• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Basic Up

I wouldn't want to rain on anyone's parade, but the Basic UP series aren't to be taken too seriously.
Personally, I watched them before my basic, and boy was it a let down once I started mine. Even a "hell" platoon is not as hard *** as the videos'.

Honestly, staff lost _a lot_ of rights over the candidates.

Prepare yourself mentally and you'll be fine, don't stress over _anything_, don't be arrogant, be honest, and your staff will push you to your limits, and you'll grow much more than going around the rules (2nd kits, hiding electronics, etc.).

And maybe you'll wind up liking doing pushups and paying for others' mistakes!  ;D
As much as I hate BMQ, I'll miss it once I'm graduated... it's a great challenge, can't wait for SQ/BMQ-L though!

Use the Basic UP videos for the inspections and an overall look, note the details during inspections.
BTW, don't take crap from people with the graduate cornflake badges, they are recruits, some like to mess with non-badges.  :-X

No offence to freakers, but if I was to offer one piece of advice to people going into basic it would be this: try to stay away from people who think they know everything about everyone and every detail about basic and st-jean, these people tend to have done at least one stint in warrior or A platoon and in a lot of cases will end up back off platoon sooner or later. Dont let the fuck up's influence your attitude or behaviour, go in with an open mind and try to keep it.

P.S.  By no means am I saying all people on warrior or A are garbage, anyone can get hurt and I've seen a couple people get recoursed who certainly didn't deserve to(although "thats what they all say")

Smity199 said:
No offence to freakers, but if I was to offer one piece of advice to people going into basic it would be this: try to stay away from people who think they know everything about everyone and every detail about basic and st-jean, these people tend to have done at least one stint in warrior or A platoon and in a lot of cases will end up back off platoon sooner or later. Dont let the frig up's influence your attitude or behaviour, go in with an open mind and try to keep it.

P.S.  By no means am I saying all people on warrior or A are garbage, anyone can get hurt and I've seen a couple people get recoursed who certainly didn't deserve to(although "thats what they all say")

Wow, you are starting out with quite the preconceived ideas and stereotypes, aren't you? You might be surprised to discover that a fair number of your platoon mates will have some type of 'experience' in basic training prior being on this particular course. It's too bad that you are not open to learning from the experience of others. Some of it might actually prove to be useful to you.

I think I get what Smity199 is saying.

I'll use a cadet example (shudders, yes I know lol). I was lucky enough to do a day sail on the Iroquois with a few other cadets and we had this one genious with us who let on that he knew everything there was about anything on the water. We got to handle some lines on the way back in to the dock and this guy starts trying to tell the deck crew that they are handling one of the lines wrong. Lets just say that it didn't help the image of Cadets in the Reg Forces eyes and some colourful words were used.

The moral of the story is, even though you were in Cadets and may know the drill and how to shine your boots, there is always something to learn.

robbiewho? said:
I think I get what Smity199 is saying.

Yes, but you didn't get what I was saying. I don't have a problem with the opinion so much as the negative stereotyping and attitude portrayed in the sharing of said opinion. Not the message itself, in other words, but the delivery.

We all meet know-it-alls on a fairly regular basis. The key is to take them with a grain of salt. Nonetheless, don't dismiss a know-it-all as a know-nothing. Everyone's experiences hold some value, even if they come across like an a** while trying to share those experiences. ;)

If you actually read what I said, you'd see that I was offering some of MY advice.. and that advice was to keep an open mind.  I guess you were to consumed with coming up with an overly wordy reply to see my point. I will rephrase myself nonetheless for the sake of the more narrowminded (ie. you). I meant that a group of 50 or so people new to the military thing will all go through basic together learning from the same point a to the same point b, and that experience could get diluted by some idiots who don't take their shit seriously. It's better to figure things out for yourself rather than learn from someone else who might not have the right idea.

Smity199 said:
If you actually read what I said, you'd see that I was offering some of MY advice.. and that advice was to keep an open mind.  I guess you were to consumed with coming up with an overly wordy reply to see my point. I will rephrase myself nonetheless for the sake of the more narrowminded (ie. you). I meant that a group of 50 or so people new to the military thing will all go through basic together learning from the same point a to the same point b, and that experience could get diluted by some idiots who don't take their shit seriously. It's better to figure things out for yourself rather than learn from someone else who might not have the right idea.

Smitty,

Leave the attacks out of things or go in the system.

