• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

can anyone give me some info?

Re: movies and reality ...

People rarely get hurt while watching movies or reading books.
Here‘s a sad article from the Times:

September 12 2000 BRITAIN

SAS mother mourns her ‘lovely son‘
BY MICHAEL EVANS AND PAUL WILKINSON

Bombardier Brad Tinnion died after helping to rescue the six British hostages

BOMBARDIER Brad Tinnion was named last night as the soldier who was killed in Sunday‘s operation to rescue the six British hostages in Sierra Leone.

The soldier, 26, had only recently been selected as a member of the SAS.

Phyllis Collins, his mother, said last night: "We are ever so distraught about what has happened. We had a lovely son and now we have lost him for ever. Now we would like to get on and grieve."

Bombardier Tinnion, from Harrogate, was part of D Squadron SAS which attacked the West Side Boys‘ rebel camp and freed the six soldiers of The Royal Irish Regiment in a 20-minute burst of gunfire.

The SAS soldier was fatally wounded after being hit in the stomach during a heavy exchange of fire. A Royal Navy surgeon on board the Royal Fleet Auxiliary ship Sir Percivale tried to save his life in an emergency operation, but he died in the operating theatre.

"We did everything we could to save him, he had a very good surgeon working with him but he passed away on the table," Surgeon-Lieutenant John Carty said in Freetown.

Last night Charles Tinnion, Bombardier Tinnion‘s father, who is separated from the soldier‘s mother, was near tears at his home in Harrogate. He said: "For the moment I would prefer not to talk about what has happened. It is a very upsetting time for the family and we are trying to come to terms with what has happened."

He declined to confirm that his son, a former pupil at Harrogate Grammar School, had been serving with the SAS. He said: "Unfortunately I cannot say which regiment he was in as it is classified information."

The soldier was understood to be married to his childhood sweetheart whom he met while they were at school. They are thought to have a baby.

Bombardier Tinnion joined the SAS from the Royal Artillery. Last night Brigadier Jonathan Bailey, Director of the Royal Artillery, said: "Brad Tinnion died bravely doing the job he loved, helping to rescue hostages.

"We will always remember him with great pride."

The death of Bombardier Tinnion was a blow to the elite regiment whose motto, Who Dares Wins, has been the hallmark of the SAS legend. He is believed to be the third member of the regiment to die in recent weeks. Two others are reported to have been killed in a vehicle accident during training in Kenya.

The name of Bombardier Tinnion will be included among those in the SAS who have given their lives on active service which are enshrined in honour at the regiment‘s new base in Hereford.

A Ministry of Defence spokesman said: "The family of the soldier killed during the hostage rescue operation conducted by British troops in Sierra Leone have given their permission for his name to be released."

In a statement, the MoD said that Bombardier Tinnion served with the Royal Artillery. "No more details about him are being given," the MoD said. It is understood that during his career as a gunner, he served with 29 Commando Royal Artillery.

- 30 -

First off, I would say this to you: Don‘t go in expecting too much. Actually, do not go in expecting ANYTHING. I have taught at the Western Area Training Center, A.K.A. "the Center of Excellence" and all that I can say is that what I have seen and experienced there is embarrassing. The Canadian Army is deteriorating at a rapid rate. The one thing that I have noticed is the rapid drop in standards that no-one will answer to. If you go in expecting rigorous training you are all wrong. The troops get almost every weekend off, no matter how shitty there performance is. NCO‘s can not swear, and believe me, it is frowned on if you raise your voice. "To intimidating" I think is the words that they used.
There is no longer critical requirements for JNCO. Students can lead patrols, get no-where close to the objective, and still pass. They can teach a weapons class and not teach safety precautions and only loose 2 points. These are the people that will be teaching you, because myself and other instructors that may be any good are most likely never to be seen there again. Instructors are more worried about saying or doing something wrong then simply getting the job done. It is better to completly remove yourself from the situation then try to help. Another instructor and myself once came in after dinner to teach the troops how to put there webbing and rucksacks together. We got written up as "instructing unauthorized classes after hours" This is how your army is going. Everyone passes. A troop shot 9 on the PWT and passed. The weekly "pass/fail" has been removed. "Pass" has been turned to "participate" Instructors can‘t even write the word "standard" in the weekly assessments. People that voluntary RTU now are councelled for a week before being released from the platoon. These are your peers, who don‘t want to be there, that linger around and get in the way.
If your heart is set on joining the military though, I am not going to tell you not to, but I will advise you to think about it.

thx for your replys.
and thanks rev for giving me something to think about.

Well let me say...I did ten years in the reg force, another 2 in the reserves, and before that 4 or 5 in cadets...so, at 31, I gave about 16 years to Canada as I see it...I did 3 tours in some of the "funnest" places in the world...well 2, I did one in the Golan (now that is Peace Keeping)...and now what...

