• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Forces Aptitude Test (CFAT) [MERGED]

To be honest, a CFAT is an alternate schoolcard. And Some things come naturally to some, not to others. I shouldn't say that a 17yr old who writes the CFAT and is eligible for all should drop high school at all, but it does help to give the chance to a 30-year old who wasn't the greatest in school but was eligible for all trades to 'academically' compete against someone who is 18, did great in school but had fewer choices within the CFAT for a trade.

The CFAT in addition to your high school diploma opens doors for you. The better the score, the more cards you get to play with when applying for a trade. This is from a CF recruiter I spoke with.

Here's my PXR based on the eCFAT I sat on Tuesday and a subsequent conversation with my recruiter. I won't discuss specifics as it's not allowed and defeats the object, however, hopefully this general overview and advice may help somebody......

1. Make sure you read everything here first:

http://www.forces.ca/en/page/theapplicationprocess-106#step3-3

2. The downloadable practice paper gives you an idea of what to expect in terms of the style of questions, however, I found the actual test significantly more difficult. The practice paper below was fairly useful and the more prep you do beforehand the better frame of mind you'll be in. I'm 39 and it's been a long time since I sat in the classroom; those of you straight out of high school may find it easier.

http://www.psc-cfp.gc.ca/ppc-cpp/pract-test-examn-pract/gct2-ecg2-pratc-eng.htm

3. In my opinion, there's not a lot you can do to improve your chances on the first 2 sections of the test (Verbal Skills and Spatial Ability). You'll either have a good grasp of language or you won't - short of memorising a dictionary/thesaurus there's not much training you can do. Similarly, your brain will be able to formulate shapes and patterns or it won't - I believe that we're all hard-wired in this area, some will find this natural and some will find it a black art. That said, the factor which affected me the most on these sections was lack of time, I literally had seconds to spare at the end.

4. The final section (Problem Solving) is an area where you can help your cause beforehand. The math is no different than I did in school and provided you've remembered how to do fractions, percentages etc you should do fine. I personally found that there was plenty of time and I'd finished with 12 minutes left to spare. I used this time to go over my answers again to check for silly mistakes.

5. Timing, Timing, Timing……..don't get too wrapped up with any one question. If you're beginning to struggle then move on to the next. It's better to answer a few easier questions correctly, than waste ages on a difficult one which you subsequently get wrong. If you find you've got questions left and seconds to spare then make an educated guess; you've got a 1 in 4 chance of getting it right and you won't lose anything for getting it wrong.

6. Don't get disheartened, or start panicking, if you find you don't know the answers to all the questions, just do your best. For example, I'm enrolling as a Vehicle Tech for which the current pass mark (subject to change) is 35. Presuming that this score is spread equally across the 3 sections then I would have needed roughly 9 out of 15 correct on Sections 1&2 and 18 out of 30 on Section 3. You can see that this is very achievable provided you answer as many as you can and don't spend too much time on any one question.

7. If you know your required pass mark don't just aim at that, aim to do your best and answer as many as you can. If you intend to make a career of the military then the 'just enough' approach may bite you in the *** later. For example, should you decide to change trade, or commission from the ranks, your CFAT score will be revisited and used in the decision making process.

8. Finally, If you want to know what score you got then just ask. What's the worse that can happen……? I asked my recruiter and he had no problem in telling me how I did and what I got wrong etc - needless to say, I was glad to hear I passed  ;)

Good luck

Hi everyone,

I've been practicing for my CFAT exam in 3 weeks. I know many will mock me for spending a bit of money on TEST READY PRO, but I can take it. I'm writing to anyone who is stressing about this aptitude exam, and if you would like to put your mind at ease, I can send u the PDF from testreadypro.ca that I purchased to help you study. READ BELOW

Mod Edit: Anyone thinking of taking jcan up on his offer had better think twice about it. This site is NOT to be used to share copyrighted information. If we catch you then you will be banned.

if any one is struggling with preparing for their test, email jason for that file it is VERY USEFUL....
ps. Thanks Jason ;D

Mod edit: Do not support this behaviour

This site (below) is awesome!!!  It is totally free, but you do have to go through some annoying sign up stages....do it, it is worth it.  I really like how it spits out your scores on each section, and after tallying up your overall score, you can compare which occupation you are most qualified for. Although it is American, I am certain there is little difference to the CFAT in terms of math difficulty.

http://www.military.com/ASVAB

I've been practicing for my CFAT exam in 3 weeks. I know many will mock me for spending a bit of money on TEST READY PRO, but I can take it. I'm writing to anyone who is stressing about this aptitude exam, and if you would like to put your mind at ease, I can send u the PDF from testreadypro.ca that I purchased to help you study. Just shoot me an email: jason.g

So that company sells those, you bought it and now will give it away? So if your livelihood depended on you selling a product or service, you would be OK with one person buying it and giving it away to everyone? Better check the Terms and Conditions in regards to what you bought, along with Copywrights, etc.

