• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Alleged PMO obstruction in SNC Lavalin case

Woulda, shoulda, coulda.
Bottom line, the PM was out of line and showing favouritism to a donor, to obstruct the normal course of justice. Recorded, set up, backstabbed? It's an everyday fact of life for criminals. They chose the path, they cant complain when caught.

Every criminal and politician knows the adage of no honour amongst thieves. It should have been expected, so arrogance likely played a part in the ambush also.

Fishbone Jones said:
It should have been expected, so arrogance likely played a part in the ambush also.

It's only an ambush if she recorded just that conversation.  If she recorded others as a matter of routine, then it wasn't an ambush.

I agree with Haggis on this one.

Since it became easy to make digital recordings on computers, most lawyers I know (including myself) usually record any telecon that is known to be of some substance (other than just scheduling or minimal info) and usually just filed away in the client's electronic file after a memo completed summarizing - just so you can refer back to as the need may be at later time.

Nothing nefarious, just a working tool in a world where facts, dates and time of acquiring knowledge of same are important matters.

So what happens next?  IMHO it is too late for JT to clear the air through confession and the odds of his being able to survive another election are not good.  There have been reports that the libs. were agitating to turf the ladies but they would be better to turf Justin: admit that he did all these things on his own contrary to liberal principles blah blah blah and quickly select a new leader while they remain in government.  That way they may preserve some seats come October and put themselves in position to be a strong, principled, opposition.  who knows, they might even pull of a minority victory.

YZT580 said:
So what happens next?  IMHO it is too late for JT to clear the air through confession and the odds of his being able to survive another election are not good.  There have been reports that the libs. were agitating to turf the ladies but they would be better to turf Justin: admit that he did all these things on his own contrary to liberal principles blah blah blah and quickly select a new leader while they remain in government.  That way they may preserve some seats come October and put themselves in position to be a strong, principled, opposition.  who knows, they might even pull of a minority victory.

The Liberals won't jettison JT. Those who like him, like him alot. It verges on personality cult. It is not like any of the folks at the centre of this are suddenly going to have a moment of moral clarity and resign.

Plus, it must be remembered that Trudeau is a formidable campaigner and an election is in October. That is 6 months away, which is a long time in politics.

SeaKingTacco said:
The Liberals won't jettison JT. Those who like him, like him alot. It verges on personality cult. It is not like any of the folks at the centre of this are suddenly going to have a moment of moral clarity and resign.
Agree completely, having heard this week from a JT fan that "there's nothing to this; the Conservatives just keep trying to make this seem important because they have nothing to offer themselves."

For many people, when your mind is made up, facts are of no consequence.

Haggis said:
It's only an ambush if she recorded just that conversation.  If she recorded others as a matter of routine, then it wasn't an ambush.
Yeah, ambush was a bad choice in words.

Fishbone Jones said:
Yeah, ambush was a bad choice in words.

The Tyee is reporting that JWR has stated that this is the only conversation that she recorded.

If true, make of it what you will.

SeaKingTacco said:
The Tyee is reporting that JWR has stated that this is the only conversation that she recorded.

If true, make of it what you will.

Interesting.  Coupled with statements made by PMO, PCO and participants in the Admiral Norman cases it would appear that keeping records is only for plebes. 

I keep hearing elements of Natasha - "But Dahlink, I am too important...."

I don't really see how its an ambush.

Putting this into context, this is after this has sustained for months and is coming a peak point in the pressure. This is *after* the conversation her DM had with Butts and Telford, in which her DM reported to her some disturbing things. It's clear her DM also felt they were asking her to interfere based on the text messages.

Now she's been asked to call the Clerk (clear this was at his request, not hers)...

So I can fully understand someone in her shoes, given the events that had transpired up to that point, why she might be inclined to record the conversation. That doesn't make it an ambush, it's not like she requested the call and started steering the conversation. He requested the call and quite frankly *he* led the conversation the entire time.

The PMO states that the Clerk never discussed with Trudeau the results of his call to JWR.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5113193/pmo-michael-wernick-jody-wilson-raybould/

Michael Wernick never briefed Trudeau that he spoke with Wilson-Raybould: PMO

Extract: The Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) said the clerk of the Privy Council Office (PCO) never briefed Justin Trudeau on his talk with ex-attorney general Jody Wilson-Raybould, that was captured on a recording released on Friday. In a statement to Global News, the PMO also said it was “unaware of the full contents of this recording before today.”

There are numerous ways this could get filthier... but the Clerk now having been thrown under the bus and stating that he did brief JT would be one of the bigger ones...

That said, considering he already straight-up lied to the Justice committee about that conversation makes me think he's just gonna accept the tread marks on his face.

