• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Boot, General Purpose (Mk III acting/interim replacement)

Have these boots replaced the Mark 3's and the WW Boots - or are WW boots still issued?

I have been wearing WW boots since they were issued to me 4 years ago - I wear them every season (albeit West Coast BC only has 2 seasons).

Looking forward to scrounging myself another pair of boots... :)

Zoomie said:
Have these boots replaced the Mark 3's and the WW Boots - or are WW boots still issued?

I have been wearing WW boots since they were issued to me 4 years ago - I wear them every season (albeit West Coast BC only has 2 seasons).

Yes & no.

They are replacing the MkIII;

but are issued, in addition to, the WW Boot.

ArmyVern said:
The Boots, GP were to come in the very same range of sizes (width/depth/length) as the WW Boots.

It is entirely possible that your required size just hasn't made it's way to your location yet. They're coming, they're a brand new item into the system; it can't all be done overnight.

PS ... we've yet to receive a single pair of the new GP boots, any size, at this location.

As far as the sizing, I was told that although the numbers are the same for the GP and WWB, the added insulation and internal construction of the WWB makes the sizing different and my exprience with the two seems to validate that.

I'm on my 3rd set of GPs (trying to find the right size) and had to wait a min. of 4 weeks for each pair.  I was told the pair I recently recieved was the next size down and the ones I had were definitely too big.  My past course officer wore Swats he said he was issued after being unable to get an appropiate size in the GPs.

Also, when you say they are brand new to the system, havn't they been available for some months now?  Unless of course I'm confused and were talking about a different GP boot that bears no resemblance to the WWB. 

Zoomie said:

I find the WWB to be comfortable, but from my limited experience, I find it just can't be practically worn by an Infanteer during the summer months.  Too hot, too heavy.

DirtyDog said:
Also, when you say they are brand new to the system, havn't they been available for some months now?  Unless of course I'm confused and were talking about a different GP boot that bears no resemblance to the WWB. 

They come in 62 sizes .... give it time.

Yes, they began coming into the system a couple of months ago. Priority for distribution being to pri 1 manned locations and on down the line as the contractor continues to deliver into the pipeline. Delivery from the contractor is ongoing.

It's pretty difficult to receive every size from contract, distribute and deliver to every Unit overnight. The implementation and distribution of new CFSS items takes times.

DirtyDog said:
I find the WWB to be comfortable, but from my limited experience, I find it just can't be practically worn by an Infanteer during the summer months.  Too hot, too heavy.

Ergo the GP Boot.

Just got 2 pairs to replace my 10 year old mk III's and its like walking on pillows, of course hung over first thing in the morning I sometimes confuse them with the WWB.......until I take a step. Mike cure every geardo out there buying whatever they can from an army surplus store hoping it's better than the mk III.

ArtyNewbie said:
Just got 2 pairs to replace my 10 year old mk III's and its like walking on pillows, of course hung over first thing in the morning I sometimes confuse them with the WWB.......until I take a step. Mike cure every geardo out there buying whatever they can from an army surplus store hoping it's better than the mk III.

I disagree. They're still much heavier than Magnums, SWATs, etc. I don't consider my GPs to be a be all and end all; merely my 'best' alternative for when I can't get away with non issued boots, or for rugger field use. For tromping around base while on course, or for doing OBUA I'll stick with my magnums.

That said, they are a notable improvement over the MKIIIs and WWBs. No argument there.

Just Wondering Vern, since you are the Ninja SME on Supply, will it be at all possible being as Im a sick little man who enjoys his MkIII Caddies Immensly, to buy a triwall of unissued MkIII's at some point in my size.

http://crownassets.pwgsc.gc.ca/main-e.cfm?RegionCd=OT0&sidenavcmd=whatsforsale&subcmd=publicsales&PublicSaleRegion=ncrsales.cfm

I've heard of people going to some of the crown asset auctions, and finding triwalls of boots.

Dixon said:
Just Wondering Vern, since you are the Ninja SME on Supply, will it be at all possible being as Im a sick little man who enjoys his MkIII Caddies Immensly, to buy a triwall of unissued MkIII's at some point in my size.

