• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Basic Training Kit List

http://www.elrfc.forces.gc.ca/site/soyez_prets/qmb/joining_e.pdf

The above link is the actual Joining Instructions from the CFLRS website.

armyjewelz said:
*BUMPING FOR REFERENCE PURPOSES*

Also wondering how they take the $250 back.. Is it all off your first pay or are they kind enough to seperate it over a few?

On my platoon everybody got it taken off of the second paycheque.

Now there is just so many topics it is hard which to choose from.  It seems that these kit lists seem very vague.  I leave for my PRes BMQ in Winnipeg in about a week.  The kit list they gave me is really strange and I am not sure what to bring on my own.  Most of the answers here seem to be nifty little tricks but i need clarification on what is necessary (it is made possible to survive without all these tricks too after all isn't it?).  The Kit list has different sections such as "Fighting Order" and in the list is included Tac Vest, 1x Cbt Boots etc. but then there are personal sections such as 2x Hand towel (my numbers are examples) 2x bath towel ....and it even said shower towel in another section, is there a difference?  I go to get my kit on Base in Shilo on Wednesday and I am assuming only some of it will be provided (the combat gear, mag packs , helmets beret etc).  On the front page it does however say we are required to bring 20x hangers (doesn't specify what kind), a padlock, and PT Gear (I assume this is the running shorts/pants and 2 white shirts listed in the provided pages).  I am also required to bring a Khaki shirt, I assume I supply this myself as well?  I will give them a call on Monday but if I could get some clarification that would be greatly appreciated because in different sections of the list, many of the items are repeated such as towels.  My apologies for any trouble and confusion about "what is this guys question anyway" but my mind will be at ease if I am informed as to what is my responsibility and what is the responsibility of the people issuing me my kit.  Thank you all for your input and support, I can't wait.

Kevin  (Heading off to BMQ, Winnipeg July 2, Artilleryman, PRes 26th Fd Regt. Brandon)

XtremeEuph said:
Now there is just so many topics it is hard which to choose from.  It seems that these kit lists seem very vague.  I leave for my PRes BMQ in Winnipeg in about a week.  The kit list they gave me is really strange and I am not sure what to bring on my own.  Most of the answers here seem to be nifty little tricks but i need clarification on what is necessary (it is made possible to survive without all these tricks too after all isn't it?).  The Kit list has different sections such as "Fighting Order" and in the list is included Tac Vest, 1x Cbt Boots etc. but then there are personal sections such as 2x Hand towel (my numbers are examples) 2x bath towel ....and it even said shower towel in another section, is there a difference?  I go to get my kit on Base in Shilo on Wednesday and I am assuming only some of it will be provided (the combat gear, mag packs , helmets beret etc).  On the front page it does however say we are required to bring 20x hangers (doesn't specify what kind), a padlock, and PT Gear (I assume this is the running shorts/pants and 2 white shirts listed in the provided pages). I am also required to bring a Khaki shirt, I assume I supply this myself as well?  I will give them a call on Monday but if I could get some clarification that would be greatly appreciated because in different sections of the list, many of the items are repeated such as towels.  My apologies for any trouble and confusion about "what is this guys question anyway" but my mind will be at ease if I am informed as to what is my responsibility and what is the responsibility of the people issuing me my kit.  Thank you all for your input and support, I can't wait.

Kevin  (Heading off to BMQ, Winnipeg July 2, Artilleryman, PRes 26th Fd Regt. Brandon)

The khaki shirt is actually the green t-shirt you wear under your combat shirt, you get three issued to you. Don't go out a buy and khaki coloured shirt.

BTW, if your having problems packing just use your common sense. If something such as a towel is repeated on the list don't bring 16 damn towels, bring the two (or whatever number) that you were issued. If you were not issued something on the list, don't worry about it, they will do a kit check when you get there. If a civvy item is not specified as a certain type (e.g. clothes hangers) then just buy any type of clothes hanger, the cheaper the better.