[Edit to remove email address in quote.]

Here is the relevant portion of the Test Ready Pro website:
Prohibited Actions

To ensure the protection of other Test Ready Inc. users, you shall only use this website for lawful purposes. In your use of this website, you acknowledge and agree that you are strictly prohibited from taking the any or all of actions set out below (collectively, "Prohibited Actions"):

loading, transmitting, distributing, or storing material or information protected by copyright, trade-mark, trade secret or other intellectual property right used without proper authorization

Yep, integrity.

Ding, ding, ding. Journeyman got it! And as DS I can also play fun police by pointing out the Army.ca Conduct Guidelines which you are supposed to read and this little ditty contained in them:

•You will not post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this site.

And before someone childishly points out to me that the person did not post the material to the site I'll point out that he made the offer and I won't have this site used as a medium for that. Go download it somewhere else.

jcan, this is your one and only nice warning about this. I've removed your personal email from your post but I can't do anything if someone PM's you. However, if you're found to be continuing this behaviour I'll just ban you. Perhaps Papa the lawyer can help you understand why we want no part in this sort of guff.

Scott
Army.ca Staff

Just took the CFAT for infantry officer. I passed but 3 out of the 6 failed. So don't underestimate it, you only got 2 tries at it.

Dlew said:
Just took the CFAT for infantry officer. I passed but 3 out of the 6 failed. So don't underestimate it, you only got 2 tries at it.

Do you know what the pass mark was Dlew?

British Army said:
Do you know what the pass mark was Dlew?

There is no "pass mark"; or to be more accurate, there is no "pass mark" published.  It is an Aptitude Test for which your mark will dictate which Trade options may be open to you.  The higher your marks, the more options you will have of Trades to choose.  The lower your marks, the fewer Trades will be open to you.

NFLD Sapper said:
CFAT marks are not given out......
George Wallace said:
There is no "pass mark"; or to be more accurate, there is no "pass mark" published.  It is an Aptitude Test for which your mark will dictate which Trade options may be open to you.  The higher your marks, the more options you will have of Trades to choose.  The lower your marks, the fewer Trades will be open to you.

Just to clarify, I appreciate that 'pass marks' aren't published. When I took the eCFAT for Veh Tech I asked my recruiter what I needed to score and he told me (35/60 at the time). I was just interested what was needed for Inf Off and whether Dlew knew or not?  ;)

British Army said:
Just to clarify, I appreciate that 'pass marks' aren't published. When I took the eCFAT for Veh Tech I asked my recruiter what I needed to score and he told me (35/60 at the time). I was just interested what was needed for Inf Off and whether Dlew knew or not?  ;)
How this information can help you or anybody?
Iit is clearly- you apply for trades and after that you must do eCFAT.
If you passed - you will be informed by recruiter. It's all. What you need else?To compare?
I just passed test a few weeks ago. After the test  we received information who passed test .Recruiter told us that we can continue our recruiting process according our trades of choice.
I don't care about scores.

sky777 said:
How this information can help you or anybody?

It's quite possible that I'll want to CFR one day. If and when that day comes I'll have to sit the CFAT again. It's worth knowing whether I have a chance of meeting the required score to be an Officer.

sky777 said:
Iit is clearly- you apply for trades and after that you must do eCFAT.
If you passed - you will be informed by recruiter. It's all. What you need else?To compare?

Thanks for the reminder, but I hadn't forgotten.

sky777 said:
I just passed test a few weeks ago. After the test  we received information who passed test .Recruiter told us that we can continue our recruiting process according our trades of choice.

Good for you.

sky777 said:
I don't care about scores.

So it seems.

I find that time spent on reconnaissance is seldom wasted.

British Army said:
I find that time spent on reconnaissance is seldom wasted.

So true.......Unless the recce keeps on coming up with the same facts.  Then it is a waste of time and effort.  If the answer from the CFRC is that their Recruiting Policy states CFAT scores are not released, then to constantly ask for them is damn foolishness. 

British Army said:
It's quite possible that I'll want to CFR one day. If and when that day comes I'll have to sit the CFAT again. It's worth knowing whether I have a chance of meeting the required score to be an Officer.
Nobody can tell you about required score to be an Officer.

George Wallace said:
So true.......Unless the recce keeps on coming up with the same facts.  Then it is a waste of time and effort.  If the answer from the CFRC is that their Recruiting Policy states CFAT scores are not released, then to constantly ask for them is damn foolishness.

I take your point George. I think 'constantly asking for them' is explanatory 'mission creep' to say the least, but I'll call it a day as it's clear that I'm the only recruit in this forum who knows what his pass mark was.

sky777 said:
Nobody can tell you about required score to be an Officer.

That's quite obviously not true.

Do you have to get the last word in?

Drop it.

Staff

Back