• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Alleged PMO obstruction in SNC Lavalin case

I'm not in agreement that there are grounds to investigate a justice system participant. Generally that involves threats of violence or harm or causing fear preventing a person from performing their duty. Nor is it criminal interference, as there was no ongoing investigation.
I do agree with JWR that Parliament ought to consider whether an AG be independent from Cabinet, which in the case of Canada means separating the duties of the justice minister from the AG.

There are political models. The UK has a structure that insulates the AG much more than we have. There is still a Lord Chancellor, but the AG is not a full cabinet member. As a result, the political considerations are not front and centre. There are probably other models as well, but what we have would have been broken under a less resolute AG. Just my 0.02.

One more thing: the PCO (Wernick) bringing up Iacabucci ( a former SCC judge) as a threat that he is no “violet” as the lead counsel for SNC probably was the final straw. I think it quite just that she hired her own former SCC judge as her own counsel.

So does anyone have a link to a Liberal or preferably PM reply to today's questioning of JWR or the oppositions call for the PM resignation?

Cloud Cover said:
One more thing: the PCO (Wernick) bringing up Iacabucci ( a former SCC judge) as a threat that he is no “violet” as the lead counsel for SNC probably was the final straw ...
Missed that tidbit -- thanks for sharing that.

Just a little reminder of another task he's up to - this from October 2018 from the law firm Iacobucci works for ...
We are pleased to announce that in connection with the Government of Canada’s proposed TransMountain pipeline expansion, the Honourable Frank Iacobucci has been appointed to provide advice on the design of the consultation process with Indigenous groups and to oversee that process.

The Honourable Frank Iacobucci has released the following statement in connection with his appointment announced today by the Government of Canada:

“I am honoured to be asked to take on this important role and am excited and eager to begin. How this process is managed is of deep concern to all the parties involved and is profoundly important for the country. I am committed to working diligently to ensure that the Court’s judgment is applied properly and that Indigenous peoples are meaningfully consulted.”
I stand to be corrected if he's no longer doing that job.

That said, whatever would THAT mean for the Honourable learned counsel in this case?  ;)

He's probably pissed that Wernick tried that stunt. How can the country be confident that the PMO/PCO hasn't attempted to influence other prosecutions undertaken by the Federal DoJ? We already know that lawyers from the PMO staff met with the Prosecutors in the Norman trial to plan strategy to "engineer the outcome". Did JWR know that? It seems unlikely. Her body language, tone and inflexion turned to ice today when Norman was mentioned, and same when Huawei was mentioned.

Somewhat off-topic, but related, from earlier in the day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWMjh2phAuY

Best comment: "Was he just standing up for jobs for prostitutes? That's how ridiculous it sounded."

I'm expecting  either a PM Trudeau teary-eyed apology about how he messed up and he so so sorry and he learned from his mistakes and he will do better. With more tears.

Or

A simple "she experienced it differently, we dont need an ethics investigation case closed we're moving on".

Jarnhamar said:
I'm expecting  either a PM Trudeau teary-eyed apology about how he messed up and he so so sorry and he learned from his mistakes and he will do better. With more tears.

Or

A simple "she experienced it differently, we dont need an ethics investigation case closed we're moving on".

He is, apparently, going with the second of the two COAs that you mentioned. For now, anyway.

In addition to the PM, the PMO and the Liberals my sense is there are at least two other "institutions" worrying about their reputations.

1.  The press.  - The notion that the PMO can wall-paper the media with op-ed writers and experts is not going down well with the club.  It tends to give credence to all those who believe that the news is something less than it professes.

2.  The Civil Service - Michael Wernick, head of the Civil Service, man responsible for picking, promoting, hiring, firing and assigning civil servants, has clearly demonstrated a party-political preference.  On what grounds does he make his hiring decisions and his assignments?  Is he the only Liberal in the Civil Service?  Are there fellow-travellers that were in place when the Tory government was working with them?

Right or wrong there are questions.

