• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BMQ / BMOQ - Personal Electronics during course [MERGED]

This thread is getting tiresome. The decision was made and that's that.

The sky is not falling and the world is still turning. We can debate this til the cows come home. I suggest we cease and desist for a bit.

Jim Seggie said:
This thread is getting tiresome. The decision was made and that's that.

Then avoid reading it. This is not the first thread about a decision and it won't be the last. If we didn't discuss decisions that were "made and that's that", we could cut the size of this site in, at least, half.

dogger1936 said:
I agree. However it looks like he was given a task of increasing output and ensuring a lower VR rate and he seems to have done it.

Yet the numbers crunched by another officer indicted that there was an increased release rate after basic due to;
-people quitting
-people failing their trades course
-administrative/discipline releases
-medical releases

So more people are passing basic only to quit for other reasons down the road. 66% more recruits pass basic, the same amount apparently release shortly after for various reasons. 
Still the basic VR rate is decreased so technically in the words of George W Bush, mission accomplished :)

What happens when these youth are placed into country Sh*thole X and get a 5min SAT phone call once every couple weeks.

They disappear for an hour or two every night with the SAT phone.
Log into facebook to message people that they are doing a river run the next day.
Buy a cell phone in KAF with $900 worth of phone cards and give the ISI types some overtime pay.

1. What happens when yelling is deemed too degrading so instructors are no longer allowed to raise their voice? 
2. Next week nights and weekends are guaranteed. We don't want to stress these guys and gals, basic truly becomes 8-4.
3. Maybe every week the students can get together and assess their staff and if the students don't feel that the staff are instructing them very well passing on all the pertinent information the instructors get placed on a warning system of their own. After 3 bad student assessments the instructor is punted and replaced.

Might sound crazy but if it keeps our young recruits in the system a little longer maybe we should consider it  ;)

:argument:

I truly do not believe that this conversation would not have been locked already, if it had been started by more inexperienced forum members.  And some of the participants would be the first on the band wagon, shouting "stop beating the dead horse."

RDJP said:
:argument:

I truly do not believe that this conversation would not have been locked already, if it had been started by more inexperienced forum members.  And some of the participants would be the first on the band wagon, shouting "stop beating the dead horse."

:boring:  Your chip is showing.  However, I agree that this thread has been circling the drain for quite a while now.

Really?? It's policy change ... there's shitloads of threads on this site dealing with policy changes that are open, unlocked and controversial. Do a search.

No more Fitness test for recruits being one amongst a great many others. Us old guys were told then too, it's done; quit whining. We were right. We've now paid people for years while they sat in the fat farm because we just couldn't hold our ground and say, "you're enrolling in the CF, get in shape or we will NOT call you."  ::)

Easy to say, lock it up, it's done. But, really it's not because this policy negatively affects us "old guys" at training establishments further down the cycle and on bases when we have to deal with the youngsters coming into our Units and courses with very high expectations and hopes but very very minimal doses of actual reality as to what every day in the CF is like because they were coddled through their BMQs/BOTP.

So, what is done and over with for the happy little recruits now ... has only just started the nightmare for those of us who will soon deal with sorting out the aftermath of basic courses no longer concentrating on high stress and the military basics.

Swingline1984 said:
:boring:  Your chip is showing. 

Its ok, he was in the reserves for a summer 20 years ago.  ::)

I do agree on one thing. Its done so better just figure out how best to mitigate it for the rest of us down the line. Would be interesting to revisit this in a year or so with site members who teach at trade schools to see how it is going.

ArmyVern said:
Easy to say, lock it up, it's done. But, really it's not because this policy negatively affects us "old guys" at training establishments further down the cycle and on bases when we have to deal with the youngsters coming into our Units and courses with very high expectations and hopes but very very minimal doses of actual reality as to what every day in the CF is like because they were coddled through their BMQs/BOTP.

