• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Forces Aptitude Test (CFAT) [MERGED]

1)BMQ is usually ran twice in the fall/winter. One in October and one in January.

2) BMQ is 20 days (10 weekends). SQ can be done on the weekends as well. It's only likely that you'll get an SQ weekend course if you start BMQ in Oct, if not you'd get a full time SQ course in the summer.

I'm not sure how they would run the training courses at your unit but I'll give you the training schedule for my unit in Alberta.

We have a weekend BMQ course running October to February followed by a weekend SQ course from February to March. Last summer we did have one full time BMQ and SQ course from July to the end of August. We also have a co-op course that is half days (1200-1800) Monday to Friday but that probably wouldn't work very good with a University schedule.

Keep in mind that for all these courses simply because they have been scheduled does not mean that they will run for sure. It depends on the number of candidates on the course, whether the units can find enough staff to instruct on the course and now whether there is money in the unit budget to run the courses. I would imagine that units in B.C. are running into these same dilemmas.

I don't know how easy it would be for you to balance your schedule with the weekend courses, but I wouldn't think that it would be very easy. School during the week and then training Friday night to Sunday night. It's a lot of learning and no breaks especially with any big assignments. I'm in college and just finished the summer courses and would recommend going that way if you can. Sure you don't end up with much of a summer vacation but you come out with a decent amount of money saved up and you can focus on school.

Hope that helps you out!

Rider12 i am also in the same situation you are..
I have a full time civi job, but want to get the resevre BMQ and SQ done in the new year. Im also from BC, are you from the vancoiver area? would be nice to try to get more ppl together if these courses dont have enough candidates, i know a few who are ready to go for their training also. Maybe we could get it filled up for the new year.
i was also told that SQ could be run part time, i would love to get it done in the summer fulltime... just try telling the boss that.

Thanks for the all the great replies, everybody! At this point, if I'm offered my position, I'll take whatever I can get. Really, I can make either weekends or summers work for me. Although weekends would be nice.

bmackay said:
Rider12 i am also in the same situation you are..
I have a full time civi job, but want to get the resevre BMQ and SQ done in the new year. Im also from BC, are you from the vancoiver area? would be nice to try to get more ppl together if these courses dont have enough candidates, i know a few who are ready to go for their training also. Maybe we could get it filled up for the new year.
i was also told that SQ could be run part time, i would love to get it done in the summer fulltime... just try telling the boss that.
Yeah, I'm from the Vancouver area. I'm lucky that I'm working for a family business. As long as they're not short staffed, I'm told I can take a couple months off :) Maybe we could start another thread here and collect candidates for weekend BMQ.

[quote author=Rider12]Maybe we could start another thread here and collect candidates for weekend BMQ.[/quote]

After a quick search on the topic of "weekend BMQ", there are already a number of threads discussing this topic. Is there a need for another one?

weekend block course BMQ

Where is Weekend BMQ

Weekend BMQ

Anyone going on Calgary weekend BMQ April 8

Weekend BMQ Questions for those in the know

BMQ every other weekend ??

Weekend BMQ Course

Weekend Basic Training

Started Reserve BMQ (Weekends)

kratz said:

Most of those threads are a few years old, and only one held any real info relating to the questions posted above.

VIChris, you did not include my whole post in your critism of answer. My reply # 8, quoted Rider12's specific comment in reply # 7.

You are correct the threads I found are old, and my point was too often new threads are started without anyone searching and applying their comments to a relevant thread.

Example: Weekend BMQ - last post 2005, new post 2009, it saves bandwidth=money for the private owner of this site.

kratz said:
VIChris, you did not include my whole post in your critism of answer. My reply # 8, quoted Rider12's specific comment in reply # 7.

You are correct the threads I found are old, and my point was too often new threads are started without anyone searching and applying their comments to a relevant thread.

Example: Weekend BMQ - last post 2005, new post 2009, it saves bandwidth=money for the private owner of this site.

You're right, my bad. Your first post was more insightful. I just find a certain level of frustration when being directed towards necroposts, or hollow threads. It's a no win situation, as often times people will rag on a new guy for bringing back a 4 year old dead thread too.

VIChris said:
You're right, my bad. Your first post was more insightful. I just find a certain level of frustration when being directed towards necroposts, or hollow threads. It's a no win situation, as often times people will rag on a new guy for bringing back a 4 year old dead thread too.

Well its six of one and half a dozen of the other.........

I know what you mean VIChris. This summer the DS provided guidance encouraging necroposts in order to reduce the frustration you mentioned. Since then, the number of posts ragging on someone bringing back an old thread has been reduced.

There is an additional benefit in continuing old thread discussons (ie: Weekend BMQ), it helps the search function produce more accurate results for new members who use it.

Thanks for clarifying official policy. That is indeed a great help, and I'll keep that in mind as I come up with more questions of my own.

Cheers!

I have already finished my CFAT and did well. Qualified for 2/3 trades. I didn't qualify for AEC. Will rewriting a CFAT will make my profile more competitive with other applicants?

CFAT scores only qualify you for the trade. It does helpmake you any more or less competitive. However, you must understand that if you write it again THAT is the score that will count. So if you score lower your score will be lower. We do not take the best of the two. MAke sure you know what your doing before you do it!

(corrected as pointed out, I got to stop typing while I'm talking to my boss)

"CFAT scores only qualify you for the trade. It does not make you any more or less competitive."

So recruiting no longer considers the CFAT result when calculating an overall score for an applicant to determine their competiveness?

"CFAT scores only qualify you for the trade. It does not make you any more or less competitive."

Incorrect. CFAT scores are used in the calculation of your overall Military Potential score along with your school marks plus your interview results. The Higher the CFAT score the higher the overall score therefore making your more competitive.

Already corrected my last fiasco. I was typing one thing while I was listening to someone talk in my ear about something totally outside work.

Everyone who jumped to my aid is absolutly correct the CFAT counts all round. The point I was trying to make before I lost the bubble was becareful about re-writing the CFAT. The second score is the one we count. It can go both ways. If you score higher then it makes you more competitive and opens up more opportunites. If you score lower you become less competitive and could close some opportunities.

Other things go towards your compeitiveness as well.

(by the way proofreading is a good thing. I'll try it more often!!)

Im having a REAL hard time finding good links to math problems, specifically the word problem questions.  Ones like:

1.  In 4 years time Angela will be twice as old as Barry and 4 times as old as Carol.  3 Years ago Angela was 3 times as old as Barry.  How old are Angela, Barry, and Carol now?

I cant for the LIFE of me figure out these type of questions and my test is on teh 4th (second attempt) :(

I already have studied my basic math like; long division, percentage, some fractional work, etc....but I am SOOOO scared (make that horrified) that I wont be able to pass the word problem areas and fail. I cannot fail!

Can someone help?

Thank YOU

First of all: relax! The CFAT is not that difficult, and you are not very likely to "fail."

Secondly, it's not testing your studying, it's testing your aptitude; if you don't have an aptitude for doing word problems, it's probably not something you can cram for and learn the day before the test.

That being said, if you want to practice, find a grade ten math textbook, and pick a handful of problems and do them in your head (ie no calculator, and hand writing the steps).

Good luck!

Thank you.

Yes I should relax, its part of the game but this is my second attempt and you cant ever apply again if you fail twice.  That is what makes me scared, but I will try and relax

Yeah I agree that it is a aptitude test and you cant really study, but its good to brush up on as well.  I like going into things prepared and this is so important to me

Thanks again for the response and I will listen by relaxing :) :salute:

That's the spirit, if you stress out about it you will only make it harder for yourself,  just go in calm and cool and you should be just fine.

Back