I joined and there was NO other career for me...even for the first 5 or 6 years in the reg force it was all I wanted...all I knew was military..my Dad was a 20 military Man..my Brother is still in the military...and so would I if the military was still "for the soldiers, sailors, and air people"...notice the P.C. shit there...hence the down fall of the Canadian Fighting Force.

I joined at the "end" of the "Good old days"...where you went out as a section, troop, or what ever on friday afternoon..enjoyed a bunch of beverages and got everything that was bothering you, whether you are a private, or a major (the highest I ever challenged), out of the way...life was good...I enjoyed it...we where soldiers...Soldiers Fight..I was taught that right from Cornwallis...but things changed...and now where is moral...

Now privates sit in barracks and read "computer weekly"...where is Huster??? They go to the gym constantly, and worrying about suppliments...while we did that...we ALWAYS had time for the mess, and more than a few beers...this was the best way to build comradery...and you always knew who was watching your back...life was great....but not too P.C.

The way I see it is..the modrn army is a smarter, and much more educated...but are they better soldiers, sailors, or airmen..I don‘t think so..they have watered down the standards to get what they see as a politically correct ratio...a democracy makes the worst soldiers...it is proven...but we fight the best when it comes to the crunch...I hope we never have to find out...because when it comes down to it...the Canadian Soldier, Sailor, or Airmen has been the best, and our record speaks for ourselfs...be proud to represntthe best country in the world, and hope that peace will remain.

Wassup all?
I filled my papers to be an Infantry officer in regular forces. I want to know what to expect from superiors and other men, since im a french speaker.I know theres the 22cd regiment but i‘m more interested in the PPCLI.Is there any chance that i‘ll get promotion? Am i loosing my time?
I know this IS what i want to do. I think i know a bit what to expect from the training point of view, i just want a larger portrait.
And can anyone explain to me what the visiting cards are?Its quite unclear.
And to echo, one of the best advice i can give you is, whatever they ask you to do or say about you, im thinking about "negative compliments" as we might call them, never take it personnaly. If some superior says your stupid, say yes sir, you‘re right sir and smile.If one asks you to do push up say yes sir and do them like it was normal stuff.The training ain‘t just physical and, i think, individuals who are mentally strong will be picked out by instructors and may have better chances to get promotion.As to what pair of socks to use, watch out for the new unis coming out, they have new pair of socks and boots and better equipment, IF it ever comes out lol.Military is always slow.

so its a
"suck it up and take their shit cuz tomorrow is another day"

kinda thing thats works best huh?
lol
i think i can deal with that.

Well thats what my friends cousin said to him as an advice, hes a major in the infantry

Forget joining the cf go to the US or UK, if you want to be a real warrior these are two easy options. You could also join the foreign legion but you probably wouldn‘t want to make a career of that.GOOD LUCK>

im joining the millitry to give back and to serve my country.
wut good would it do if i go overseas to "fight" for Canada?

Echo, you are probably joining the Militia at the right time, if LFRR is to be believed. (Reserve life goes in cyles and I‘ve been through at least two of them. I think we‘ve hit the bottom of this one - the worst I‘ve seen) Someone has finnally figuered out that we need help and it seems to be on the way. New epqt and clothing etc. From what I hear a pension plan also for those of us who stick it out. I wish you luck because the best advise I have for you is if you want it bad enough you‘ll get it, our advise or not.

Ubique
(The Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery motto for your military lesson of the day)

RCA+echo-- Agreed. The key thing is stay in school. The Res F will allow you to get an introduction to military service, while focusing on your education. If you decide to go into the Reg F, you won‘t be going in "blind".

well,
i‘ve done it,
i‘ve joined the Governer generals horse gaurds cadet cadre.

date today IS, 2/11/00.

thx for all the help,support and advice everybody has given me.

"Nulli Secundus"
(second to none)

Congratulations, echo! I hope its rewarding for you; stay in touch and let us know how things go.

i have most of my things done and rdy.
i just need to buy combats and get my uniform.
cuz i recruited this late,i most likely will not b participating in the Rememberance Day parade.
:(
but all is well,
i have 3 friends from school who‘s in the same corps. as me so i wont b completely lost.
i‘ve also learned something,

sergeant is "the fox"
MC is "the bird"
Corporal is "the maggot"
Private is "shit"
and recruits (as in me)
are "maggot shit"
lol

"Nulli Secundus"
(second to none)

(sigh ... after all that discussion about the merits and pitfalls of cadets, "res ipsa loquitor")

lol
ok,
and for the ones who dont know wut that means?(meaning ME)

can anyone tell me the abbrievations for the ranks whithin the army.
i only know the private abbrie.(PTE)
what are the others?

Rank

Pte - Private
Cpl - Corporal
MCpl - Master Corporal
Sgt - Sergeant
WO - Warrant Officer
MWO - Master Warrant Officer
CWO - Chief Warrant Officer
OCdt - Officer Cadet
2Lt - Second Lieutenant