If common sense thing doesn't make sense, just do this:

- Don't Panic
- Lay out all your issued kit on the floor
- Read the items off your kit list starting from the top
- Place the items in the duffel bag you were issued as you read the items off the kit list
- If you don't have something on the list put a mark next to it and skip it until later
- Once you have read all the items off your kit list go out and buy the civvy items that have marks next to them (hangers, toothpaste, soap) and put them in a backpack
- Don't worry if you don't have an issued item on the list, if your instructors deem it necessary it will be issued to you at a later date
- Put a book or two and a mp3 player in your backpack
- Put some civvy clothes in the backpack, not to much though
- Relax, have a beer

Problem Solved

Thank you very much for the informed reply, that made a lot of sense.  Basically everything I can sort now, I just have to wait for what they issue me on Wednesday.  I believe my list mentions a Khaki Towel as well (Aside from a couple white towels)....I have no idea what for.  Do you believe this is my own or their responsibility such as the shirt?

Once again, thanks for all the input and easing my mind, I think its already time for a beer...though I'm a minor ;)

Thanks,

Kevin

The khaki towel should be issued kit. Also, if you are a minor, no problem, have a juice instead.

Alright sounds fair and square, get my kit and go from their. ( Ok enough of the rhyming games).  Thanks again for your advice, I can't wait to begin it is driving me insane.  My questions have been answered, end of discussion.

With appreciation,

Kevin

If you are deeply in doubt get ahold of your bty staff, more often then not they'll be willing to help you out, as far as kit goes, base shilo will give you everything on your kit list with the exception of toiletries, hangers, boot polish that sort of thing. If they aren't able to issue something it's for a reason, TFA 1-08 comes to mind, other things have operational restrictions, such as thermal undies in some sizes. The best bet is to take it as it comes. Some units will also do a kit muster prior to sending you on crse just to make sure you have it all, if not, ask, they OPS/Trg guys should be willing to help.

(fyi currently RSS at 5 FD RCA)

I have been searching threads related to packing for BMQ and it seems that all the threads boil down to saying that most items are available at the canex. I was just wondering which of the items are not available at the canex. I know my civi clothing will obviously be brought to BMQ, but I would just like to know what else I absolutely have to pack. I would like to buy everything from the canex if possible.

Thank you.

If you have read the CFLRS Joining Instructions - Annex D, everything that is not issue is available at the Canex. The quality and selection that you might want, compared to your normal shopping habits may be different. So if you have a particular shaving blade, sports gear, or hair drier that you prefer pack it. Otherwise, use some CDF and try not to over think your upcoming course.

Thanks for the reply. I'll make sure to bring my favourite hair dryer, hahaha  ;) About the picture frame, is it the picture or the frame that is supposed to be 5"x7"? Probably a stupid question, I assume its the photo.

Seabass said:
Thanks for the reply. I'll make sure to bring my favourite hair dryer, hahaha  ;) About the picture frame, is it the picture or the frame that is supposed to be 5"x7"? Probably a stupid question, I assume its the photo.

That is correct. I wouldn't bring along a frame designed for 10"x14" prints however :)

Seabass:

I have been searching threads related to packing for BMQ and it seems that all the threads boil down to saying that most items are available at the canex. I was just wondering which of the items are not available at the canex. I know my civi clothing will obviously be brought to BMQ, but I would just like to know what else I absolutely have to pack. I would like to buy everything from the canex if possible.

Thank you.

From memory... They have..

Running shoes, athletic wear, swim wear (goggles), t-shirts, socks, underwear, watches, notebooks, pens, paper, binders etc.

computers, tv's, luggage... misc military junk (cadpat field pads, cadpat belts (recommend by the way))

Lots of Gillette products, no Schick :(  Shampoo, body wash, bars of soap, mouthwash.... and travel sized versions of all that stuff (useful in the field)

They have inexpensive ($10) irons available, and lots of cleaning products such as swifer etc.  Also have laundry detergent.

Small section with medication and cough medicine, tensor bandages, knee braces..

Basically, anything you will need. And if you still can't find something you need, its only 4-5 weeks until you can leave the base and go into town to buy it.

In town - $12 cab ride - there is....

Walmart, futureshop (and small mall), boston pizza, timmies, subway, and a couple banks.

About 25 mins away is Montreal.

Cheers

Corey

Back