• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ATTN people to apply for ROTP Pilot

16 seems still young to pilot a plane or such.. I never would of expected it to be that young. But I am not educated in the ways of the wing I suppose ;)

CEEBEE501 said:
According to this its 16
http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/Regserv/Affairs/cars/Part4/menu.htm

16 to hold your license, but 14 for student pilot permit, with which you can solo.

SupersonicMax said:
That is possible that LASIK may be okay.  I had this info 2nd hand.
Yes, LASIK is acceptable, however I was told it's only the IntraLase LASIK method that's accepted. I found this out while going through the pilot application process and having just recently gotten the surgery (I had PRK). Always best to have this double and triple confirmed though if you're personally going this route.

If memory serves me correctly the notion was the flap could somehow shift under high acceleration.  I have a friend who was looking into applying for the space program (brilliant scientist/engineer), and lasik was a concern at the time for this very reason.  Personally, I think their concerns were unfounded.  Maybe under ejection conditions, but otherwise I have a hard time seeing that one as realistic.

KingKikapu said:
If memory serves me correctly the notion was the flap could somehow shift under high acceleration.  I have a friend who was looking into applying for the space program (brilliant scientist/engineer), and lasik was a concern at the time for this very reason.  Personally, I think their concerns were unfounded.  Maybe under ejection conditions, but otherwise I have a hard time seeing that one as realistic.

A friend of mine joined last year, and had a terrible time because she had had multiple LASIK surgeries over the years. The person applied for Navy, I believe they wanted the person to get the military-desired LASIK surgery or army was a no-go.. I do not know if the person got the surgery though because during the time I was boggled by a school and all that jumbo.

Your friend also might be screwed.  For each surgery, you need a specific amount of cornea tissue to get the job done.  Even lasik takes some away, leaving you less for the next round.  It doesn't take too many operations before the possibility of doing another is zippo.  Chances are I will never be able to get PRK eye surgery again when I grow old.

KingKikapu said:
Your friend also might be screwed.  For each surgery, you need a specific amount of cornea tissue to get the job done.  Even lasik takes some away, leaving you less for the next round.  It doesn't take too many operations before the possibility of doing another is zippo.  Chances are I will never be able to get PRK eye surgery again when I grow old.

I remember being told that, and that the third surgery was at high odds to be problematic. Hopefully they hold out for good, but that looks iffy. I will have to ask her the next time we speak.

Folgers said:
Yes, LASIK is acceptable, however I was told it's only the IntraLase LASIK method that's accepted. I found this out while going through the pilot application process and having just recently gotten the surgery (I had PRK). Always best to have this double and triple confirmed though if you're personally going this route.

According to the AMA directive, PRK, LASEK or LASIK (either wavefront guided, or conventional) is permissible for aircrew applicants and CTs.  Same goes for current aircrew other than pilot.  Current pilots may undergo only the wavefront guided variants of these procedures.

Barts said:
According to the AMA directive, PRK, LASEK or LASIK (either wavefront guided, or conventional) is permissible for aircrew applicants and CTs.  Same goes for current aircrew other than pilot.  Current pilots may undergo only the wavefront guided variants of these procedures.

I bet you would be hard-pressed to find non-wavefront guided setups today.  From a physics standpoint, you would be a moron to do ignore that advantage.

KingKikapu said:
I bet you would be hard-pressed to find non-wavefront guided setups today.  From a physics standpoint, you would be a moron to do ignore that advantage.

Very true.  I just listed the acceptable procedures for the sake of accuracy.  Although the directive is new (Mar 08), people have been getting surgery for years.

My PRK was more than 2.5 years ago now.

benny88 said:
I too have a CAT1, but it doesn't transfer over and you have to still do the military aircrew medical. A license will show the recruiting centre that you are dedicated enough to become a pilot to spend some money on it, but I would say it's not a major advantage. Where did you manage to solo before 16?  :rules:
Yeah, I know it doesnt transfer over, but atleast I have an idea with my vfitness (vision etc). i Solo'd at Springbank Airport, just outside of Calgary.

The surgery I was looking into is wavefront guided, however I have to wait another year and a half or so before I can get it anyways, and who knows what kinds of breakthroughs might come out by then! They might invent gene therapy that can alter the shape of your eyes for all I know haha. It seems laser surgery has been making nothing but strides over the last few years as it has been gaining popularity.

Intelligent Design said:
The surgery I was looking into is wavefront guided, however I have to wait another year and a half or so before I can get it anyways, and who knows what kinds of breakthroughs might come out by then! They might invent gene therapy that can alter the shape of your eyes for all I know haha. It seems laser surgery has been making nothing but strides over the last few years as it has been gaining popularity.
Truthfully, I don't see them being able to do much more with the technology on the accuracy end of things.  The tracking system is very accurate and using phased pulse correction ensures a custom profile for everyone.  About the only thing they can do to make it more accurate is an adaptive optics suite on the ccd to correct for things like turbulence or alcohols wafting in the air between the sensor and the eye (frankly overkill in my opinion).

Bionic eyes would be pretty sweet though.  Ghost in the Shell-style.

Mmm, bionic eyes that let you swap to night vision, thermal vision, and have your own personal HUD as well. How cool would that be? Of course we'd have to think of the ethical and human issues behind that. Is it really right to replace human parts with machines, just for the sake of making us better?

<Cough>Borg<cough>

I have heard this many times.
In the ROTP application one puts three choices such as #1: pilot #2: AERE #3: ANAV. Is there any truth to the fact that, given they pass ACS, one could still be offered AERE or ANAV over the 1st choice pilot?

I have completed my first year in university and have done very well. I am concerned that if I put AERE as my 2nd choice, I could be offered that over pilot, even if I pass ACS.

I am sure many people have this question in mind and has not found a sufficient answer.
Thanks

Yes, even with a pass at acs, they could offer you some other trade.

You don't need to put down 3 choices. If you're dead set on pilot and won't accept anything else, then just put down pilot.

(still doesn't mean its a sure thing though)

Corey

Ryanaaas said:
Yeah, I know it doesnt transfer over, but at least I have an idea with my vfitness (vision etc). i Solo'd at Springbank Airport, just outside of Calgary.

It doesn't transfer because you can have a CAT 1 from TC and still fail the aircrew medical at AUMB in Toronto.  It's more in depth and could find things not apparent beforehand.  Yes you have an idea of your fitness but that's it.

As you are at the application stage, your PFE will get you few points on your application under the applicable skills and experience tab.  For a hyper competitive occupation like pilot that's great, but most of your points come from leadership experience and potential.  The most important thing applicants forget (in my opinion) is that they are FIRST applying to be an officer, a leader, in the Canadian Forces.  Be passionate and excited about that (excel at cadets, in depth community involvement, whatever), mention and document your PFE for the bonus points, and you'll have a good application.

Back