• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cadet Dress in Public

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCRCrow

Inactive
Reaction score
Good Day to all Cadets.

I have a question.

Are Cadets subject to CF dress regs?

I was in my local Canex yesterday and there was a Sea Cadet Corp there.

I noticed Cadet PO's (Male with earrings) Females with Nose Rings and the male cadets, unshaven.

I found this rather appalling........any info

You think that's bad, I once saw a cadet change into his uniform on a public, rather crowded may I add, streetcar. What kind of message does this send to the public?

Yes, yes, I know this was just one individual, but still, you'd think cadets would be taught how to behave in public.

(I would've told him a thing or two but I wasn't in uniform)

I am in the army cadets, and yes we are subject to CF dress regs,but that's in my Cadet Corp, And what I see is that there is and there always will be some cadets that even don't know why they are in the cadets!! And they didn't see their own responsibility when they are in public.    But we try to make them as disciplined as we can.

No cadets are not subject to the CF dress regs, but they are used to set a standard. If the cadets you saw were not up to the standard talk to the staff responsible for them.I find cadet unit dress is only as good as the unit WO's and Officers make it.

Thanks for the info, myjeep72.

CIC Officer? The Corp I guess is only good as it leaders.

Maybe a set standard of dress for the Cadets?

I was embarrassed to see the dress of these Sea Cadets. Especially wearing Naval rig.

Crow

cadets (being considered civilians wearing military-like uniforms) are not subject to the same rules and regs as full CF Members, but they do have their own set of standards layed out in the Queen's Regulations and Orders for the Canadian Cadet Organization (Queens Regs [Cadets]) and the Cadet Administrative & Training Orders (CATOs)

I try to set my own personal standard as high as i can, and display myself to my cadets in a professional manner, hoping they will pick up a thing or 2 about keeping their uniform clean

I have seen some cadets that don't know what a Coat Hanger is, or decide to not polish their boots. It's really quite annoying.

males are not allowed to wear ear-rings, and the females are allowed to wear one set of plain studs in the ears, not in the nose, or anyplace else visible.

hair needs to be cut in military style (male) or bunned (female)

Uniform pressed, boots shone.

All the same regs as for the grown-ups.

Basically, it all depends on what their unit is, and how well they enforce it.   Usually, there is SOME lee-way, but only to a point.   We had a new recruit that wouldn't cut his mop of hair, so we just kept on holding his uniform issue, until he got a uniform cut.   After several people explained it to him, and then finally his mother, he got the hint, and got it cut.   It was either that, or he was on his way out the door.

I don't think that it would have been in-appropriate for you to have approached these individuals, and calmly explained what was incorrect.   And, if all else fails, Sea and Air cadets have their unit crests and numbers on their shoulder flashes, so you could always trace them down that way, and send an email to their CO.

Q

Some of my cadets have literally not worn a uniform to one training night all year, and it's only now that our TO is starting to harp on them something fierce. In public? Don't even try to picture that one  :'(

ho yeah ouyin Iknow what yuo mean, some times in my corps there are girls with there elastic showing  boby pins sticing out of there hair and it looks like there bun is about to fall offit almost looks liek the bun is fake and it is just a pin on and the fussy's that some girls have is enough to drive me insane .But  with a wool sock and some good gel i think that thwe girl's hair will be up to standards, but my little guy cadets well there uniform is really good

mcpl_spunky said:
ho yeah ouyin Iknow what yuo mean, some times in my corps there are girls with there elastic showing   boby pins sticing out of there hair and it looks like there bun is about to fall offit almost looks liek the bun is fake and it is just a pin on and the fussy's that some girls have is enough to drive me insane .But   with a wool sock and some good gel i think that thwe girl's hair will be up to standards, but my little guy cadets well there uniform is really good
I love the looks I get when I tell females to fix their hair, since I am a male many of them think I'm not entitled to criticize them.

But on the topic here, I agree with whats been said: the cadets are only as good as the leaders above them.  If a cadet hasn't been taught how to properly wear their uniform and can't look up to the leadership of their superiors of course they're going to look and act like a bag of hammers.

qjdb said:
males are not allowed to wear ear-rings, and the females are allowed to wear one set of plain studs in the ears, not in the nose, or anyplace else visible.

hair needs to be cut in military style (male) or bunned (female)

Q
New to the Female hair is the single braid down the center to mid shoulder or two braids same lenght.

Subject to the same regs as everyone else.  It's up to the chain of command to ENFORCE it, regardless of rank.  Hair cuts, Jewlellery, Hygene all the same as CF Members.  Dress and Deportment is what every one looks at first.  It is also what gives Cadets and CIC a bad name.

Love793 said:
Subject to the same regs as everyone else.   It's up to the chain of command to ENFORCE it, regardless of rank.   Hair cuts, Jewllery, Hygine. the same as CF Members.   Dress and Deportment is what every one looks at first.   It is also what gives Cadets and CIC a bad name.

Agreed.  

I know its been discussed Ad-Nauseum here, however once again today I was reminded of the issue of cadets in CADPAT. Now, I have no problem with cadets in OD's as they have the nice black Cadet rank slip-ons, but there were several cadets today wearing some brand of Frontenac CADPAT with no rank, no slip-ons, and their unit headdress. From 20-30 feet away the only way to tell they were non-military was by their dress and deportment, and it was not something the average civilian would know either...