So, what is done and over with for the happy little recruits now ... has only just started the nightmare for those of us who will soon deal with sorting out the aftermath of basic courses no longer concentrating on high stress and the military basics.
Because I cause temper-tantrums when I post in Recruiting threads (or even talk about recruits in other threads, apparently), I'll refrain from commenting, and just say " :nod: "

;)

No mod voice here:

I am interested in seeing how this goes seeing as my industry gets a load of ex military types coming in after they leave. And I can't wait to see what happens to the first guy who starts whining offshore because he can't have his iThingies. I actually hope one of them ends up working with me :nod:

I find the whole conversation quite relevant.

CDN Aviator said:
Its ok, he was in the reserves for a summer 20 years ago.  ::)

That's right...obviously unless I'm as seasoned as you in the military, my comments are useless.  ;D

I'm in agreement that we'll have to see how it plays out.  But I still think it's going to be okay, same as the introduction of any other piece of technology over the years.  Sure, things won't be the same....but neither is society, so getting rid of these PEDs for Basic, IMHO, isn't going to improve anything.  Simply need to adapt training to the mindset of the new recruits in order to make sure you have the desired product on the other end.  Personally, if I was an instructor I'd be making a point of nailing people with these PEDs WHEN their use negatively affected their performance.  And if it didn't, let things lie as they are. 

BTW, in regards to your personal attack, being through Basic 22 years ago....if I do get in again (and I stress the IF part), then perhaps I'll have a better view on what Basic is like now with PEDs and how it affects things.  Granted, it will be just a comparison between two Basic courses, where even the difference in instructors and recruits can cause a lot of variance, but I will have the opportunity to see how things have changed over the years.  I\d actually be interested to see how much of a difference there is, and IF (in my opinion only, of course) it is negatively changing things.  ;)

RDJP said:
WHEN their use negatively affected their performance. 

To me it is not just an issue of negatively affecting performance. It is an issue of proper socialization. Life in the military is not like it is on civvie street. BMQ is supposed to be where members make that transition. We accomplish this less and less as time goes by. These people will move on, after BMQ, to schools where PEDs are not acceptable. They will go to units where the simple act of having one on you is forbidden ( mine for example). They will go to places where 24/7 constant electronic contact is not possible.

BMQ was step one in getting them, and their families used to that. It was step one in getting them to think of their tasks and their team rather than outside factors.

We (the CF) will, of course make out ok in the end. Unfortunately, it will be the battle school WO that will have the burden of releasing them, as opposed the the CFLRS platoon WO and more time and money will have been wasted for the same result.

RDJP said:
That's right...obviously unless I'm as seasoned as you in the military, my comments are useless.  ;D

Your opinion is most welcome. It is in fact required for a discussion to happen. However your reserve summer and the other guy's 3 weekends.........well, i give it the appropriate weight. I still have allot to learn but my opinion here is based on almost 2 decades (that includes years of instructing, dealing with the failings of CFLRS).

We need a higher standard product from CFLRS, not numbers.

Grimaldus said:
Yet the numbers crunched by another officer indicted that there was an increased release rate after basic due to;
-people quitting
-people failing their trades course
-administrative/discipline releases
-medical releases

So more people are passing basic only to quit for other reasons down the road. 66% more recruits pass basic, the same amount apparently release shortly after for various reasons. 
Still the basic VR rate is decreased so technically in the words of George W Bush, mission accomplished :)

[/quote

A policy that corrupts the reason for basic. To weed out undesirables and save the tax payers money in training soldiers who are junk.  Instead of getting them sent home early we now waste more money; as trades courses end up being more difficult than basic.

Why do we even send them to basic? Current direction of policy would be improved by making basic DL and just have em show up to trades training when their ready.

Epic fail.

CDN Aviator said:
Your opinion is most welcome. It is in fact required for a discussion to happen. However your reserve summer and the other guy's 3 weekends.........well, i give it the appropriate weight. I still have allot to learn but my opinion here is based on almost 2 decades (that includes years of instructing, dealing with the failings of CFLRS).

