• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Autobiography Thread (merged)

• Thread starter Fogpatrol 1.0
  • Start date
Hmmmm...
...I just find it amazing that this thread actually garnered 15 replies (16 with my own I guess!)

Have a great (Army/Navy/Airforce.ca - free) weekend everyone!

Pat

MedTech Hopeful said:
Unfortunately, I didn't even think to measure the pads!  Just asked if they had Legal size in stock....

Make sure you mention your highly advanced problem solving skills in your autobiography

Teflon said:
Make sure you mention your highly advanced problem solving skills in your autobiography

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Teflon!  Perhaps I'll let my leadership experiences, volunteer experiences, sports participation, graduating from the PN program with Honours and being on the Dean's list speak to my skills.  But if anyone asks while I'm on BMQ, I'll let them know that I did not take the time to measure the Legal notepads.......

Bzzliteyr said:
You're welcome!

I'm clapping while I'm reading your accomplishments.

-----------------------------

Just thought I'd correct some grammatical errors since you're busy being smart...

Thanks - Happiness all around, despite my error, my intended meaning was still conveyed validating my highly developed communication skills!  ;D

I went to WalMart, nothing, yes even book stores since they sell paper and that.  We live in a SMALL town.  Went to Halifax and found ONE pack of legal size paper, yes it was at Staples but the Staples in New Minus did not have any in stock at all.  I had to buy 5 pads since they did not have just one and to boot, I bought the last pack.  It seems quite hard to find.  In basic we got in trouble and had to write an essay on the legal size paper.  I was the only one there with this pad of paper so we all used it up.  I had my mom mail me the rest.  And no the canex in St Jean does not sell it, you think they might since you have to use it there and no the course staff does not provide you with it.

By the way, no one on my course had to re-write theirs or on my brothers course.  Might just be up to the instructors.  Just in case I did type up one and brought it for if we had to re-write it, I could just copy mine.

Hi so i'm new here and I have a question,
I will go into the reserve and they told me I must make an autobiography before the beginning (next week), I finished the autobiography, but I do not know if I should put a cover with the information or if I have to put up information in the upper left corner, so I take a chance to ask my question here mabe someone will know ?

How about you ask your units recruiter? Or maybe follow this format from CFLRS ST.JEAN.....

Annex D - Autobiography Writing Guide

When writing your autobiography, make sure you follow these directives to the letter; otherwise you will have to redo it.
Use blue ink and 8.5’ x 14’’ in lined paper only.
Should be between 300 to 400 words.
SHALL be written neatly and clearly. (No scratching or scribble)
Use one side of the sheet only and write every second line.
SHALL include a cover page with the following information in the centre:
AUTOBIOGRAPHY

Rank, name, initials, service number, and platoon number

The autobiography starts on the second page at one inch (2.5 cm) from the top.
Write your name, service number and sign your autobiography directly under the last line on the right end side of the sheet.
Family history:
last name and first name;
birth – date and place;
parents – father, mother (alive or deceased) – their profession;
children – how many in the family – where do you situate (oldest, etc.); and
family relation – your childhood and your life in your family.
Education: General summary of your education.
Previous work:
have you ever had an employment? (Any type); and
have you ever had a summer employment or a weekend employment? (If so, what kind and how long).
Did you ever join:
Cubs, Scouts, Cadets or Reserve (Marine, Army, Air);
how long?;
course taken;
rank; and
if not, what is the reason and previous military services?
Sports - Leisure - Social Activities:
sports: which sport did you play? Did you participate in team sport? (If so, with which team) and have you ever been the team captain?;
leisure: what do you do for leisure? (Philately, reading, music, photography, etc.); and
social activities: did you ever take part in school or town organization and have you ever fulfilled up the president position in those organizations?
Reasons to enrol: Why did you join the Canadian Forces?
What are your three trades choices?
Note: Your composition shall be 1 to 1½ pages long. Do not forget to sign your biography.

Follow whatever instructions you were given.  If something needs to be changed, they will give it back. 

Hey just looking for a little bit of clarification on some things the autobiography instructions do not specify.

-Should the sections be indicated, ie; should I put "Family History" and then write about my family history or just write in essay format?

-What is meant by "e. family relation - your childhood and your life in your family." What am I supposed to write about here? I was a happy kid?

I know I could just guess what they mean but then I'd be writing it twice so I'd rather get some info on here first!

Questions that you should ask your instructors, since they will read it and possibly decide to make you do it over if it's not what THEY WANT.