Once again, though I don't like the idea of them wearing any kind of CADPAT (especially in public), it's not my call. If they want to wear it on their FTX's then I say have at 'er. However when in the public eye they should either be wearing the issued RCACC Uniform or OD's with Slip-ons... OR if youre going to wear FakePAT put some bloody cadet slip-ons on the uniform!

Guys, Be proud of being a Cadet, and live up to the part. Have some Pride in the way you walk, stand up tall, be proud, don't slouch, and keep in mind that you represent cadets everywhere in the way you dress and act in the public eye. Also keep in mind, you're not in the Reg Army or Reserve yet... all you do when you act like a wanna-be is make yourself look very silly to us military types...

Like the Rock says guys, know your role... if you're a cadet, please don't act like you're already in the military. Belive it or not, but its quite a step up from a youth movement to being a member of the armed forces... Just like I as a reservist do not go around acting like the authority on everything. Especially to the Reg force members.   As I have no buisness telling someone who does this job for a living how it should be done, when I only do it once a week and twice on Sundays ;)

Like I said, Cadets, be Proud of who and what you are. And be the best cadet you can. But please..... Remember, You're still a Cadet, when the time comes for you to join the Reserve or Reg Force we will have CADPAT and all that other Gucci Kit ready for you, once you've earned the right to wear that uniform. Remember, Wearing the uniform is a privilege not a right.

Sadly I fear Im preaching to the Chior as the many of the Cadets on these boards display a great deal of professionalism in their actions here, and (I hope) carry it over to their Dress and Deportment when in the public eye. But for those of you who already do this, I thank you sincerely and ask that you do your best to relay this message to your Cadets friends who may need to hear it.
Cheers and Regards
  Josh

I with you but CATO's state that cadets are not to wear the slipons with combats because from a distance they can look like real people. don't go there please. but they are to wear a barsard with there rank on it.
now as for cadets in cadpat thats a whole different shit storm the rules say no but the army cadet league sells them to cadets.

fake cadpats...on Cadets, who belong  to the organization called the CF and DND.

Please enlighten me?

This is wrong!!!

Cadets do not belong to the CF or DND.  They are a youth organization that encourages an interest in the canadian forces that happens to enforce doctrine similar to the CF as well as being sponsored by the DND.

Formation

46. (1) The Minister may authorize the formation of cadet organizations under the control and supervision of the Canadian Forces to consist of persons of not less than twelve years of age who have not attained the age of nineteen years.

Training, administration, provision and command

(2) The cadet organizations referred to in subsection (1) shall be trained for such periods, administered in such manner and provided with materiel and accommodation under such conditions, and shall be subject to the authority and command of such officers, as the Minister may direct.

Not part of Canadian Forces

(3) The cadet organizations referred to in subsection (1) are not comprised in the Canadian Forces.

Regardless, the Cadets may not be comprised in the CF but are sponsored by the CF, they should dress the part.

CIL Officers do and they should represent the CF interests and set an example.

Cadets wearing fake CADPAT in public does neither.

Next time I will send a rocket to NDHQ(DCdts). Crow

the specific example I observed was a Hamilton Infantry unit Cadet Corps member wearing fake Cadpat with his unit's beret... so he looked almost identical to an accuall soldier.  I have a couple questions with this

1. Is he allowed to do this? (my guess is no, but please enlighten me)

2. if he is not allowed, who do i go about reporting this to?

Cheers
  Josh

Cpl Thompson said:
the specific example I observed was a Hamilton Infantry unit Cadet Corps member wearing fake Cadpat with his unit's beret... so he looked almost identical to an accuall soldier.  I have a couple questions with this

1. Is he allowed to do this? (my guess is no, but please enlighten me)

2. if he is not allowed, who do i go about reporting this to?

Cheers
  Josh
As far as I know, he is allowed to wear the uniform. After all, it was the corps that sold the CADPAT to him.
However we realise the fact that he wasn't wearing epaulettes, (due to the fact that the current make of the uniforms don't allow it to be so,) and the CO is going to have something done about it.

I don't think cadets in CADPAT is acceptable, like you said, it's one thing to be inspired by the reservists/regs, but it's another thing to try and be them. OD's are just fine in my humble opinion - leave the CADPAT's till you're in the forces.

Another thing - the CADPAT uniforms seem to have given these certain cadets the notion that they were superior. Plenty of times I was told I couldn't even stand by them cause I was a lesser being, due to the fact that I didn't have CADPAT's or OD's. (Not that fair, is it?  :()

My verdict on the issue is... OD's yay, CADPAT's nay.

It all depends on the cadet really. However that means that the ones who arent responsible crash it all.  If a cadet can wear the uniform with pride, honour, and respect then they should be able to. These people would be the ones to say "Im not in the forces Im a cadet corporal" rather than acting like retards and running around with hippie hair who wouldnt deny being called the army.  I know that if I had the chance then I would wear CADPAT but I would NOT do anything that could cause a bad rep for the forces.

This saturday I had the pleasure of attending a Zone Shooting Competition.  The Burlington RHLI cadet sergeants and above, as well as a CI showed up in frontenac CADPAT and proceeded to act like retards.  This caused my team to shake our heads in disbelief as we were the only other corps in combats (OD's) and these people were displaying a lack of professionalism that made me want to smack them upside the head... Including a CI smoking around a cadet =/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back