• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Autobiography Thread (merged)

• Thread starter Fogpatrol 1.0
  • Start date
mjamonks said:
I went to 5 stores trying to find the lined paper they requested, no one in Ottawa seems to sell it.
Then where does the Government get it all?

mjamonks said:
I went to 5 stores trying to find the lined paper they requested, no one in Ottawa seems to sell it.

http://www.staples.ca/en/Hilroy-Perf-Perfect-Pads-50-Sheets-Pad/product_SS2000243_2-CA_1_20001  Available in various sizes
http://www.staples.ca/en/Hilroy-Figuring-Pads-Canary/product_SS2000238_2-CA_1_20001 Available in Letter and Legal (8 1/2 x 14) sizes
http://www.staples.ca/en/Hilroy-Figuring-Pads-96-Sheets/product_SS2000236_2-CA_1_20001  Available in Letter and Legal sizes

mjamonks said:

I got an offer a few weeks back for Supply tech. Leaving for BMQ on the 8th.

Please don't let me be posted where this person is working in my RQ...

Seeing as how they make you re-write it when you arrive could I write it out on a computer and take a printed copy with me?

I have pretty terrible hand writing.

Ducam said:
Seeing as how they make you re-write it when you arrive could I write it out on a computer and take a printed copy with me?

Annex D - Autobiography Writing Guide
http://www.cflrs.forces.gc.ca/menu/pd/bic-cib/index-eng.asp#Ad

"Use blue ink and 8.5’ x 14’’ in lined paper only.

SHALL be written neatly and clearly. (No scratching or scribble)

Use one side of the sheet only and write every second line."

I gathered that much. thank you though.

Turns out that legal lined paper really isn't that easy to find

Ducam said:
Turns out that legal lined paper really isn't that easy to find

You posted "Recruting ( sic ) Center ( sic ): Toronto"

You can't find it in the fourth largest city in North America?

My "looking" for it in the short amount of time between posts was online.

Hilroy Figuring Pads, 8-3/8" x 13-3/4" at staples

Someone message me? Ill be heading to BMQ next month and all the documentation I need to hand in for my swear in requires me to list my Rank and Unit?

I just received my offer and got my package explaining everything that needs to be done for basic.  As you guys know writing an autobiography is part of the deal.  Anyways my childhood was less then ideal with me spending time in youth detention for several counts of assault and upon release to probation I left my hometown and was on the run from the police for more then a year.  This encompasses my childhood from age 14 to 18 when I turned myself in and decided to change my life around.  Part of getting in the service I had to gather all my old court documents and letters from previous probation officers and everyone I was involved with wether they thought me suitable for the Forces.  So this stuff is on my file...
So that boils down to my big question, would I be seen/accused in lacking integrity by my instructors if I go a little gentle on some of the details concerning that period?  I have no problem disclosing such things in my autobiography I just want to encompass my strong points instead of focusing on the more negative aspects. 
Looking for the opinions of former instructors or someone with a little experience is how big of a role the autobiography play.

For  a start, you can at least skim through the 7 pages of info on bios that your post has been merged into.

Good hunting.

Milnet.ca Staff

I would also say that the fact that you did turn your life around after a "less than ideal" youth does emphasize your strong points.  Perseverance, etc, etc....

Let's put it this way; the autobiography has to be on 'so many pages', with a maximum of 'so many words'.  This limits what you write.  It is a brief autobiography, not a novel.  You will not be able to go into minute detail of everything you have done in your life. 

PRO TIP

Remember it's an autobiography of your present life, not any past lives you remember or that may have been uncovered during all that intensive psychoanalytical theropy Mom made you go to during early childhood

AND NEVER MENTION THAT DAY HAD A PINIC ON THE GRASSY KNOLL!!!!

Wow. Ok, for those "hopefuls" bound for St. Jean in the near future here is MY two cents - DON'T LET THIS CONSUME YOU!!! I just went through this with my son. Look on your joining instructions (or in the previous posts from some of my more "seasoned" colleagues) and you will see the phrase "...follow these directives to the letter..."

How well can you follow directions? It's quite possible that if you are spending an inordinate amount of time on something that is completely spelled out for you, you MAY want to re-evaluate a few things...

Pay attention to detail. If you completely made up a life that made you a pirate with a wooden leg and a parrot for a best friend, but STILL managed to FOLLOW THESE DIRECTIVES TO THE LETTER, it would be completely fine.

And for the previous poster(s) who said they found it difficult to find 8 1/2 X 14 lined paper - this is true. Never would have thought it. Nowhere in Fredericton. And I AM a Supply Tech...

I just finished writing mine for the reserves. It was real easy. I don't know if it is the same as the Reg Force but we were allowed to type it out and print it on normal white paper.

When it comes to finding legal sized, lined paper...

First I did what many people would do; I went to Staples. I decided not to spend some $15 on a pack of 500 or so sheets of legal sized, blue lined paper. No! Some thrifty spirit came over me, somehow I knew that I needed to do this on the cheap. But how? I asked for help. Out of the 3 "employees" manning the printing centre, 0 ****s were given. So, after contemplating an afternoon of arts and crafts, standing in the arts and crafts isle, I decided to text everyone I know who works in an office. Luckily, someone came through for me...

Using a computer program called Microsoft Word, they typed up an entire legal sized document of spacebars, selected all, pressed the underline button, and then, finally, pressed the print button.

:bowing:

BYFROMSCHOOL said:
When it comes to finding legal sized, lined paper...

Using a computer program called Microsoft Word, they typed up an entire legal sized document of spacebars, selected all, pressed the underline button, and then, finally, pressed the print button.

:bowing:

Its even faster if you make two blank paragraphs and then use borders and shading to put a line before, after and between each paragraph. After that every time you press enter to create a new blank paragraph a new line is laid down.

:cheers:

Back