• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

August 2010 BMQ

fishoutawater said:
Regarding the packing, we have moved through the military many times so far. You DO have to remove things from your walls, as well as your curtains, rods or the window blinds.

Sworn in today. It was a great experience. One of many to come no doubt.

I received among others a  moving expense form and no other information. Does this mean that I am to arrange for movers myself? Right now my furniture and effects are at my parent's place(where I am staying), and stored at no charge. Will my F&E will all remain there until I get my posting? I was under the impression that CF arranges movers and takes care of the whole process. Obviously I will not be there to 'oversee' the move if they come while I am on course in Cornwall.  CFR didn't explain that part of the process, and when the day was done, I forgot to inquire.

I'm going to CFR Victoria on Monday to figure it all out, nevertheless am looking to be pointed in the right direction. Cheers.

I'm thinking this will likely be for additional expenses occurred from the moving experience (ie, if you need to spend a night at a hotel, after your stuff is packed and removed from the premises).  Did you request your belongings be stored?  For myself personally, I know there is someone at the local base who is waiting for me to swear in before he calls me and begins to make arrangements for the pack and move.  But, call the recruiting centre on Monday to verify.

In the meantime, go through your crap and toss what you don't really need anymore and if there is anything personal or that you don't want them to pack, find a small box/crate and mark personal on it. Keep it at your parents or if you have a vehicle, keep it there so it doesn't go into storage. Remember, take out anything you think you may need over the next year because likely, it could be that long your stuff is in storage depending on your length of training, etc. (I.e., I'll be grabbing my roller-blades before they pack since I know I'll be at Borden until next fall... this is something I'd like to use next summer, etc.).

Edited to add, they'll likely be coming before you go to BMQ... within the period between enrollment and your start date... I've never heard of them coming after you leave. Essentially you need to be there while they pack your stuff for liability purposes. For example, you need to witness what goes into the boxes and when you unpack (after you find a place later on), you need to be there to witness the unpacking as well.

Thanks for clearing that up. I was asked if I needed storage on the job offer date, and said no, as it's all at the folks house. Still need it moved though :0

I imagine some clothes would come in handy to mark 'personal', as all I'll have is the few days worth of duds being taken to BMQ.

You will definitely want to let them know that you will require the moving aspect because they may not realise you actually have stuff that will one day require moving. I'd hate for you to get stuck with the cost of moving things, especially if across country!

I have a quick question for you guys.
I'm starting this Saturday and on the list "What to bring with you" is written bathing suit (provided by QM).
Does this mean that i need to buy a special bathing suit or it's provided by the forces?

3 days left before St-Jean!
These 3 days are going to feel like 10! SUPER EXCITED! :salute:

LCIS101 said:
I have a quick question for you guys.
I'm starting this Saturday and on the list "What to bring with you" is written bathing suit (provided by QM).
Does this mean that i need to buy a special bathing suit or it's provided by the forces?

I believe 1 is provided but bring one of your own for swimming on your own personal time.

Hoping someone here can enlighten me...

Starting BMQ August 23rd. Do you think we'll be getting our first pay on Aug 30th or Sept 15th?

Thanks!

Sentinel79 said:
Hoping someone here can enlighten me...

Starting BMQ August 23rd. Do you think we'll be getting our first pay on Aug 30th or Sept 15th?

Thanks!

Not likely to be the 30th since that day is not a pay day.

Sentinel79 said:
Which days are paydays?

15th and the last buisness day of the month. August 30th being a Monday, payday will be Tuesday the 31st.

Back