremely helpful to me. For example, when I took the forcesready.ca free practice test I did horribly, and after a week of studying about 2 hours a day I have improved significantly.

For me it has been worth the money, the way I am looking at it is like this... the CFAT is the gateway to an amazing career and for that I was willing to spend the money. It has just been so long since I have had to think critically using math and this has proven to be extremely helpful shaking off the rust and relearning even simple techniques when working with math or understanding pattern recognition.

I graduated from high school 11 years ago. $50 is trivial to spend in terms of investment towards a career. The practice exam on that site had a question around sequential prime numbers which isn't something I've even thought about in roughly 14 years (yikes) so I found it got my brain going in a different direction.

If the practice exams are valuable, I think that's worth the $50 alone. I'm assuming I'll need to score pretty much 100% on this to have a chance at progressing given what I've applied for and the amount of people competing for a spot.

Thanks for the feedback.

Wished I had thought of this!  What a great deal, a website, a bunch of old CTAT questions and watch the money roll in!  Wonder how they laid hands on the CTAT questions......hmmmmmmmm?

brian8225 said:
I graduated from high school 11 years ago. $50 is trivial to spend in terms of investment towards a career. The practice exam on that site had a question around sequential prime numbers which isn't something I've even thought about in roughly 14 years (yikes) so I found it got my brain going in a different direction.

If the practice exams are valuable, I think that's worth the $50 alone. I'm assuming I'll need to score pretty much 100% on this to have a chance at progressing given what I've applied for and the amount of people competing for a spot.

Thanks for the feedback.

$50 will also get you five one-on-one sessions with a college level tutor. Something to consider?
Best of success :)

Back