Chris Pook said:
In addition to the PM, the PMO and the Liberals my sense is there are at least two other "institutions" worrying about their reputations.

1.  The press.  - The notion that the PMO can wall-paper the media with op-ed writers and experts is not going down well with the club.  It tends to give credence to all those who believe that the news is something less than it professes.

2.  The Civil Service - Michael Wernick, head of the Civil Service, man responsible for picking, promoting, hiring, firing and assigning civil servants, has clearly demonstrated a party-political preference.  On what grounds does he make his hiring decisions and his assignments?  Is he the only Liberal in the Civil Service?  Are there fellow-travellers that were in place when the Tory government was working with them?

Right or wrong there are questions.

I noted that the CBC reaction/coverage of JWR was...muted...today. The Cohen testimony in the US seemed to be getting more play.

If the Liberals do not survive this (and I don't think they will), Wernick is done the second another party takes power.

I generally believe civil servants are reasonably non-partisan on the job. That said, i figure there is a metric boatload of soul searching going on in Ottawa and elsewhere about choices made during the last election. And direction to be carried out since the last election.

After disbelief, comes anger. A whole bunch of civil servants could, starting tomorrow, starting dumping data and telling tales of about other ethical breaches they have witnessed or been party to in the past 3 years out of anger at having been lied to or in an effort to get in front of things.

Everything comes out, eventually...

SeaKingTacco said:
... If the Liberals do not survive this (and I don't think they will), Wernick is done the second another party takes power ...
Chris Pook said:
.... Is he the only Liberal in the Civil Service?  Are there fellow-travellers that were in place when the Tory government was working with them? ...
Don't forget, though, that he was first appointed into the DM ranks by this guy ...
UqUTTE49_400x400.jpg

... and kept there when he could have EASILY been moved/punted by any PM thinking he wasn't up to the job.

However, if you want to read tea leaves, there's always this @ LinkedIn :) - screen capture attached if link doesn't work for you.

Chris Pook said:
...The press.  - The notion that the PMO can wall-paper the media with op-ed writers and experts is not going down well with the club.  It tends to give credence to all those who believe that the news is something less than it professes ...
Well, if you believe that, then how much doubt did you express when a media outlet, one of those "bought" by Team Red, came out with allegations of political meddling in a legal case based on unnamed sources?  A lot of people were happy to forget the Globe's alleged track record of being in the tank for the Liberals, until they published something bashing said Liberals - where were the critiques of those who believe the news is something less than it professes? ;)

Also, do you think this is any different from any other government in power at any level, be they Team Red, Team Blue or Team Orange?

All that said ...
SeaKingTacco said:
... Everything comes out, eventually...
Chris Pook said:
... Right or wrong there are questions.
:nod:

Attachments

• WernickLinkedIn.JPG
    WernickLinkedIn.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 148
https://torontosun.com/news/national/wilson-raybould-i-was-pushed-got-veiled-threats-on-snc-lavalin/wcm/b468a082-526b-41c6-bc86-92734c44ed44

Wilson-Raybould: I was pushed, got veiled threats on SNC-Lavalin

Wilson-Raybould: I was pushed, got veiled threats on SNC-Lavalin

Canadian Press Published: February 27, 2019

OTTAWA - Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is reconsidering Jody Wilson-Raybould's future in the Liberal party after his former attorney general accused him, his senior staff and the country's top civil servant of putting her under relentless pressure to interfere in the criminal prosecution of SNC-Lavalin and refused to say whether she still believes in his leadership.

"I completely disagree with the former attorney general's characterization of events," Trudeau said in Montreal, shortly after Wilson-Raybould concluded four hours of explosive testimony before the House of Commons justice committee. "I strongly maintain, as I have from the beginning, that I and my staff always acted appropriately and professionally."

He said he will review all of Wilson-Raybould's testimony before deciding whether she can remain in the Liberal caucus or seek re-election this fall as a Liberal candidate.