Hatchet Man said:
Questions that you should ask your instructors, since they will read it and possibly decide to make you do it over if it's not what THEY WANT.

If I already had instructors I wouldn't be spending course time on this forum. I'm trying to write it before I arrive as per the advice of everyone and the joining instructions. So again, anyone who's written the autobio recently?

Just do your best man. They will have you re-write it once you get there anyways.

Reaper-1 said:
If I already had instructors I wouldn't be spending course time on this forum. I'm trying to write it before I arrive as per the advice of everyone and the joining instructions. So again, anyone who's written the autobio recently?

Was it a complete waste of my time to merge you question with all the other questions on how to write a autobiography?  It seems you are the type who simply can not research and read what has been explained before.  The CAF is not about to treat you like you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth.  READ what has been posted, and stop asking redundant questions.

George Wallace said:
Was it a complete waste of my time to merge you question with all the other questions on how to write a autobiography?  It seems you are the type who simply can not research and read what has been explained before.  The CAF is not about to treat you like you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth.  READ what has been posted, and stop asking redundant questions.

This thread was LOCKED. How do I post in a locked thread? Well here is where you realize it was locked and say something like "if it's locked then it has all the information you need". No, my questions were not answered there. Excuse me if I'm the type of person who asks for the information I need to do the best job possible rather than guessing and assuming, I should have realized the CF doesn't want people who follow instructions that say "follow these instructions to the letter". Anyway, I can see that this is going to turn into a flame-out where everyone will pile on because a senior member dismissed my question so I'll be quiet and let you do what you will with my post.

No, my questions were not answered there

Instead of getting your dander up, think this through. You are seeking a clarification from anonymous posters on an internet message board instead of asking the people who gave you the assignment.

If you had received 2 or 50 responses saying very authoritatively "This is exactly what you do, blah blah blah." and that ended up being contrary to what was wanted by the originators of the assignment, you would be back on here, mad, because you received misinformation.

I need to do the best job possible rather than guessing and assuming

For all you know, none of us have ever been in the military. Unless you go back to the people who will be evaluating your assignment, we are all "guessing and assuming" their intent. No one can answer that, except them.

Army.ca Staff

Reaper-1 said:
This thread was LOCKED. How do I post in a locked thread? Well here is where you realize it was locked and say something like "if it's locked then it has all the information you need". No, my questions were not answered there. Excuse me if I'm the type of person who asks for the information I need to do the best job possible rather than guessing and assuming, I should have realized the CF doesn't want people who follow instructions that say "follow these instructions to the letter". Anyway, I can see that this is going to turn into a flame-out where everyone will pile on because a senior member dismissed my question so I'll be quiet and let you do what you will with my post.

Just go to this site and read http://www.cflrs.forces.gc.ca/menu/pd/bic-cib/index-eng.asp#Ad

Annex D - Autobiography Writing Guide

When writing your autobiography, make sure you follow these directives to the letter; otherwise you will have to redo it.
Use blue ink and 8.5’ x 14’’ in lined paper only.
Should be between 300 to 400 words.
SHALL be written neatly and clearly. (No scratching or scribble)
Use one side of the sheet only and write every second line.
SHALL include a cover page with the following information in the centre:
AUTOBIOGRAPHY
Rank, name, initials, service number, and platoon number

The autobiography starts on the second page at one inch (2.5 cm) from the top.
Write your name, service number and sign your autobiography directly under the last line on the right end side of the sheet.
Family history:
last name and first name;
birth – date and place;
parents – father, mother (alive or deceased) – their profession;
children – how many in the family – where do you situate (oldest, etc.); and
family relation – your childhood and your life in your family.
Education: General summary of your education.
Previous work:
have you ever had an employment? (Any type); and
have you ever had a summer employment or a weekend employment? (If so, what kind and how long).
Did you ever join:
Cubs, Scouts, Cadets or Reserve (Marine, Army, Air);
how long?;
course taken;
rank; and
if not, what is the reason and previous military services?
Sports - Leisure - Social Activities:
sports: which sport did you play? Did you participate in team sport? (If so, with which team) and have you ever been the team captain?;
leisure: what do you do for leisure? (Philately, reading, music, photography, etc.); and
social activities: did you ever take part in school or town organization and have you ever fulfilled up the president position in those organizations?
Reasons to enrol: Why did you join the Canadian Forces?
What are your three trades choices?

I went to 5 stores trying to find the lined paper they requested, no one in Ottawa seems to sell it.

Back