• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ASC Feb 26th...

zorro

Inactive
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else on here is attending ASC during the week of Feb.26th??

Also, it was my understanding that the CFRC cut you a cheque before leaving and then you just kept receipts of all your expenses (hotel, food, ect) during the week and brought it back to them as proof....along with any remaining funds of the original grant. Well according to my CFRC they will only issue me gas money for the way up to Trenton (I'm driving myself since I'm just outside of Toronto) and that if I make it to the medicals I have to support myself and then return receipts to them when I get back to be re-imbursed.

This really isn't a problem, I was just kind of surprised they wouldn't help you out from the beginning. Also, the reason provided to me for this procedure is that; "Well the odds of you passing ASC are about 20%, if we give you all that money up theres a good chance that we won't see any of it if you don't make it to the medicals."

.................Now I didn't say anything.......well actually I did but just inside my head......--> ummm so am I not trustworthy is what you're telling me???......I know the CF is a government run organization but I mean jesus.....what happened to customer service?

Anyway, anyone attending the course on these dates? I'll see you there......

woops.....sorry I meant ACS.....

aircrew selection.

my bad.

Everybody save myself had been forwarded money on my course back in October; one drove from Kitchener and one flew from Winnipeg. Then again, 4 out of 10 of us passed so maybe they received it because our propensity to pass was higher  ;D

Horse hockey!

I went through ACS a year ago, and they (CFRC) were going to take care of my travel, hotel etc. Even when I said I was intending on providing my own transportation they had no problem.  I asked for an advance and they cut me a cheque for $500.00.  Now please note that what you are really paying for is your gas from point X to YTR. While in YTR for 3 days your food and lodgings are covered by Mr. & Mrs John Q. Taxpayer.  Assuming that you are successful in YTR you then will transport yourself to Downsview (Toronto) and will probably have a reservation at the Holiday Inn (401 & Duffrin).  You will now for the next 2 days pay for your food and lodgings out of pocket, and yes keep the receipts.  I was travelling from Kitchener and had no problem keeping within the $500.00. Oh yeah, for you guys that are not use to camping out in a hotel, credit card is a must.  If you have anymore questions regarding ACS or anything else give me a shout.

Looking

Hey, I'm going March 19, I too am from Kitchener. Looking4Higher, how'd you do and what are your plans now? Any tips?

theres another thread......

"Any offers from jan. pilot selection board?"

have a read through that.....

CAPSS really isnt that hard.......just pay attention and make sure ur completely alert during your sim sessions.

The nav test is VERY hard, or at least for me it was....(failed it).....have a review of highschool math...the rest either you can do it or u cant....

what entry plan did u apply for?

Hey thanks, I've looked high and low over these forums for ACS stuff, but I hadn't found that one. It helped, thanks. I am applying to ROTP, and have been told I'm a suitable candidate for RMC and Civvy U (which is what I want; Commerical Aviation Management @ Western.)

Hey Benny, hope things go well for you at ACS.  As far as Civy U or RMC, depends on what you want.  If you really want a top notch aviation degree, go south young man, go south.  Embry Riddle or University of North Dakota as examples.  You would have to look into whether US colleges/universities are covered under the ROTP (Probably Not).  But really, Canadian universities have not really developed a true aviation degree program.  Don`t get me wrong, I am not knocking the quality of education but for someone that truly wants a degree in aviation cannot get it in Canada.  What you are getting is a business degree and in the case of Western (Good School) you have to pay $50,000 dollars for the flight training portion (read the fine print)

For students entering the program in September 2006, the flight training portion of the program will cost a total of $50,000.  This amount is payable in four annual installments of $12,500 each, due in September of each year that the student is enrolled in the BMOS program.  Therefore students should be prepared to pay approximately $17,500 in tuition costs each year of the four-year program ($5,000 BMOS tuition + $12,500 flight training tuition). 

