• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cadet Dress in Public

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I'm too picky. :)

Well, maybe we just have to do that if the occasion calls for it; see what transpires.

dont get me wrong, i am all about giving cadets a fair chance to change themselves and conform to the regulations...but my leniency only goes so far

do your own thing. Issue verbal warning, written warning, extra duties, anything you can think of...you should only remove the cadet permanently as a last resort

well bring it up through your Chain of command that someone needs to put their foot down

We only know have begun to acquire officers willing to do so. Something might finally occur for the better.

I know very little about cadets, but sometimes their practices cause me to raise an eyebrow. On my weekend BMQ the other day, there was a group of Cadets at the base for some occasion or another. Half of them were dressed in uniform (one with a blob of chocolate sauce down the front  ;D) and half in civvies, formed up marching around.

are Cadets (while at Cadets functions/parades/camps/trips etc) allowed to smoke?

[quote author=CATO 13-22]
SMOKING POLICY

3. To promote a safe and healthy environment
free of tobacco smoke, cadet corps/squadron
Commanding Officers must ensure that the
following guidelines are followed:

a. continuing education program at
corps/squadron level to quit smoking is
to be encouraged;

b. smoking during instruction is
prohibited;

c. breaks for the purpose of smoking
during cadet activities are to be
discouraged;

d. the selling of tobacco products at cadet
canteens and messes is prohibited;

e. smoking during parade nights and other
training activities:

(1) in DND buildings is prohibited,
and

(2) in non-DND buildings is to be
discouraged; and

f. all personnel are to be encouraged to
refrain from smoking in the presence of
cadets.

CADET SUMMER TRAINING CENTRE
(CSTC)

4. The above guidelines for cadet corps/
squadrons must apply in all CSTCs. Because of
the intense nature of the training offered during
the summer at CSTCs, the Commanding Officers
are encouraged to implement policies to reduce
smoking by cadets and to provide a smoke-free
environment. Existing federal law prohibits the
sale of tobacco products to minors. In keeping
with the intent of this law, smoking by cadets in
CSTCs is to be discouraged. In addition, cadets
under the age of 16 shall obtain the written
authorization of their parents/guardians before
they will be permitted to smoke at a CSTC. This
policy should be widely disseminated and
included in all CSTC Joining Instructions in
order to prevent any misunderstanding by cadets
attending summer training.

5. Particular areas shall be designated and
identified as smoking areas. In addition, where
possible the areas shall be separately designated
for cadets, staff cadets or non-cadet personnel.
[/quote]

So, it should be discouraged at all times. Not permitteed, in class, in a DND building, and breaks to allow it are bad. If cadets are under 16 they need parental consent to smoke at camp, over 16 they don't, and you cannot buy tobacco products at any cadet run facility.

Now, that's the CATO, if a CO wishes they may be tougher, ie: no smoking at corp/sqn, which is what is the rule at my sqn.

there is to be no smoking for course cadets or staff cadets at a summe training center at any time. period.

for officers/CIs it is to be discouraged, and if they must, they are to be out of view of the cadets.

i believe this policy is extended to the home corps as well

Untrue. Eastern still permits it when the conditions mentioned in my first post are met. Other regions may be different however...

ok then its a Pac Region specific :D policy

i still think its a good one

Yeah it's definatly a good policy and I wish it was in effect over here as well.....

My CO has laid his views out in stone before every weekend: anyone got smoking, in his eyes, faces at least a demotion and at the most, total dismissal from the corps, if at an illegal age. This thus includes every cadet.

To date, in my 3 years, we've had but 1 incident.

:cdn:

Greetings all, I just have to say that I agree with everyones point of view on Cadet Dress Standards. Its a hard one to keep reined in at times. I always try to stress to my cadets that although they are not members of the CF, they are still in the public eye representing the CF, and because of this they must always be above reproach. I wish I had some words of wisdom but thats all I got...lol

See you in the Countermarch,

Okay,

I have to give my two cents now on Cadet dress. 

First off, when I was a Cadet, we wore the Regiment's (PPCLI) cap badge and we would not do anything to tarnish or discrace that cap badge.  Secondly, I was one of three females in my corps and if ANYTHING was wrong with my dress or hair, I would hear about it multiple times a parade night until it was corrected.

