• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

C13 grenade is junk

ArmyRick

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Anybody else noticing that C13s grenades have a ridicolous number of duds? (averages 1 out of 20 here at M-ford).
I remember the M67 was very reliable and I never in 14 years of using them had seen a dud.

Oh well, buy canadian.

ArmyRick, last year we ran an SQ course and averaged 40%. Thats right 4 duds out of 10 thrown! I was saying the same thing as you. Fast forward to last fall and we threw almost 100 grenades with only 2 duds. Maybe a lot number issue, something to ask the ammo techs ?
As far as the M67, you must have been extremely lucky to have never recorded a single dud in 14 years. I've been in almost 20 years and have lost track of the amount of duds that I have dealt with! That being said I still agree that the M67 was a better grenade! :salute:

Threw 200 last march in Pet, 0 duds.  Sounds like you guys were living through a lot number horror story.  Dug a wicked hole though.

is the c13 a new grenade? a replacement for the m67 or something?

On my SQ course last summer we had about 1/15 or so duds... Not too bad, but then again when you're doing FIBUA, you want every one to work, right?

Anyone heard about why these things are so comparatively unreliable?

sinblox said:
is the c13 a new grenade? a replacement for the m67 or something?

It's just the Canadian version the US M67...you know...M16=C7, M19=C19, etc.

..and the C13 is manufactured in Canada. The M67 was made in the US of A.

C-13 caused a huge problem at ARC 04 in Meaford, as the amount of DUDs caused rescheduling of range times for 2 complete coys.  One platoon had 6 duds in the morning and it ended up throwng the hole range schedule out to lunch for about 2 weeks.

The Ammunition world is aware of the defects with this item, Ammunition Restriction # 1330-04-01-21 Lists Lots with excessive Dud's. Your supporting ammo compound should not be issuing any of the resticed lots, If your unit is having excessive Duds then the supporting Ammo Compound must be told. A CF 410 is the form to let the Ammo world know there is a problem.

Just a small point. The C13 is not manufactured in Canada but rather "assembled" in Canada (SNC) from parts purchased in the USA.

I was a bay NCO again for my course today. We were informed the fuzes have now been re-conditioned and it may take upwards to 7 seconds for these bad boys to go off.

We threw 63 grenades and then we finally hit a dud.  :(

However the last two went off without a hitch.  :D

We threw a few on Roto II prep - no dud issue.  However I cant recall if they where old stock M67's or the C13's.

I do know we had C13's overseas and am glad I found out about this thread afterwards  ::)

ArmyRick said:
I was a bay NCO again for my course today. We were informed the fuzes have now been re-conditioned and it may take upwards to 7 seconds for these bad boys to go off.

Am I the only one thinking WTF?
7 secs is a long time for a grenade to go off... What happened to the fuzes that caused this... oddness?

We threw 60 last weekend got 0 duds.   IF theres a problem with the grenade shouldnt it be a bad fuze?    The C13 uses the exact same  fuze as the M67, the M213.

i also think the c13 is junk men did i liked the previous ones

I'm just wondering how you could possibly even have thrown any of the old M67s if you are as your profile says and only 16?  

damm ammo you beat me....

Sounds like someone is straying outside his lane....

it's not because i'm 16 that i've never tried anything dude my dad's a millitary freak during my older days i used to throw nades and go fire some .50cal with him.

bobtiji said:
it's not because i'm 16 that i've never tried anything dude my dad's a millitary freak during my older days i used to throw nades and go fire some .50cal with him.

Is your Dad in some sort of club? Where (what range location) did you throw live grenades and fire .50 for fun? Or did you kinda just do this stuff in the backyard?

Back