• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Basic Up

Season 2 Episode 2 is now out, and available here;
http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/land-terre/life-vie/basic-voie/episode-eng.asp?id=2

Expect the Canadian Army News channel on youtube to upload it anytime soon.
http://www.youtube.com/user/CanadianArmyNews

Captain Coffee said:
I also like that there's no narrator this time around.  Not that I minded it last time...  But now the action sort of speaks for itself.  I freaking love the guy in the french series showing up for his BMQ with a Mohawk!  Why not?  They're just going to shave it all off in the first couple of days anyways.  lol

No worries, they replaced the narrator with crummy music.

Rajneesh said:
If basic training started near the end of October, then we're going to see beautiful Farnham in the winter.  I was there in the winter and damn near froze to death.  I don't envy these guys a bit!!

Farnham in winter is still better than Farnham in the summer. You may be chilly, but at least you can sleep without being bitten every 3 seconds.

gcclarke said:
Farnham in winter is still better than Farnham in the summer. You may be chilly, but at least you can sleep without being bitten every 3 seconds.

Sleep in Farnham??????  what is this concept you're talking about.

And for anyone awaiting the call and watching Basic UP, I can guarantee you that BMQ is nowhere near as fun as it appears on those videos (well here in hell platoon anyway).  But then everything recruiting seems to tell you seems to be a pretty thick half-truth.

And for anyone awaiting the call and watching Basic UP, I can guarantee you that BMQ is nowhere near as fun as it appears on those videos (well here in hell platoon anyway).  But then everything recruiting seems to tell you seems to be a pretty thick half-truth.
[/quote]

I think some people were talking about this a while back.  It's true though, you don't see the hours of classroom time, or waiting in line, or mopping the floors etc, etc...

The only thing more boring than those things is watching someone else do those things on tv!  ::)

Today's episode was sweet.

I love MBdr Sylvain Enault.  He's tough as nails, and is hilarious.  The PT was awesome...

"Don't put your knee on the ground!  Aren't you proud to join the Army?  Show me that!"

"If you have the heart, I'm sure you can do more all the time!"

"You're not in shape!?  Then why did you join the army?  You're not prepared to join the Army!  What you feel it'd be good to join the Army?  Oh!  I want to be a Rambo."

"Don't walk!  Over there!  If you're walking, you show me you have no heart!  Running! All the FUCKING time!"

"You are not ready to join MY army.  So tonight, take a second, and get a VR sheet.  Fill it out, and get out.  If you are enough proud, show me you're ready to be in the army."

"Is that real puke or are you faking?  Yeah?  That's what I want to see, now I know that you work hard."

Gary D. in SK said:
Sleep in Farnham??????  what is this concept you're talking about.

If you wanted to have fun, why did you join?  There are lots of other places to have fun.  There is no "hell platoon" in basic training.  If you think basic is hell, just wait and see.  As for videos showing folks having fun...duh...what exactly have you been watching.  Suck it up private or like MBdr Enault says "You are not ready to join MY army.  So tonight, take a second, and get a VR sheet.  Fill it out, and get out."

Rajneesh said:
If you wanted to have fun, why did you join?  There are lots of other places to have fun.  There is no "hell platoon" in basic training.  If you think basic is hell, just wait and see.  As for videos showing folks having fun...duh...what exactly have you been watching.  Suck it up private or like MBdr Enault says "You are not ready to join MY army.  So tonight, take a second, and get a VR sheet.  Fill it out, and get out."

Wow, lighten up, man!  I think the response by Gary D. was to explain to future and potential recruits that BMQ isn't a "reality show".  Everyone at BMQ thinks their platoon is "hell" platoon.  ;)

As far as the "suck it up Private" comment - what rank* are you??  ::)

Rajneesh said:
Makes me want to go and join up!

*Not that we use any here......

Edit to add:  BTW, nice post and run.

Last Active: Today at 12:24:31

Anyone who graduates St Jean has my respect, admiration and envy for the new skills they will be learning. I've watched Basic Up.  I have the two "Truth, Duty, Valour" BMQ eps recorded as well. Their graduation parades...well let's say I wouldn't have missed it - as a spectator - for the world.

Season 2 Episode 3 is up (incase people didnt notice)
http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/land-terre/life-vie/basic-voie/episode-eng.asp?id=3

I don't want to sound all "Hoo ah!" or anything because I'm not, but I thought St. Jean was the funnest and best 15 weeks of my life and that if anything, watching Basic Up made it look worse than it actually was. Apparently I'm alone in that department though...

I was also pretty lonely in loving Farnham and almost crying when I had to leave the Mega. And lonely in the fact that I had actually done some real work, physical labour before, and so I knew what I'd be doing that summer if I weren't at BMOQ... that usually kept me from joining in on the complaining.

ballz said:
I don't want to sound all "Hoo ah!" or anything because I'm not, but I thought St. Jean was the funnest and best 15 weeks of my life and that if anything, watching Basic Up made it look worse than it actually was. Apparently I'm alone in that department though...

I was also pretty lonely in loving Farnham and almost crying when I had to leave the Mega. And lonely in the fact that I had actually done some real work, physical labour before, and so I knew what I'd be doing that summer if I weren't at BMOQ... that usually kept me from joining in on the complaining.

Guess it all comes down to attitude.  If you`re in the right place for it mentally it`s pretty easy.  If you`re not then it`s hell.  Of course being in shape physically helps a whole lot!

And shared misery is a bonding experience, you`ll remember most of the people from your BMQ for the rest of your life, especially if it`s a challenging experience.

Well I guess theres no more watching basic up or any canadianarmynews videos on youtube. The account has been suspended.

What's up with that? I guess we will have to watch videos from the DND site.

The french Canadian army news channel is still working.

http://www.youtube.com/user/NouvellesdelArmeeCdn

I was surprised to see the channel closed down, its not like they were infringing anything that I could see.

My friend (who was the only female to pass basic in Reloaded) stated that the 13km hike was the hardest part and the video made things look worse as well.

I also noticed that MBdr Enault dissapeared after the third episode. Were they afraid he would scare off recruits? Personally thats the guy I want in charge of my platoon: The hardass that is going to push you to do your best!

robbiewho? said:
I also noticed that MBdr Enault dissapeared after the third episode. Were they afraid he would scare off recruits?

Don't read into too much, there's a million and 1 reasons he could have left the platoon. Staff gets moved around quite a bit for various reasons. We lost 1 staff because he was going back to his battalion to start training for deployment to A-stan, we lost another because he was being moved to the new platoon of doctors/dentists, around week 8 we got a staff member from our sister platoon because we were understaffed, etc.

I'm sure he was probably moved due to necessity and not because they were worried about how he was doing his job.

Today at Wal Mart in Langford, I saw a dead ringer for OS Gordon. If he was posted out here to Esquimalt, I suppose it could have been him.

Shame about the Youtube account going down, it seems to be much better quality video vs. the DND site.

ballz said:
Don't read into too much, there's a million and 1 reasons he could have left the platoon. Staff gets moved around quite a bit for various reasons. We lost 1 staff because he was going back to his battalion to start training for deployment to A-stan, we lost another because he was being moved to the new platoon of doctors/dentists, around week 8 we got a staff member from our sister platoon because we were understaffed, etc.

I'm sure he was probably moved due to necessity and not because they were worried about how he was doing his job.

Thanks for the tip. I think I seen him in a later episode and he was instructing another platoon. It was hard to tell but I kept hearing "Heart" and "***k" being used several times in one sentence in the background.

Back