As has been said before, it all comes down to leadership and pride.  We were taught the Regiment's history (I can still remember most of it, 12 years later!) and we knew that we were representing the unit to the public, as the general public only sees a uniform and maybe the shoulder titles.  We were also very fortunate to have staff from the Regiment itself come to instruct us.  We were made to feel like part of the Regimental family and that made us feel like we had a standard to live up to.

As a serving member of the CF nowadays, I have cringed at the site of some cadets state of dress, or should I say, state of undress (no tunic, head dress and shirt not tucked in just about sent me on a rant).

For the most part, Cadets are proud of their uniform and wear it in a manner that reflects their pride.  It's just those few who stick out that we would dearly love to have "shape up or ship out".

rms

A number of people have a bias opinion about what branch of military is better (army, air, or sea) ,and there are reserves who feel they are more superior to the Cadets.

It is how a cadet wears their uniform that reflects their personal pride in their corps and their units. If you don't like ensuring dress and deportment exceeds standards, then don't stay involved in these activities. when a person who  takes no pride in their uniform, it ruins the reputation that the hardworkers set, and that hurts. In any military program, " One bad apple can ruin the whole bunch"  :'(

Buschgirl427 said:
A number of people have a bias opinion about what branch of military is better (army, air, or sea) ,and there are reserves who feel they are more superior to the Cadets.

It is how a cadet wears their uniform that reflects their personal pride in their corps and their units. If you don't like ensuring dress and deportment exceeds standards, then don't stay involved in these activities. when a person who   takes no pride in their uniform, it ruins the reputation that the hardworkers set, and that hurts. In any military program, " One bad apple can ruin the whole bunch"   :'(

I don't know if "superior" is the term - though I guess it is - remember, we are soldiers/sailors/airmen who are trained and qualified to do our jobs, we don't especially liek being compared to Cadets - you are a youth organization, and a vital one that deserves the support of your sponsoring units, but you are not "us."

That said, the dress and deportment of some cadets in the public eye makes me sick.  It is a disgrace to my regiment to see some of them in public.  There are, however, a number of cadets with whom we share our armoury who turn out very well every night, better than some soldiers even, and who truly honour the Regiment.  Fortunately they do work hard to motivate their subordinates to do the same.

When I was an Air Cadet many years ago, you could not smoke, period.  If you were seen smoking, even out of uniform, you were finished, it was that simple.  The concept of allowing cadets at camp to smoke "with parents' permission" is pretty ridiculous, since it is essentially condoning an illegal activity - even with permission (which I'd love to see these kids get!), how are they to procure cigarettes without breaking the law?!

All of you who are Cadet NCOs willing to set the example and enforce dress and deportment standards, keep at it, and good luck.  You can only benefit the Cadet movement!

Redeye said:
When I was an Air Cadet many years ago, you could not smoke, period.   If you were seen smoking, even out of uniform, you were finished, it was that simple.   The concept of allowing cadets at camp to smoke "with parents' permission" is pretty ridiculous, since it is essentially condoning an illegal activity - even with permission (which I'd love to see these kids get!), how are they to procure cigarettes without breaking the law?!
This is not so anymore. All cadet summer training centers in BC (and i believe everywhere) have now banned any and all tobacco products from the camp grounds by any cadet. Only the officers and staff (not staff cadets) are permitted to smoke, and it must be in an area that is not visible by cadets.

http://www.cadets.net/pac/images/photo_feature/2003/no_smoking/no_smoking_e.asp

The way it used to happen, is that the cadets must have a written smoking permission form from their parents, and the only way they were allowed to procure the tobacco products is if their parents bought it for them

I am quite happy that they changed this rule, as it helps to promote the physical fitness and healthy lifestyle part of the Canadian Cadet Movement

I haven't heard any change in the CSTC policy here. I'll keep my ear to the ground and post if I do figure it out. But as far as I know still permissable in Eastern.....wish otherwise........

EDIT: Just noticed the link seems to imply pac only.....should have read it first.... :-[

Even if the rules once allowed this, it has always been, "You smoke, You float," around here: our cheap plug on being expelled from the Corps with a cheap pitch against Sea Cadets. (No offence intended, just explaining our CO's views  :p)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back