• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Basic Up

Cadet [Insert Random Name] said:
*Ahem*

DUMONT!!!!!

Too bad we won't have the PO from Season 1. But this still be interesting.

I had the other PO as my course Commander last year, he was pretty good too.  I really enjoyed watching Basic Up, after basic, I had quite a few laughs.  I am looking forward to Basic Up Reloaded.

littlelizzard said:
Well from what I have been hearing I think some of the newcomers to CFLRS should watch more of what its really like out there. For PT its nothing but complaining, i say your whiners, move up to the plate and take what you get. There is nothing worse than a female who loves drama! And I being female can't stand it,makes me wonder if they joined for a little x-tra if ya know what I mean!! harden up ladies your in the military now.  :mad:

Have you been to CFLRS on basic training? If not, I do believe you are just a wee bit out of your lane here.  8)

There is also a show on Discovery channel starting this Tuesday @ 10 ET called "Combat School." From what I can gather it is the BIQ course. Should be more interesting than Basic Up.

4Feathers said:
For those of you that have completed basic training in the past couple of years, how useful or realistic were the video's provided at the recruiting center, or the basic up series on TV, in preparing you for what you experienced at CFLRS? You can PM with your responses if you like.
Thanks

Not very helpful, Basic Up makes the three weeks in the field look like a pleasant camping trip.  Wasn't quite the case.  Basic Up fails to talk about the first four weeks which are death by powerpoint, also they don't mention things like how long you are CB (confined to barracks) for.  Little things like that, that might have been nice to know before hand.  There are a few other example but I won't go into it.  The only thing watching those videos did for me was the ability to say "hey there's that PO from Basic Up"

Not to mention, every course is different depending on your staff.  Anyways, this is just my opinion...your experience at St-Jean could very well be similar to the series, I'm sure you're looking forward to finding out yes?  ;)

Cheers, Kyle

ballz said:
There is also a show on Discovery channel starting this Tuesday @ 10 ET called "Combat School." From what I can gather it is the BIQ course. Should be more interesting than Basic Up.

Mhmmm, http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/84105.0

MedTechStudent said:
Not very helpful, Basic Up makes the three weeks in the field look like a pleasant camping trip.  Wasn't quite the case.  Basic Up fails to talk about the first four weeks which are death by powerpoint, also they don't mention things like how long you are CB (confined to barracks) for.  Little things like that, that might have been nice to know before hand.  There are a few other example but I won't go into it.  The only thing watching those videos did for me was the ability to say "hey there's that PO from Basic Up"

Not to mention, every course is different depending on your staff.  Anyways, this is just my opinion...your experience at St-Jean could very well be similar to the series, I'm sure you're looking forward to finding out yes?  ;)

Cheers, Kyle
Thanks for your response Kyle;
I actually did BOTC many years ago in Chilliwack, but in my current job I work for CMP. Trying to prepare pers for BMOQ or BMQ is part of my mission and I just needed to confirm that the video's shown at the recruiting centers are not really that useful. They are now being updated to more accurately reflect the realities of basic trg and better prepare those going. Thank your for your input, it is exactly what I suspected from you post and others.
Cheers

MedTechStudent said:

Cheers, Kyle

I thought that this series was done more as an entertainment thing, not quite as a straight-on recruiting tool.  Seeing a half-hour show about powerpoint presentations would probably not be too entertaining.  So I can understand why they didn't focus too much on the classroom stuff.

Don't assume that your BMQ is going to be all excitment and cool stuff.  Going to be a bit of a snore fest at some parts and a lot of hard work throughout.

On another topic, I thought that Comabt School show looked more like pre-deployment training to me.  They sort of set it up like the soldiers are on some gameshow and have to "pass" in order to be deployed.  I guess we'll have to wait and see what it's like.

It would be cool to see a show like Basic Up done of a BIQ as well!

It also didn't show how much time was spent in the push up position, swat position and standing in the orange sector waiting for people to get haircuts.  Or how that last week is death by drill or waiting endlessly for something to happen.  Also, I vaguely recall the field time being a LOT of pepper potting and leopard crawling through frozen water and snow.  I did have a good time in the field though, it wasn't fun at the time (mostly) but it is fun to think back on it and the final week of missions was very well put together by the commissioners and enemy.
It was fun to watch after doing basic training as I can say my platoon wasn't as bad as their platoon or the sister platoon was, even though our PO, one from Basic Up, said we were the worst course he had ever had.  I think it's a mandatory thing to say. 
I would recommend this show more to people who have already done the course, as someone said as an entertainment factor because nothing can prepare you for the way your heart drops to your stomach when you see the Mega for the first time and how happy you are to see the Mega again after the field. :)

And quite frankly if I wanted to watch a half hour of PowerPoint presentations I could do that at work on any given day of the week.

Push up positions, squat positions, waiting to get a haircut...

We know this stuff all happens, but obviously it doesn't make great television!  This reinforces my belief that Basic Up has nothing to do with recruiting and was made purely for entertainment.  If you want a slice of life as it happens in BMQ I think you have to join to get it.  Or install a secret webcam somewhere...preferably not the john.  lol

Every job I've ever had, has had some boring aspects.  I don't think there is a job that's exciting all the time.

Combat School Trailer......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjEzihUKEuA

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKBcQV1ai5Q

alliedawn said:
Combat School Trailer......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjEzihUKEuA

First episode of Combat School has already aired on Discovery Channel on Tuesday.
Plus there is a topic on it already.

great show though.

Captain Coffee said:
Push up positions, squat positions, waiting to get a haircut...

We know this stuff all happens, but obviously it doesn't make great television!  This reinforces my belief that Basic Up has nothing to do with recruiting and was made purely for entertainment.
Sure it would... Well some parts of it.  I mean, people found the intro to Full Metal Jacket pretty entertaining.

I digress.  You are probably right about it being entertainment only.  Having done recruit school elsewhere (CFB Pet 06), I can say mine was a lot harder than what Basic Up suggests. And I'm told that St.Jean is the roughest go for BMQ, of them all. 

So if it were truly a representation of what it really was like there, how come I didn't see much of those pushups, squats against the wall, 5K runs...and humiliating punishments? it looked kind of toned down.  It was sort of neat to watch though.  My fav part is when someone says "you must have a photo and frame on your desk! you can use a picture of my mom, I don't care"

Who here has seen "Bad Lads Army?"

Looks awesome.....it is awesome I can't wait to watch the next episode on Tuesday. But back to my question anybody know when Basic Up 2 comes out?

I suppose there are other threads for this, but I did enjoy Combat School.

Forget for a moment that they make it seem like a reality show and that if these guys screw up they might not get deployed, which is garbage.  They also downplay the predeployment training in Petawawa completely.  Yes Fort Bliss is great for desert warfare training but it's not like these soliders are fresh off their BMQ which is how the show paints them.

Very entertaining though.  Which is kind of my point about Basic Up as well.  It's entertainment, like Combat School.

For most of the Canadian Public, they won't know enough about the CF to know the difference, and for the rest of us, well we take it with a grain of salt I guess and enjoy the show!

SoldierInTheMaking said:
Looks awesome.....it is awesome I can't wait to watch the next episode on Tuesday. But back to my question anybody know when Basic Up 2 comes out?

Not sure when it's coming out, but look what went up on Youtube this weekend!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbHGTcUo9Nw

Looks to me like we'll be seeing some waiting in line, some hair cuts and some push ups in the new series! 

Back