I don't consider my opinion welcome when the best you can do is throw out a personal attack. But I'll accept that, and leave it at that.  :)

We need a higher standard product from CFLRS, not numbers.

Of this, I will still agree.  I see the same thing in the education system, and I think if you were to be in a working situation with me, we'd both probably be happy with the level of standards we're both setting. 

Higher standard - yes, that is probably needed.  But again, I don't think that PED use is going to affect that as negatively as you suggest.  I also cannot believe that there is a 66% improvement just due to that.  I would think that it would be the same as what I have seen in the education system.....numbers of students grauduating or passing achievement exams is not high enough, so a new policy comes in.  Everyone sees the writing on the wall, and a LOT of other things slide, producing the desired "on paper" results.

I think the focus needs to be on ensuring that the recruits are instructed at the best standard available, and not be led astray by one little policy so that huge results are formed incidentally.

As for this causing issues later.....you can still have that happening right now, even with it not being introduced into Basic.  We have teachers of all ages that have issues with PED use, and it is NOT because they used them during high school.

RDJP said:
I don't consider my opinion welcome when the best you can do is throw out a personal attack. But I'll accept that, and leave it at that.  :)

Not a personal attack. You have precious little experience to put this into context. Thats it, thats all.

you can still have that happening right now, even with it not being introduced into Basic. 

Of course. That is not a reason, however, to introduce one more problem into the mix. Again, this is not about the PEDs themselves. Remove "PED" and insert "bubble gum" and the problem is still the same. Basic training is not just about teaching skills, it is about forming a completely new mindset, one that is unlike anything in civvie street. Life is very different and the sooner they recruits get used to that, the better. Going without something for 4 weeks should not result in 66% more releases. That it does says something about how we select individuals for service. Maybe the solution lies there.

It needs to be pointed out that BMQ is not only about teaching, it is about selection.  One of the objectives of BMQ is to filter out those individuals that just can not or will not be able to function in the military.  What is currently acceptable or normal in society as a whole has no bearing whatsoever on what the military needs from it's members.
As has been pointed out by more senior members, it is much better to filter unsuitable pers out at the BMQ level.  Letting them past this level only wastes training time and training budgets.

Oddly enough, many of the OPME courses (taken by many NCMs and required for all officers) spend considerable time discussing the importance of socializing new recruits to our military ethos and of inculcating those pers to our culture.  The formative stage where this needs to happen is basic training (all of BMQ/BMOQ, environmental qual, and basic occupation qual).

The appropriateness of a smart-phone/PED policy (any such policy, not just this particular one here) can only be judged in the context of how it impacts the successful indoctrination to the military family and life.  A policy that purges extraordinary quantities of candidates because it is so alien to the modern generation is just as bad as a policy which graduates service members without the necessary values and work ethic.  It is possible that this new policy is an improvement when viewed macroscopically from the end product coming out of the occupational schools.

As I mentioned earlier, some US Army schools have integrated issued PEDs (iPhones) into their programmes to exploit the cultural addiction of the current recruit base.  This does not have to be an all or nothing consideration.

Grimaldus said:
I hope you were not one previously complaining of the suspect nature of the statistics used to make the new policy.  At best, there is also not yet the data to statistically assess this impact.  Anecdotally, this may be the case.  However, all the other uncontrolled variables all ready identified continue to exist and impact on the courses beyond BMQ ... including the nagging fact that the numbers are boarder-line statistically significant and the individuals were a sample biased full of questionable performers.

MAJONES said:
It needs to be pointed out that BMQ is not only about teaching, it is about selection.  One of the objectives of BMQ is to filter out those individuals that just can not or will not be able to function in the military. 
"They" would tell you that the recruiting center is to be the point of selection, and the job of training systems is to get the selected to the required standard. Maybe "they" are right or maybe "they" are wrong.  In any case ....