Rifleman62 said:
The PMO states that the Clerk never discussed with Trudeau the results of his call to JWR.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5113193/pmo-michael-wernick-jody-wilson-raybould/

Michael Wernick never briefed Trudeau that he spoke with Wilson-Raybould: PMO

Extract: The Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) said the clerk of the Privy Council Office (PCO) never briefed Justin Trudeau on his talk with ex-attorney general Jody Wilson-Raybould, that was captured on a recording released on Friday. In a statement to Global News, the PMO also said it was “unaware of the full contents of this recording before today.”

I believe it.
He never technically officially briefed Trudeau on the talk with her afterwards, makes for perfect deniability for the PM if shit goes sideways, which it did.
Trudeau told him what he wanted to happen, told him he wasn't taking no for an answer, and told him not to tell him about the conversation afterwards. Pretty smart.

ballz said:
That said, considering he already straight-up lied to the Justice committee about that conversation makes me think he's just gonna accept the tread marks on his face.

and the "sudden" resignation from the Public service...... ::)

The Clerk's comment, at his second appearance in front of the Committee, that his recollection re his discussion with JWR that he wasn't wearing a wire would appear to indicate that he found out that the conversation was recorded.

https://ottawacitizen.com/opinion/editorials/editorial-wilson-raybould-wernick-butts-philpott-whats-next-in-the-snc-affair

On the second occasion, he sparred with opposition MPs by repeating “I wasn’t wearing a wire” when asked about key interactions with Wilson-Raybould. As he tried to counter her version of events, he managed to look both evasive and contemptuous.

Take one for the team Mr. Clerk.

Let's be clear here, and translate from from "politicalese" while applying logic to the statement.

Trudeau stated that he was "unaware of the full contents of this recording before today".

First, the logic: Since before today, Trudeau was unaware that the recording even existed, I would say that he was unaware of any of its content.

Now the politicalese: Trudeau is unaware of the full content. This means he is aware of some of the contents. Now, this makes perfect sense since the Clerk would not have reported every single word of the conversation verbatim to the PM - unless Wernick is an anal retentive person who memorizes every detail of every conversation they have ever had and repeat them word for word. Moreover, Trudeau does not indicate which part of the contents of the conversation he was aware of, and which part he wasn't.

Clearly, another attempt at diversion using useless drivel that permits both claiming that he "answered" Wilson-Raybould's "recording" issue, while covering his ass for later, when the details of what he knew exactly of it come out. He''l be bale to say he never lied about what he did or did not know ('cause he never mentioned it).

More to come: there appears to be a groundswell of opinion that JWR and Dr Bennett should be ejected from caucus.

Pressure building in Liberal caucus to eject Wilson-Raybould, Philpott

A growing number of Liberal MPs say they're prepared to boot Jody Wilson-Raybould and Jane Philpott from caucus next week, according to a survey of dozens of Liberal MPs by CBC News.

CBC News has learned that MPs will discuss expelling the two women when they return to Parliament from their ridings next week.

CBC Link

People should always be mindful of the saying, “be careful what you ask for.”

ModlrMike said:
More to come: there appears to be a groundswell of opinion that JWR and Dr Bennett should be ejected from caucus.

Pressure building in Liberal caucus to eject Wilson-Raybould, Philpott

A growing number of Liberal MPs say they're prepared to boot Jody Wilson-Raybould and Jane Philpott from caucus next week, according to a survey of dozens of Liberal MPs by CBC News.

CBC News has learned that MPs will discuss expelling the two women when they return to Parliament from their ridings next week.

CBC Link

Why?

Because it's 2019  8)

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/christie-blatchford-the-jody-wilson-raybould-solution

Christie Blatchford: The Jody Wilson-Raybould solution - 30 Mar 19
      The day after Trudeau pointed to her ongoing presence in cabinet as evidence that should allay any concerns about the propriety of government conduct in relation to SNC, she quit

OTTAWA — They’re thugs – the senior people in the office of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, the clerk of the privy council and the nation’s top bureaucrat, the people in the office of Finance Minister Bill Morneau — or so close as to be indistinguishable from them.

I refer to their collective behaviour around the SNC-Lavalin imbroglio, in particular their relentless effort to strong-arm the deposed attorney-general Jody Wilson-Raybould into finding a way (a “solution” they called it) to give the big Quebec-based engineering and construction giant what’s called a DPA, or deferred prosecution agreement.

SNC-Lavalin is facing charges of fraud and bribery for its alleged conduct in Libya between 2001 and 2011. Assuming the case goes to trial (a decision from the preliminary hearing judge is expected soon), a DPA would spare the company the pain of a criminal conviction and the resulting potential 10-year ban on bidding on government contracts. Kathleen Roussel, JWR’s Director of Public Prosecutions, had decided by early September a DPA wasn’t appropriate in the case; by mid-September, Wilson-Raybould had decided she wouldn’t interfere.