So you might as well go to any university and major in anything you want and do you commercial / multi-ifr on the side, cause no matter how you look at it you will be paying out of pocket for your flying.  You should also look at the difference between the Commercial Integrated licence and the regular Commercial licence on the transport Canada site.  Now, with you being ROTP, DND will be paying!  Say hi to Steve at Empire for me will ya!!

I am not a recruiter, but...

When I was applying, I had asked the MCC about CAMP @ Western and if the flying portion would be covered by ROTP, and his answer was no. DND will pay basic tuition, but the commercial license will have to be payed out of pocket.

I would always confirm anything with a second source but I am sure this new info in not false.  There you go. Always read the fine print!

Wow.  As someone who went through CAM @ UWO in 2004, I certainly got a huge discount compared to the students now!  And I'll definitely say hi to Steve...he's not there anymore (got a job in North Bay) but we still keep in touch.

I'm very surprised that the flying portion wasn't paid by DND though if you were going through ROTP.  I'd ask again; I'm sure there were at least a few a couple years below me that were getting all subsidized.

Cheers,
Dimsum

seems counter-inuitive that they would subsidize you to get a civie lisc. just to have you start at square one at BFT.

BFT's not square one. CAM program allows you to bypass PFT right to BFT. And it's subsidized.

benny88 said:
BFT's not square one. CAM program allows you to bypass PFT right to BFT. And it's subsidized.

Sure is square one, I'm going to guess you haven't done BFT so you wouldn't know that Clearhood 1 is straight and level flight. That's pretty much square one for a Commercial pilot, it sure was for me.

Looking4Higher said:
Hey Benny, hope things go well for you at ACS.  As far as Civy U or RMC, depends on what you want.  If you really want a top notch aviation degree, go south young man, go south.  Embry Riddle or University of North Dakota as examples.  You would have to look into whether US colleges/universities are covered under the ROTP (Probably Not).  But really, Canadian universities have not really developed a true aviation degree program.  Don`t get me wrong, I am not knocking the quality of education but for someone that truly wants a degree in aviation cannot get it in Canada.  What you are getting is a business degree and in the case of Western (Good School) you have to pay $50,000 dollars for the flight training portion (read the fine print)

For students entering the program in September 2006, the flight training portion of the program will cost a total of $50,000.  This amount is payable in four annual installments of $12,500 each, due in September of each year that the student is enrolled in the BMOS program.  Therefore students should be prepared to pay approximately $17,500 in tuition costs each year of the four-year program ($5,000 BMOS tuition + $12,500 flight training tuition). 

So you might as well go to any university and major in anything you want and do you commercial / multi-ifr on the side, cause no matter how you look at it you will be paying out of pocket for your flying.  You should also look at the difference between the Commercial Integrated licence and the regular Commercial licence on the transport Canada site.  Now, with you being ROTP, DND will be paying!  Say hi to Steve at Empire for me will ya!!

The University of New Brunswick has an aviation program that gives you your commercial license, and you business in aviation management degree.

Inch,
    The difficulty of BFT aside, it still allows you to skip PFT, which is techinically square one, right?

Volition,
      UNB has a program? Really? I can't find anything about it, would you post a link if you have a minute please?

benny88 said:
Inch,
    The difficulty of BFT aside, it still allows you to skip PFT, which is techinically square one, right?

Since square one doesn't have an exact definition...are you talking the point in training or what you learn.

Straight and level flight is square one, no one starts in Moose Jaw doing ILS approaches or low level nav, hell, you probably won't even do the take off on Clearhood 1. Everyone starts with straight and level flight, then turns, etc. It doesn't matter that you learned it in Portage, or anywhere else for that matter, you relearn it in Moose Jaw.

benny88 said:
Inch,

Volition,
      UNB has a program? Really? I can't find anything about it, would you post a link if you have a minute please?

No problem.......here you go
http://extend.unb.ca/aviation/flighttraining.php

Back