• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Autobiography Thread (merged)

• Thread starter Fogpatrol 1.0
  • Start date
I have also had issues finding the right paper in Toronto. I acquired a 8 3/8 x 13 7/8 pad; it's the best I could find.

My question is regarding the Cover Page and the information they ask for.

It asks for a Platoon number; I didn't notice one within the information booklet, but in the email I received, it said,
"Basic Military Qualification serial 0013" is this the Platoon number?

Thanks to anyone who can help me.

Sable

I don't know if it makes a difference, but a word of caution.  At least for the Staples in Markham (The Toronto Area)  what passes for Legal size in store is 1/8 an inch to small both in length and width.  I think they only sell the one that is 8.5 by 14 online

EME Hopeful said:
I don't know if it makes a difference, but a word of caution.  At least for the Staples in Markham (The Toronto Area)  what passes for Legal size in store is 1/8 an inch to small both in length and width.  I think they only sell the one that is 8.5 by 14 online

That's the paper, they just round it.

Cbbmtt said:
That's the paper, they just round it.

Ah I didn't know that.  Well in that case, they had plenty in stock in store and it would be pretty hard to miss

I had to buy mine in bulk cause they didn't sell just 1 pad. $15 later lol.

DO Not waste your time looking for paper or writing it before you go. If you do you will have to do it over again. They have tones of paper there. You use it all the time. They don't expect you to have it done. When you write it it isn't until week 2 or something. It's a joke. Don't stress about anything so small. I remember when I went through everyone was asking the same.

joelyoung1991 said:
DO Not waste your time looking for paper or writing it before you go. If you do you will have to do it over again. They have tones of paper there. You use it all the time. They don't expect you to have it done. When you write it it isn't until week 2 or something. It's a joke. Don't stress about anything so small. I remember when I went through everyone was asking the same.

You mean you remember a whole year ago?  ::)

If your joining instructions state to have it completed before you arrive... have it completed before you arrive. Following direction is an essential (and testable) skill.

marinemech said:
coming in under 400 word is gonna be fun

You really like to talk about yourself that much?  You just hit the high spots, where/when born, where/when lived, where/when schooled, where/when worked, hobbies and interests.  Nobody cares if you rescued the crazy cat lady's favourite Mr Tibbles from a tree when you were 9 years old.

Kat Stevens said:
  Nobody cares if you rescued the crazy cat lady's favourite Mr Tibbles from a tree when you were 9 years old.

I care about that..... ;)

Kat Stevens said:
You really like to talk about yourself that much?  You just hit the high spots, where/when born, where/when lived, where/when schooled, where/when worked, hobbies and interests.  Nobody cares if you rescued the crazy cat lady's favourite Mr Tibbles from a tree when you were 9 years old.

I agree with marinemech. We've moved 6 times in 8 years. Each city was a new job. Plus all the other work history i've had. Plus a separated family, each remarried... So, only 400 words is not a whole lot...

j.maslow said:
... So, only 400 words is not a whole lot...
Apparently it's enough to keep 8 pages of 'discussion' going.....and going.....and going......  :whistle:

Hello, I'm in the process of writhing my autobiography. I want to get it done on time and not rush it. I know I'll have to do it again during BMQ, but my first draft it's about 600 words. Does it look like an average autobiography or should I trim it down to don't look like a writer wanna be during BMQ. Any advise will be appreciated :)

Ps.  I've read many threads already but can't find a good sample to fallow.

It's supposed to be 400 words.

From the CFLRS website: http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/training-establishments/recruit-school-joining-instructions.page?

Annex D: Autobiography Writing Guide

When writing your autobiography, make sure you follow these directives to the letter; otherwise you will have to redo it.
Use blue ink and 8.5’ x 14’’ in lined paper only.
Should be 300 to 400 words.
Shall be written neatly and clearly. (No scratching or scribble
The autobiography starts on the second page at one inch (2.5 cm) from the top.
Write your name, service number and sign your autobiography directly under the last line on the right end side of the sheet.
Shall include a cover page with the following information in the centre:
Autobiography

Rank, name, initials, service number, and platoon number

Family history:
last name and first name;
birth – date and place;
parents – father, mother (alive or deceased) – their profession;
children – how many in the family – where do you situate (oldest, etc.); and
family relation – your childhood and your life in your family.
Education: General summary of your education.
Previous work:
have you ever had an employment? (Any type); and
have you ever had a summer employment or a weekend employment? (If so, what kind and how long).
Did you ever join:
Cubs, Scouts, Cadets or Reserve (Marine, Army, Air);
how long?;
course taken;
rank; and
if not, what is the reason and previous military services?
Sports – Leisure – Social Activities:
sports: which sport did you play? Did you participate in team sport? (If so, with which team) and have you ever been the team captain?;
leisure: what do you do for leisure? (philately, reading, music, photography, etc.); and
social activities: did you ever take part in school or town organization and have you ever fulfilled the president position in those organizations?
Reasons to enrol: Why did you join the Canadian Forces?
What were your three trades choices?
Note: Your composition shall be 1 to 1½ pages long. Do not forget to sign your biography.

In the family history of the current requirements of the autobiography, it does not request information on if you are married or if you have children.  Is it more important to give a complete picture of your family or more important to follow instructions to the letter and only mention your childhood family?

Thank you.

Back