Well,

All the leather is thrown into one triwall and is listed by CADC as "scrap leather." The description may go further and state "footwear." The description that you see on the bid lots at CADC is the one provided by whichever Base Supply's R&D Section.

But, we amalgamate at R&D Section before reporting the scrap to CADC. You'll get scrap leather. It may be an assortment of a whole bunch of different types of footwear that are being scrapped (they'll be punched through the tongue etc to prevent someone 'trading' them in at Clothing), or a whole mismash (real word??) of scrap leather items with a couple pairs of boots.

When you bid on a triwall ... it's usually like bidding on one of those little "surprise loot bags." You never never know what you'll get. There are NO guarantees (it even says that in the small print!!) ...

I was going to make my own thread about this but I see someone beat me too it.

What the hell is with those boots? Did we even trial them or did someone just decide to buy them?

Apparently whoever decided to buy them ignored ALL the feedback about the wet weather boots.
Ie good for standing on a range, horrible for marching.

Seriously, could these 'new' boots just be an april fools joke or something?
I just did  a 13K ruck march followed by what amounted to a 20ish km day & night nav ex the next day with them. My first real test. I can't even stand, next week I'm going back to clothing stores and gonna try and sweet talk the supply techs into swaping me back the brand new mark 3's I traded in for these monsters  :(
Other wise their going in the closet with my boots ruber stupid.

Vern, wanna trade anything for a pair of 7Fs?  ;D

Maybe that's the problem?? You were fine in Mk IIIs, but the WW boots have vibram soles!!  >:D

I am sooooo keeping my MkIIIs. I love those little black cadillacs.  :)

7Fs ... those are water skiis!! I wear a 5.5E buddy!!  ;D

Flawed Design said:
Naw I pay out of my pocket to get vibram soles thrown on the MK3s.

Then yours should last you forever. Why do you need to trade?? Please do NOT tell me that they made you trade them in to get the new ones ... because that would NOT be on.  :-\

They wore out.

I traded in my brand new MK3s because they were just a little small so I was going to try and get 7&1/2. They didn't have those and offered me the new boots. I caught shinny kit syndrome and took em. Serves me right I suppose.

Hey Vern

In Pet even if you have a medical chit for vibram Mk 3's when your boots wear out and you want to exchange them you are not given a choice and must take Mk 4's which seeing as they are basicaly CWW Boot's are about as comfottable on my feet as knives into my toes and bricks on my soles I am less then happy with. Now I have a Physio chit to get Converses Boots (black) but it seems the new system does not like this Chit thing..... Any suggestions?

HitorMiss said:
Hey Vern

In Pet even if you have a medical chit for vibram Mk 3's when your boots wear out and you want to exchange them you are not given a choice and must take Mk 4's which seeing as they are basicaly CWW Boot's are about as comfottable on my feet as knives into my toes and bricks on my soles I am less then happy with. Now I have a Physio chit to get Converses Boots (black) but it seems the new system does not like this Chit thing..... Any suggestions?

I see where they are going with this.

If your MkIIIs wear out and need to be resoled with the vibram sole ... they have to pay for that to be done. Ergo, they make you take the new boots instead (because your med chit simply reads "requires boot with vibram sole") because they already have vibram soles, are in stock, and won't cost that Crown money that hasn't already been spent.

Converse boots are canvas sided I think?? Can you confirm?? I can check for an update, but last I heard they had decided that mesh-sided boots (in lieu of black combat boots) could only be purchased for medical reasons such as rash etc (thus not a physio call ... but an MO call).

As I understood it,

Vibram soles: Physio jurisdiction.
Mesh sided: Medical jurisdiction.

I'd need to confirm what the current policy is.

There was something that came out in writing that said that "specific makes" of boots could NOT be prescribed ... as physio/medical have no way of determining that only that "specific" boot will benefit you.

Edited to add: and that last part about the "specific make" was something on the medical side of the house, not the supply side.

Back