Wilson-Raybould reiterated her intention to remain part of the Liberal team as she exited the committee room, even though she refused during questioning to say whether she still had confidence in the leader of that team.

"I'm not sure how that question is relevant," she said when asked by a Liberal colleague if she still has confidence in the prime minister.

Trudeau 'definitely not in agreement' after Wilson-Raybould details pressure in SNC-Lavalin affair: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=784&v=2gMDW_MYEbc

The political consequences of Jody Wilson-Raybould's testimony | At Issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN5vfYCaQEc

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/furey-the-unbearable-lightness-of-justin-trudeau

FUREY: The unbearable lightness of Justin Trudeau
Anthony Furey Published: February 27, 2019

How on earth would he spin it? Forget spin. How on earth can he survive this? After watching Jody Wilson-Raybould's calm, composed, lengthy and detailed damning testimony against Justin Trudeau, it was hard to imagine the PM would have anything to say in response besides staring at the cameras like a deer in the headlights.

Yet there he was, not long after the justice committee hearing had wrapped up, waltzing into a media availability in Quebec to celebrate the new Liberal MP elected during the Wednesday byelections.

He was all smiles, and even the occasional smirk, as he swatted aside everything, not a care in the world.

<snip>

But Trudeau didn't seem fazed when he took to the podium Wednesday evening. He admitted he hadn't seen all of her testimony (then why comment on it?!) but had no problem labelling J.W.R. a liar.

"I completely disagree with the former attorney general's characterization of events," Trudeau said, with a smile.

Of course, he'd set us up for this denial. On Tuesday he said it was important for J.W.R. to testify so she could "share her perspective." Not facts. Not, as she put, her truth. But her perspective. And now he says her perspective was the wrong one.

Zero apology, zero regret - instead, he proudly urged Canadians to have faith in the ethics commissioner, who has opened an investigation into this affair. And, yes, that would be the same ethics commissioner who simply doles out fines to the tune of $200 if someone has been found to break a law.

Trudeau says he welcomes that process. (Will he say the same about the RCMP investigation that is no doubt soon to commence?)

Before stepping away from the mic, he got in one of his now regularly occurring digs about the Conservatives "dividing" people, as if that shield would work this time around.

But based on his composure, the look on his face, how he was cockier than usual - it seems Justin Trudeau really does think this will all soon go away.

That's the part, his attitude, that makes this whole saga so hard to bear.

Question: Could the current GoC be kicked to the curb if a no confidence motion were to be introduced?

That would require enough Liberals to vote in support of the motion for it to pass.

Hamish Seggie said:
Question: Could the current GoC be kicked to the curb if a no confidence motion were to be introduced?

Unlikely, the motion would be voted down by the Liberal majority.

I believe that if Her Excellency the Governor General assessed that the Government had lost the confidence of the people, independent of a lower house vote, there could be action taken, but that is unlikely at this point.

Loachman said:
That would require enough Liberals to vote in support of the motion for it to pass.
Even the motion being defeated would be more gas on the fire for the next election. Individual MPs who voted to stay in power would have that thrown in their face on the campaign trail. If such a motion was proposed, I think there would be a lot of sick Liberal MPs who couldnt make the vote that day...

How disgustingly corrupt of our government and prime minister.

Good thing the Liberals pre-emptively bought the media.

Jarnhamar said:
How disgustingly corrupt of our government and prime minister.

To be fair, that media isn't giving them much of a pass on this, I'm actually a bit surprised to see it.

That said, most Canadian's seem more interested in the circus south of the border so maybe this will all go away.

Jarnhamar said:
That would include the "bought" media that brought us the first story starting this thread based on unnamed sources?  Or shouldn't we not have believed that, either? ;)
Furniture said:
... That said, most Canadian's seem more interested in the circus south of the border so maybe this will all go away.
I don't know about that -- a lot of people I know who keep at least some track of politics have been riveted by this one, even those interested by whazzup south of the border.  YMMV

Back