• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

can anyone give me some info?

Hmmm ... I suppose it‘s possible "staff duties" have changed and I‘ve become a dinosaur, but I always thought:

Capt was the Canadian military abbreviation for Captain ("Cdn Mil abbn" - even The Canadian Press Stylebook uses it, whereas the Americans are prone to using "Cpt");

Sect = Section (whereas Sec = Security); and

Pl = Platoon (not Pn, and not to be confused with Ptl = "patrol", or Pnr = "pioneer").

In addition, here‘s a few more abbn which might prove useful to a cadet in the GGHG:

armd = armoured

Tp = Troop (four tanks or Cougars; armd "equivalent" of a platoon, with an Officer In Command, or OIC)

Sqn = Squadron (armd "equivalent" of company, or coy - similarly you‘d have a Sqn Comd instead of a Coy Comd as Officer Commanding, or OC - not to be confused with the Commanding Officer, or CO of a Regt or Bn ... Regiment or Battalion)

SSM = Sqn Sergeant-Major (the armd "equivalent" of CSM)

BK = Battle Captain (not the 2IC of a sqn, and also not to be confused with BC = Battery Commander, or Bty Comd)

etc.

That‘s what I get for posting late at night!

Yes, I wasn‘t sure when I was posting the abbreviation for Captain...I believe you are right on the others, too.

And of course there is

Bn - Battalion
Regt - Regiment

And every unit in the army has an approved abbreviation - Calg Highrs is ours

Any my fav - Coy for Company

The problem with abbreviations is that some blockheads start to say the abbreviations out loud - I cringe whenever I hear someone ask about "A coy" and actually say the word "coy" instead of "company."

One of our now-gone clerks kept answering the phone "cal hi‘s" which drove the RSM to distraction - and rightly so!

Concur Bossi.

Also, I can understand how "Calg Highr" rolls off the tongue more easily.

looks like i will be being a part of the rememberance day parade after all.

Good question - this has been the topic of considerable discussion here ...

Presumably, you will be ordered to do whatever is currently correct - thus, the simple answer is wear your poppy wherever you are ordered to wear it (which might be on your jacket)

I have been told by many people that wearing your poppy over your heart, on your jacket, is the only way you are allowed to wear it. Or it is the only respectible way to wear it, but this is what I‘ve been told.

my first parade didnt go too bad
:)
i ONLY screwed up 5 times(lol),
but i have good friends who helped me out a bit.

im supposedly the ONLY recruit who actually goes out of my way to meet and talk to everybody in the first 2 weeks,which is quite sad.

yea,i gotta go buy my combats now so i‘ll rant later :)

(and if anybodys wonderin, im in the 748th Markham army cadets)

Nulli Secundus

See your learning things already
a few more abrs:

Bdr = Bombadier (Cpl in the rest of the world)
BSM - Battery Sgt Major
BK - Battery Captain (2ic of the Bty)
FOO - Forward Observaytion Officer (Land) - you figue it out.

I hope you are enjoying yourself because that is what cadets is about.

Ubique

u can belive that im enjoying myself.
:)
o and i found out y the reg force and militia dont like cadets,
seems the patriot was right.
they dont like ppl with prior expierance.
and i supposedly screwed myself over because when i join the militia and go through basic,theres gonna be more expected of me BECAUSE i was a cadet.
o well,
c‘est la vie eh

Nulli Secundus

i just niticed that the combats i bought dont have a flag patch on the right arm(but i am certain that they‘re CF drabs).
is this a cause for concern?

No need for concern, just call up the GGHG kit shop and they should probably be able to point you in the right direction. You might want to check with your cadet corps to get the RCAC combat badges to put on the shoulders of each arm.

And about being expected more of you on Basic because you‘re an ex-cadet... There‘s an easier way around that. You can tell the recruiter at the recruiting office that you‘re a former cadet. But when you‘re on basic training with the unit, remember to keep your mouth shut or your whole platoon/squad won‘t like you too much.

-the patriot-

Being a cadet is not a hinerance as long as you have the proper attitude. I have an ex-cadet in my bty and I just had an attitude ajustment chat with him as he assumed to know more than others with more experience because he was a cadet. Wrong. You‘ll do fine because to a certain extent you‘ll know whats coming and be prepared for it. That‘s where the cadet experiance will come in handy and will put you a head. However keep ity in perspective.

Ubique

Re: Kiwi shoe polish (this is not an endorsement - merely my personal musings)

Several years ago a friend from Australia gave me a tin of Kiwi "Parade Gloss" - a far superior product to the normal Kiwi, or the Kiwi "Professional" product. When I tried to import some Parade Gloss from "Down Under", I discovered it was listed as "hazardous cargo" due to its‘ high spirits content.

I contacted Kiwi Canada and asked if they‘d consider manufacturing Parade Gloss here - at the time, they declined (presumably because they figured there would be no market, and Kiwi Australia/New Zealand "Inc." had the secret formula ...)

Luckily, however, saner heads prevailed, and I‘ve since noticed Kiwi Parade Gloss (Canadian version) in a number of Canex stores (Kingston and Borden come to mind, although I haven‘t seen any recently). Presumably, it‘s also available on civvie street - over to you - you can snorkel the Net, contact Kiwi, and find out your closest distributor.

Then you can turn on the hockey game, pull up a chair, some cold water, a genuine Kiwi polishing cloth (my personal choice for special parades, otherwise there are acceptable imitations), and enjoy the time-honoured tradition of spit-polishing (N.B. it‘s best to wait until after you‘re finished polishing before partaking of popcorn - otherwise the little bits will wreck your mirror-like finish)

Have fun!

mmm
interestin,
i used that normal kiwi shoe polish stuff i got at wal-mart.
and the special kiwi liquid wax stuff that i can only find in the states.
i polished for 3 hours(albiet ,while watching tv)and shined for 20 min and it WASNT even close to my friends boots(in "shinyness")

i‘ll try to get that "parade gloss" stuff.
thx for the info

Re: Kiwi Parade Gloss
I picked up a can from Safeway. I‘m from out west so I‘m sure retailers in Toronto would have it. And yes it works.

Ubique

Back