Scott
Army.ca Staff

Smity199 said:
No offence to freakers, but if I was to offer one piece of advice to people going into basic it would be this: try to stay away from people who think they know everything about everyone and every detail about basic and st-jean, these people tend to have done at least one stint in warrior or A platoon and in a lot of cases will end up back off platoon sooner or later. Dont let the frig up's influence your attitude or behaviour, go in with an open mind and try to keep it.

English isn't my native language, maybe the message didn't pass well.

What I meant was, don't try to go around the platoons' rules; don't use a second kit, hide electronics, etc.
Personally, I read everything on Army.ca and Basic Up before going to Basic, and in the end, beside inspections, everything else was obsolete, so don't waste your time.

School rules on the other side, that's another story.

As for the "cornflake" badge (thanks for the correction, lol) ... the point was, just because recruits have them, doesn't mean they have more authority, especially the cadet officers.

Dont' kid yourself mate. You don't have ANY authority, nor will you for a good long time so drop the 'tude about who has more TI or knows more, therefore you MUST be right.
You're not even a trained soldier yet, just a recruit...that's it that's all.
you would be best served by closing your mouth and opening your ears and switch from TX to RX.

Jammer said:
Dont' kid yourself mate. You don't have ANY authority, nor will you for a good long time so drop the 'tude about who has more TI or knows more, therefore you MUST be right.
You're not even a trained soldier yet, just a recruit...that's it that's all.
you would be best served by closing your mouth and opening your ears and switch from TX to RX.

That has to be the best advice I've seen in this thread.

Untrained troops trying to tell it like it is. My flip flops have more TI.....        ::)

Regards

Smity199 said:
If you actually read what I said, you'd see that I was offering some of MY advice.. and that advice was to keep an open mind.  I guess you were to consumed with coming up with an overly wordy reply to see my point. I will rephrase myself nonetheless for the sake of the more narrowminded (ie. you). I meant that a group of 50 or so people new to the military thing will all go through basic together learning from the same point a to the same point b, and that experience could get diluted by some idiots who don't take their crap seriously. It's better to figure things out for yourself rather than learn from someone else who might not have the right idea.

There's a definition of teamwork lol.

Personally I'd rather have a crappy pair of boots because someone tried to help me, then sitting on my bunk scratching my head because I can't learn it for myself.

Y'know, when I joined up almost 4 years ago, I became obsessed with this website..I was debating second shaving kits..I was googling army training, watching videos on CF fitness etc etc.  When  I got there, I realized that none of it mattered.  NONE of it. 
  You are there with people from so many walks of life across this country and I'm willing to bet I was the only who wasted hours of my life trying to see what was going to happen to me once I entered the dreaded MEGA.  I wish I had all that time back honestly.  Even my wife got angry at me for spending so much time on army.ca, lol.
  You go..you bring what they tell you to bring.......you do what your instructors tell you to do....you graduate and move on.  Thats it. 
Have a nice day! :christmas happy:

Last time I checked (correct me if I'm wrong), there are some fellas running around called INSTRUCTORS, no?
Teamwork is essential for collective tasks, however at the end of it all when your standing in front of a DS and you say that your kit is crap because no one helped you (did it for you). That is the wrong answer.
It's up to you to listen and learn, and by learning that means asking relavent questions and practical application of what was taught. For example, ironing, you will only get that hang of it by DOING it. Don't hang back and wait for the recruit fairy or your coursemates to magically carry you through 11 weeks. If you approach it with that attitude you already have set yourself up for disaster.

Canadian Army News Channel on Youtube is back up! Basic Up Reloaded and other videos for everyones enjoyment.

Quote from : freakerz
Personally, I read everything on Army.ca and Basic Up before going to Basic, and in the end, beside inspections, everything else was obsolete, so don't waste your time.]

Folks, do you realize that the "Basic Up Reloaded" was filmed 3 years ago?  The recruits as seen in episode 1 or 2 arrived in St. Jean by the end of October 2006!  In 3 years many things can change (for better, I believe) 
:camo:

For those who are in the recruiting process and will be going to BMQ, Basic-Up Reloaded is a must see show. t follows a platoon through out their training and has a lot of information for basic training. Some of you probably as already seen it but some haven't. I am sure you will answers to your questions and have a better idea what basic training is like!

Maybe one of the mods could make this a sticky or move this post under another sticky!

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/land-terre/life-vie/basic-voie/index-eng.asp

Great :D

I remember watching those videos helped me out a lot for the interview.

By the way, on Youtube, there is a whole archive of previous shows of Basic Up, if you wish to watch from the very first episode.

Cheers!

Back