• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Basic Training Kit List

Mike Bobbitt

Administrator
Staff member
Owner
Directing Staff
Reaction score
For those about to embark on basic training, here are some items that may be useful to take along, regardless of trade or NCM/Officer designation:

• black boot polish (kiwi)
  • applicator brush (kiwi)
  • boot brush (kiwi)
  • Kiwi cloth (kiwi makes the best polishing stuff)
  • spending money in cash
  • calling card
  • liquid laundry soap
  • a black permanent marker
  • brasso
  • alarm clock (preferably small and battery operated)
  • comfortable running shoes
  • sewing kit (lots of needles)
  • good insoles
  • cards (just in case he gets free time)
  • swiffer pads
  • iron/spray starch
  • void cheque

Hey everyone, I know a lot of us are heading out to basic soon and another bunch of us are in the middle of our processes with good prospects... I thought I would reply to this and bring it to the forefront - Additions, suggestions ,welcomed....

I think it is a good list as is, though.

Cheers and good luck

EDIT: Woops, I did not see the previous post on kits. Ignore, then.

Mike Bobbitt said:
For those about to embark on basic training, here are some items that may be useful to take along, regardless of trade or NCM/Officer designation:

• black boot polish (kiwi)
  • applicator brush (kiwi)
  • boot brush (kiwi)
  • Kiwi cloth (kiwi makes the best polishing stuff)
  • spending money in cash
  • calling card
  • liquid laundry soap
  • a black permanent marker
  • brasso
  • alarm clock (preferably small and battery operated)
  • comfortable running shoes
  • sewing kit (lots of needles)
  • good insoles
  • cards (just in case he gets free time)
  • swiffer pads
  • iron/spray starch
  • void cheque

I suggest that you bring 2 boot brushes and two aplicators. Reason being, you will have one for your combat boots and one that you can use when you are putting the base coats on your CF boots that way you don't scratch them.

So what happens if you show up and did not know you needed any of this? Do they give you a list before hand?

Also .. How much spending cash should you bring? ... and whats a brasso?

Remuster said:
I suggest that you bring 2 boot brushes and two aplicators. Reason being, you will have one for your combat boots and one that you can use when you are putting the base coats on your CF boots that way you don't scratch them.

Wouldn't use a boot brush on the CF boots that would scratch the leather, I was told/instructed to use the kiwi cloth to apply polish to those boots... even the base coat and then use small circles to really make them shine (mind you this took a while to do).

Zensunni said:
So what happens if you show up and did not know you needed any of this? Do they give you a list before hand?

Also .. How much spending cash should you bring? ... and whats a brasso?

Brasso is a polish to make the brass buckles and buttons on your DEU'S shine.

What to bring is all outlined in the Joining Instructions located here:
http://www.cflrs.forces.gc.ca/english/recruits/ralliement/Recrue_joining_eng_200309.pdf

Note:
These instructions only apply to the Reg Force Courses.

This might be stupid question, but how much cash should i bring?? Like $100?

That will be enough but they will give you an advance on your pay anyways. You will be going to the canex
to get anything that you need for the course that you may not already have. If you smoke bring enough smokes to last you till pay day as there is not many opportunities to go to the canex.

Hey...I just joined the navy reserves in edmonton. I was wondering what i should I do to prepare myself? Do I need the same things as above? Im a little nervous about the medical and all that. Can anyone give pointers on any of it?

The cab from Dorval airport to St.Jean is about $100, so you will need cash for that. I brought everything they had on the list, when I got there some of it was wrong, i.e on the list it says green plastic hangers, umm the DS wanted white plastic hangers, also the laundry detergent, there is a specific brand that we had to buy at the canex that fits nice and snug in your locker. So bring the stuff anyways, but they will make you take a $250 advance on your cheque and bring you to the canex to buy stuff in your first week. Also set up a bank account, the Caisse Populaire(on base bank) charges an arm and a leg for everything. Some of the personal stuff I took with me were a cell phone (no waiting at the pay phone) If you are with Rogers, they have a plan called The Canadian One Rate, it covers all your long distance per month! An Mp3 player and some books if you are a reader. Good running shoes (not new ones, break them in first), good insoles for your combat boots and probably two pairs of civy clothes, 2 x Jeans, 2 x Shirts. One thing to remember about personal items...it can grow legs, so if you're going to bring it be careful. Enjoy basic  :salute: <<<< Don't salute like this guy or you'll get your a$$ kicked.

I'm surprised no one mentioned the 2nd shave kit.  Certain courses will require you to have a display locker...normally leadership-type courses such as basic and whatever they're calling JLC/JNCO these days. 

So, you have one shave kit that you never use...the toothbrush has your name, soap dish with name...toothpaste with name, etc, etc, etc.  Basically, your last name and last three written on every item in the same block letters.  These items are then laid out for display purposes and are to never be touched or used (except make sure they *look* like you've used them...no full shaving cream, new soap, etc.)  Carry them around for your courses...I had a tube of Aquafresh that I bought in 1991 that I had in my display kit until 2000.

Your 2nd shave kit is the one that you actually use...hide that in a drawer.

Hey, no need to give away alll the secrets, let em learn on their own! Next thing you'll let out about boot blackener for that all round shine  ;D

A set of electrician hooks and a shave brush for cleaning your weapon are invaluable.  Both can be purchased at Walmart for a reasonable price.

^ yes that will make them shiny, also makes them slippery to the point where you take a step and you nearly fall and break your ass off...lol

Hey where can you get the Kiwi stuff, all I was able to find was the kiwi boot polish, but I couldnt find the cloths, and brushes...but I guess its no biggy since you can buy them there anyways?

Wal Mart has Kiwi gear, any Canex and most super markets, you just have to look closely they hide it with the mops and floor wax  ::) Any shoe store that sells GOOD shoes like Clarkes, Joseph Siebel should also have everything you need...Bonus; people working in these stores know alot about shining shoes  ;)

Its probably just easier to wait until you get there and buy it. You will be going to the canex anyways and you will not have any boots to polish until you get your kit.

Back