• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

UAB kit list

mysteriousmind

Subscriber
Inactive
Reaction score
Hey as im on my first tour fo 03-10, I have made a list of my UAB's stuff... I'm asking to you guys who has been in KAF before me...what do you think about it.  any advice?

item QTY / UOI
blanket 1 ea
Pillow 2 ea
PT kit ea
longue sleeve shirt 1 ea
bermudas1 ea
pants 1 ea
tshirt 1 ea
black sox (civy) 3 pr
boxer 3 pr
alarm clock 1 ea
lamp 1 ea
Flash light 1 ea
boots tan 1 pr
back pac 1 ea
blades 36 ea
antisuperspirant 4 ea
tooth paste 3 tb
motrin 1 bt
qtips 1 bx
shaving foam 3 bt
soaps 6 ea
Games (space hulk and civilsation) 2 bx
Fan 1 ea
bed sheets 1 pk
rug 1 ea
books 15ea
Lifas 1 kt
socks tan 5 pr
baseball caps 2 ea
laundry bags 1 ea
curtain (to have privacy on my bunk bed) 1 ea
mini kit bag 1 ea
scarf tan 1 ea
tshirt tan 4 ea
hangers 10 ea
Dark vador bobble head 1 ea
Chewbacca bobble head 1 ea
2 towels 2 ea
peanut butter and nutella 1 ea

Thanks for your advice

Bring 2 sets of bedsheets. Can alternate them when one is in the laundry. Thats the one thing I wished I had in KAF, even though I didn't spend much time there.

PT Kit/Long Sleeve Shirts: Bring more.  I was there at the same time you're going to be there, and I found that I didn't have enough cold weather PT kit.  They only have US PT Uniforms in the PX, and you can't buy those.  Bring some track pants, a couple of hoodies, etc.  I got some brown cotton long sleeve T shirts and wore those under my combats on cold days.

Civvies: I would only bring what I intended to wear on leave.  I didn't wear anything but combats or PT kit for 8 months.

Alarm clock, fan, toiletries, hangers, snacks, etc- the PX is surprisingly well stocked for most mundane items like this.  If you want to throw it all in your UAB then rock on, but I would just get all that stuff when I got to KAF so as not to waste UAB space that could be used for something else. Get a battery powered alarm clock- power is too unreliable in KAF or anywhere else for that matter. 

Books- if you read much then bring more than 15.  The PX only sells romance novels (seriously) and the "donated" books they hand out at Canada House were "donated" for a reason.  Don't expect the PX to have much in the way of games, either.

One thing you might want to bring from home is a voltage converter- they were always sold out in the PX and they were expensive.  Another thing would be to go down to IKEA and get a hanging closet organizer like this: http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/10154558 .  There are never enough lockers to go around, plus you can take something like that out to the FOB with you if you get sent out there.

Willy thanks for the advice,

The reason I'm trying get everything in my UAB is that I was told (correct me if I'm was told wrong) is that PX outrageously expensive...

:)

KAF is pretty much well stocked on snivel kit.  But this is a cut and paste of some things I found useful outside of Wally World;

A printer.  That's one thing that would've saved me tons of time.

PC speakers.

Jump drive.

Rechargable batts/charger

Power bar.

Small fan (you got that but just to emphasize)

Multi-vitamin, B100, Omega 3-6-9, vitamin C.

Motrin, Advil, Tylenol, Anti-histamine, Eye drops.

Protein bars.  box or two.

Electric razor.

A grooming kit; hair clippers, beard/ear/nose clippers, toe nail clippers, small scissors. (if in a FOB, the barber you may never see)

Hand mirror (for above).

A mirror for your room.

Sturdy sandals for (instead of) shower thongs. 

Athletes foot cream.

Cortisone cream. (for heat rashes) 

Polysporin.

Eye covers for sleeping (shift work and flights.  Usually get these at airports.)

Water bottle/protein shake mixer.

Weightlifting gloves.

Bag gloves, wraps.

4 X toothbrushes, mouthwash, dental floss.

Aftershave.

Nailbrush.

Coffee machine w/coffee. Or coffee press.  (Nescafe "3 in 1" will kill ya)

Coffee cup w/lid.

Fingertip/knuckle and normal bandaids.

Rubber gloves (latex. For cleaning wpns and what not)

10 X the lightest boxer underwear you can find

a second wrist watch.

boot water proofing.

sunglasses, 2 or 3 pairs of the cheap kind. 

5-10 face clothes (dollar store variety)

and, of course, babywipes.

Pick up yourself a nice rug for your bedside and one of those blankets in a plastic bag while in KAF; get a second blanket as a "foamy" if your mattress is too hard. 

Such a dilemma; What comfort/convenience/entertainment/health items does one take or forego?  Don't imagine soldiers had this problem during WWI.

Hope this helps.

It's not really that expensive at the PX, man.  Maybe if you're buying stereos and TV's, but I held off on that.  They have everything you're likely to need on a day-to-day basis, at reasonable prices.  Plus it's not really like you're going to be poor.

Bring whatever you want, rest easy in the fact that you can get whatever you forget at the PX.  Try to link in via email with the guy you're replacing before you get there.  He will give you much better ideas than anyone here can as to what you will want to bring.

*And since shamu posted while I was typing- everything he said is right.  Except if you're going to KAF you can get that all there.  If you're going to a FOB, bring it with you. 

Also if you like certain brands, bring it with you. The PX doesn't carry anything made for "Canadian distribution only". The Canex might, but their selection tends to be quite limited.

Tango18A said:
Also if you like certain brands, bring it with you. The PX doesn't carry anything made for "Canadian distribution only". The Canex might, but their selection tends to be quite limited.

With the prices jacked up as well.

Regards

With regards for civilian clothing I would suggest to check with your SSM. Rules have changed since august 1 2010. Basically the only thing you can now wear in KAF is CADPAT or PT, the PT you usually wear for your morning PT. No more "civilian" pants or jeans, or shirt etc... If you want to pack for HLTA make sure that you wont change your mind with the location of your leave, or have them mailed to you..in advance of course  ;D

A mentioned to bring a printer for PERs or what not.  This would save so much grief as getting a working printer/copier in a FOB/COP is more miss than hit.  But I never thought about the ink cartridges potentially exploding inside UAB; air pressure/altitude, extreme temperatures....  I don't know.  Double seal and Ziplock bag the ink cartridges just in case.

I don't think a printer is really nescessary, the final signature blocks for PERs tend to be in KAF not out in the FOB so his entrust card would be of more value.

For the position ill be occupying, (CQ NSE) printers wont be a issue for me.

Thanks guys for all the good advice, I'm looking for this..."adventure" Take care for those who are there at this moment.

One last thing Someone suggersted tha ti bring a pair of WWB because ill be in the "rain" season (November - June) yes? or no?

thanks

WWB might be a bit of overkill. Unless you are planning to jump into all the puddles in KAF.

If you can't fill both MOB boxes you might want to take them, but you'll never wear them there.

George, yeah, CQ with 5 other people... we have one LPO, one Weapon // ammo, 2 clients service, one mcpl and one WO, im Client services, with LPO backup...

you seem to be puzzled... :-\

He thinks that you ARE the CQMS for the NSE, usually a MWO. Normally MWOs don't come here looking for what to pack to go overseas with. They are the ones making these lists.

Ho...my miss I'm sorry if I wasnt clear enough  :-[ ...it will be my first deployement.  :nod:

Back