• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Service Pin

Reaction score
Does anyone know how long it takes to receive the service pin?
I retired in 2016 after more than 26 years of service.
I was told at the time that there was no stock of pins, and I would get one "later".
It has been 8 years, so one would assume there is stock by now.
I have made a couple of inquiries over the years....nothing but crickets.
Anyone else have this problem, or does anyone have advice on how I can get my pin?

I retired in 2021, after 37 YOS, and I got my service pin and all my friends who retired in recent years all received theirs.

Since it have been 7 years since you've retired you may want to ask your local federal MP for help or perhaps Veteran's Affairs.

Good luck

Does anyone know how long it takes to receive the service pin?
I retired in 2016 after more than 26 years of service.
I was told at the time that there was no stock of pins, and I would get one "later".
It has been 8 years, so one would assume there is stock by now.
I have made a couple of inquiries over the years....nothing but crickets.
Anyone else have this problem, or does anyone have advice on how I can get my pin?
I might know a guy, I'll shoot you a PM.

Not me. I didn't get a DWD either.

Me too... but I'm sure it's waiting for me just around the corner ;)

waiting gif GIF

Not me. I didn't get a DWD either.
That sucks. Some units will try to get out of giving a DWD.
I know when I transferred from the Regs to the Res after 25 years, I was told "You will get you DWD when you retire for good from the reserves."
OK,cool, whatever. Then, a year later when I was done with the CF and ready to hang it up for good, my reserve unit said "Oh, you were supposed to get a DWD when you left the Regs."
I was ready to say "whatever" and walk away, but my civilian wife wouldn't let it go and started making phone calls.
I got my DWD.
Surprising how both the regs and res tried to get out of it by pointing fingers at each other.
Not that it really matters now years later, but does anyone know whose rsponsibility it really was? Just out of curiosity...

That sucks. Some units will try to get out of giving a DWD.
I know when I transferred from the Regs to the Res after 25 years, I was told "You will get you DWD when you retire for good from the reserves."
OK,cool, whatever. Then, a year later when I was done with the CF and ready to hang it up for good, my reserve unit said "Oh, you were supposed to get a DWD when you left the Regs."
I was ready to say "whatever" and walk away, but my civilian wife wouldn't let it go and started making phone calls.
I got my DWD.
Surprising how both the regs and res tried to get out of it by pointing fingers at each other.
Not that it really matters now years later, but does anyone know whose rsponsibility it really was? Just out of curiosity...
I've always understood it was your unit at the time of your final release. There's no point to a DWD if you aren't actually departing.

I didn't have one either of the times I released from the Reg Force. But I'm damn well going to have one when I pull the pin for good. Hell, I might even organize it myself to avoid disappointment. But I do want to walk around with my CD3 for a while before I go, so it will be a couple years.

I've always understood it was your unit at the time of your final release. There's no point to a DWD if you aren't actually departing.
It took me about 5 years to get mine. I was at the the unit for another reason and stuck my head in to speak to the Adjt about it. Two months later, viola!
I didn't have one either of the times I released from the Reg Force. But I'm damn well going to have one when I pull the pin for good. Hell, I might even organize it myself to avoid disappointment. But I do want to walk around with my CD3 for a while before I go, so it will be a couple years.
You were at my very poorly organized DWD. I'll attend yours, or just buy you dinner when the time comes.

Twelve years.

Bronze - CD
Silver - CD plus bar
Gold - CD plus 1 bars
Platinum - CD plus 3 bars.

There were some recent changes. All can get found here:

To learn more about the updates, the CF Military Personnel Instructions can be found here on the DWAN. (HTTP://cmp-cpm.mil.ca/EN/POLICIES/CF-MIL-PERS-INSTR.PAGE).

Questions can be directed to the local CAF Transition Centre. The CMP Administrative Response Centre is available at cmparc.cracpm@forces.gc.ca or at 1.833.445.1182.

CO's responsibilities. At least for a Reg Force Member. I've never seen a Class A pers get this treatment. I know when I retired last year I didn't:

More on this site:

Twelve years.

Bronze - CD
Silver - CD plus bar
Gold - CD plus 1 bars
Platinum - CD plus 3 bars.
Yes, and of note, the platinum version has yet to be produced... despite being approved back in 2014.

Attachments

• vi446_20080062_fullb_CFSB.jpg
    vi446_20080062_fullb_CFSB.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 16
Yes, and of note, the platinum version has yet to be produced... despite being approved back in 2014.
That sounds typical for the CAF, just like announcing you can wear mess dress with the "distinctive CAF Retiree Insignia" on the lower left sleeve of the mess dress jacket when you retire but don't actually have the insignia available (even in picture form).

Back