MAJONES said:
What is currently acceptable or normal in society as a whole has no bearing whatsoever on what the military needs from it's members.
True, but where a requirement of service culture is so alien, to the current generation of recruits, that it is a principle driving-factor in training systems failures - should we throw candidates into the deep-end of the pool on day one and demand them to swim or could we gain greater success building them up and throwing them into that same deep-end at the start of environmental training instead

I know of Army schools that have established indoctrination policies that apply to all DP1 training (across MOS trained within those schools) and with additional protocols specific to officer DP1 courses to further emphasis leadership characteristics.  The specific stressors used for indoctrination are specifically prescribed (including access to cellphones/PEDs, access to base amenities, working hours, lights-out times, limitations on movement, participation in sports/fitness/team-building, restrictions on alcohol, etc), minimum durations of indoctrination are given, and the the standards (both team and individual) of evaluation are defined to earn progressive levels of independence.

I would hope every CF training establishment has such a policy if it is responsible for such training.  Earlier in this thread it was suggested that the iPhone/PED standard was not uniform across CFLRS.  If true, this lack of uniformity is equally as  bad as a questionable policy now in place on PEDs.  Given the importance of CFLRS as the first stage of indoctrination - the level of indoctrination should be clearly defined.  PED policies can then be measured both against the quality and quantity of out-put.  Subsequent training establishments could then also count on a specific standard of service member arriving for further training (and in turn develop their indoctrination plans/policies from this start point).

I would hope that the Army also has an indoctrination policy for BMQL because it is run at four different training establishments - if such a policy exists, I am unaware of it.  This would ensure a uniform standard of soldier arriving at Army schools for occupational training.

... So, for those in the know, what is the CFLRS plan for indoctrination (or is there such a plan)?

CDN Aviator said:
Not a personal attack. You have precious little experience to put this into context. Thats it, thats all.

How much precious experience do you have instructing in a setting where PEDs are allowed? A lot of what you're stating is just conjecture and personal opinion, not experience. And a lot of it might just be fear of the unknown. Can you tell us how this has affected the courses you teach?

Progress comes in many ways, shapes, and forms. And thank God, because otherwise we'd be still standing in open fields in nice pretty lines trading shots at each other.

RDJP said:
How much precious experience do you have instructing in a setting where PEDs are allowed?

Quite a bit.

And a lot of it might just be fear of the unknown.

The unknown doesn't bother me.

Can you tell us how this has affected the courses you teach?

It did not as students that came to me had been properly socialized early on, as they had already completed BMQ. Like i said, that this time is PEDs is immaterial. It could have been anything else at all. If the issue was no coffee" for 4 weeks and students were releasing because of that, i would rather see them leave.

Further, this is not about performance on course. This is about proper adjustment to the realities of military life. That is the part you are missing and will continue to do so because "Pres for a summer" just isn't enough for you to put this into perspective.

Anyways, i am done with you and this whole thing.

RDJP said:
How much precious experience do you have instructing in a setting where PEDs are allowed? A lot of what you're stating is just conjecture and personal opinion, not experience. And a lot of it might just be fear of the unknown. Can you tell us how this has affected the courses you teach?

Progress comes in many ways, shapes, and forms. And thank God, because otherwise we'd be still standing in open fields in nice pretty lines trading shots at each other.

Wow, you really can't see the forest for the trees eh?  The issue is broader than the devices themselves, it is the end product (the soldier) we are debating not just the policy.  So tell me...how many "products" of the Military School system do you see, and what qualifies you to even understand what the true issue is?  As a Warrant Officer upon whom the training system spits out it's product I am definitely seeing a difference in quality and an increasing need for re-education.  As I stated earlier, this is not THE point of failure, but it is another concession in a long series of such that is having a detrimental effect.  End of the world?  No.  Making MY job harder than it has to be?  Yes.

Back