As is now clear, both from the written submissions, including text messages and a surreptitiously recorded phone conversation with the aforementioned privy council clerk Michael Wernick, that JWR sent the Parliamentary justice committee this week, some of those people threatened the former AG herself.

Some of them threatened her staff, notably Jessica Prince, also an accomplished lawyer. When, for instance, Prince’s briefing on what Morneau’s chief of staff Ben Chin told her led to JWR telling Morneau in the House of Commons, in effect, to call off his dogs, Chin told Prince, “your boss spoke to Bill yesterday and said that me and Elder [Marques, a lawyer and senior advisor in the PMO] were ‘mucking around’ on this file. “Be careful when using my name Jess,” Chin said.

Collectively, these people bandied about the name of former Supreme Court of Canada Chief Justice Beverley McLachlin as though she were just another legal gun-for-hire, an ambulance chaser who would, you know wink-wink, just do the bidding of her client and supply the desired opinion upon request.

One of them, the former Trudeau principal secretary Gerry Butts, when asked by Prince what questions an “external counsel” (McLachlin had been mentioned by name already by Butts and Wernick and, according to Wernick, by Trudeau) might be asked, replied, “Whether the AG can review the DPP’s decision here?” and “whether she should in this case?”

Prince asked a hypothetical. “What,” she asked, “if the opinion comes saying ‘She can review it, but she shouldn’t’ or simply, ‘She can’t review it’?” “Mr. Butts stated, ‘it wouldn’t say that,’” Prince told JWR. Prince remembered this very clearly, JWR said in her written submission to the justice committee, “because this response made her nervous.” I bet it did: It’s not every day that high-ranking government officials talk about a former chief justice with such overt familiarity and with such a casual sense of ownership.

Justin To, another PMO advisor (he was identified as one of Morneau’s, perhaps because his bailiwick was economics, or perhaps he’s switched jobs), called Prince the same day. He steered the conversation to SNC and whinged, “why can’t SNC just go through the process?” Prince replied that it was the DPP who controls the process. To said, “It’s just a bit ironic that she [JWR] wants an alternative justice [a reference to restorative justice] to be available in one sense, but not for SNC.

”This of course appears to have been a sly shot at Wilson-Raybould’s Aboriginal roots; true restorative justice, with the notion that offender and victim can sometimes meet in a healing circle and speak more truthfully and to a better end for both of them than might be achieved in a more adversarial court process, started with Canada’s Indigenous people. (To his credit, To later the same day emailed Prince to apologize if there was any misunderstanding. Prince replied politely, but she and JWR had understood very well what he’d meant.)

And then there was that astonishing phone call with Wernick on Dec. 18, wherein she repeatedly told him in the firmest terms that even the call they were having was inappropriate — that the constitutional principle of prosecutorial independence was at risk with their conversation and all the ones that had gone before it — and he simply would not quit. Wernick was merely doing the PM’s bidding, of course, and was reporting back to him that very night, he said. (see article "Michael Wernick never briefed Trudeau that he spoke with Wilson-Raybould: PMO" and see Oldgateboatdriver's comment above)

The PM was very concerned, he told Wilson-Raybould, about this “signature firm”, SNC, and “job loss and all that coming after the Oshawa thing [the shutdown of the GM plant] and what is going on in Calgary and what-not.” If ever Alberta wanted a glimpse of the hive mind in Justin Trudeau’s office, it came here: The job losses in the oil sands, the stalled pipelines, the vacant office space, that was “Calgary and what-not”.

But SNC was a “signature” firm for which all the stops must be pulled out. Wernick told her he was worried about a “collision” between her and the PM. Trudeau was very firm. “I think he is gonna find a way to get it done one way or another.”

The next time she heard from the PM or anyone in the PMO was on Jan. 7, when Trudeau told her she was being shuffled out of justice and the AG. She told him, and Butts, that she believed it was “because of a decision I would not take in the SNC-Lavalin DPA matter, which they denied.”

She turned down Indigenous affairs, and was aghast she’d even been offered it, given her well-known views of getting beyond the Indian Act. But after some deliberation, she decided she would take the PM at his word and accepted veterans affairs. She also made another decision, in private, “that I would immediately resign if the new attorney-general decided” to do what she had refused to do because she knew it was so wrong. The day after Justin Trudeau pointed to her ongoing presence in cabinet as evidence that should allay any concerns about the propriety of government conduct in relation to SNC and said her presence “spoke for itself”, she quit.

“I trust my resignation also speaks for itself,” she said. What a pistol she is.

(And by the way, I love that while she liked being the AG, she never described it as her “dream job”; that, she said, was Gerry Butts’ description. “I’m not sure I’d refer to any job as a dream job,” she said. That’s because she’s a proper adult; I bet she similarly has no “dream house”. And I love how Jess Prince once told her, of the condescending PMO gang, “I hate that they call you Jody.”)

She is writing their epitaph.

Back