• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Alleged PMO obstruction in SNC Lavalin case

First, I'd like to thank everyone for the level of discourse being maintained; this is certainly the standard we would like to continue to see in the political threads.

Second, please remember that not everyone is viewing the thread with the same colour scheme you are drafting your response with. While the use of coloured text certainly allows you to emphasize certain aspects of your post, the colours you choose may actually have the opposite effect on one of the other versions of the site by making certain coloured portions of your post essentially unreadable.

Army.ca Staff

Chris Pook said:
I was struck by how calm and composed she was.  I sensed that this was a person completely at ease with her situation and I believe that that is in large part that as an "outsider" in Ottawa she draws her strength not from the locals but from her roots - her family, her clan and her beliefs.  I suspect that regardless of the outcome she knows she can always go home and live with herself.

It was mentioned earlier in the thread, but I believe a good source of that calm and composed nature was she could fall back on her notes which were made contemporaneously.

When I'm in court getting cross examined, I have always been thankful to "past self" for taking good clear notes regarding my interactions. It's amazing how quickly memory can fail you in pressured situations.

There is a lesson there for all of us - particularly folks in a leadership position. I am often asked by people on what to do in situations when something smells bad but doesn't necessarily invite police involvement. My answer is always the same, start by taking good clear notes about everything you can remember in the conversation / interaction.

Rifleman62 said:
Except if you work in the high echelons of NDHQ.

Field Message Pads are so ugly and they spoil the way the tunic falls.

Warren Kinsella: RCMP were watching, now investigating, sending preservation letters, obtaining search warrants. https://www.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1622821&playlistId=1.4316317&binId=1.810401&playlistPageNum=1&binPageNum=1

Cloud Cover said:
Warren Kinsella: RCMP were watching, now investigating, sending preservation letters, obtaining search warrants. https://www.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1622821&playlistId=1.4316317&binId=1.810401&playlistPageNum=1&binPageNum=1
Tick, tick, tick ...

JesseWZ said:
When I'm in court getting cross examined, I have always been thankful to "past self" for taking good clear notes regarding my interactions. It's amazing how quickly memory can fail you in pressured situations.

Good notes have saved my bacon a few times in court.

JesseWZ said:
There is a lesson there for all of us - particularly folks in a leadership position. I am often asked by people on what to do in situations when something smells bad but doesn't necessarily invite police involvement. My answer is always the same, start by taking good clear notes about everything you can remember in the conversation / interaction.

I usually take copious point form notes during meetings leaving space below each to fill in the details later either during round table discussions or Q&As.

Meanwhile, in Montreal

PM Trudeau reflecting on Wilson-Raybould's presence in Liberal caucus

The only related article in the on-line edition of the Montreal Gazette.

https://montrealgazette.com/

That and Christie Blatchford's opinion piece buried low on the opinion page.  The editorial is about Cannabis.

La Presse gives the case a similar light treatment

https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/politique/

Sir_Spams_a_lot said:
Or, and this is just the meanderings of a sleep deprived mind, The cynics among us could see it as her having a game plan toward future employment, and has just Bangalore Torpedoed a couple of very big obstacles in her centre of axis.

I think that as a trained lawyer (crown prosecutor at that) that she knew exactly what she was doing and how to do it.  She had a game plan.  But I think it had more to do with her showing the world that she was not going to have her integrity questioned.  Her performance will be talked about for a long time.  Very impressive.

Employability will not be an issue for her.  I'm willing to bet she has dozens of offers from other sectors right now.

Read her bio.  Her father clashed with JT's father.  Her father told PET that her daughter wanted to be PM one day.

Watch for announcements of various legislation and initiatives as they desperately try to change the channel. 

Colin P said:
Watch for announcements of various legislation and initiatives as they desperately try to change the channel.

If they follow their Ontario provincial counterparts they will promise all sorts of stuff. 

milnews.ca said:
That would include the "bought" media that brought us the first story starting this thread based on unnamed sources?  Or shouldn't we not have believed that, either? ;)

Yes it would.

Does it mean the media is going to be silenced? No.
Completely ignore getting first crack at a story that may possibly topple the liberal government?  Probably not.
But pull a lot of punches or burry stories? I think so.

Colin P said:

Well, announcing Canada is going to the Moon, then Mars, with the Americans, investing in development of Canadarm-3, certainly didn't work today: every single question he fielded after the announcement at the Canadian Space Agency was about the Wilson-Raybould testimony.  :facepalm:

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Well, announcing Canada is going to the Moon, then Mars, with the Americans, investing in development of Canadarm-3, certainly didn't work today: every single question he fielded after the announcement at the Canadian Space Agency was about the Wilson-Raybould testimony.  :facepalm:
Along with the Minister of Public Safety's announcement yesterday of a bill to allow "expedited pardons" for cannabis convictions.

Jarnhamar said:
Yes it would.

Completely ignore getting first crack at a story that may possibly topple the liberal government?  Probably not.

I don't necessarily agree. Now that this issue is in the open, there will be a veritable feeding fest as media dials up every source they have in the government looking for additional tidbits, other allegations of corruption, anything they can even remotely connect to this issue (think VAdm Norman, etc).

I think the Honourable Member for Vancouver-Granville is a crack in the dam of silence which may embolden others to come forward and share their stories.

Personally, I wish the Liberal caucus members who are not part of the government (they are the majority, BTW, as only members who hold an appointment as either ministers, or in the larger sense as secretaries of state, are actually part of the government - not any backbenchers) would get the courage to actually do their job as our watchers of the government and actually oust him. The GG then can either dissolve Parliament or ask someone else (Wilson-Raybould?) to see if he/she get the confidence of the Commons to put together a cabinet.

But that's just me, a conservative constitutional monarchist.
:dunno:

Jarnhamar said:
Yes it would.

Arguably that was happening before. So status quo?

With just eight months til the election, I’m quite sure the Governor General will leave the question of confidence in the elected majority government in the hands of the voters where, in all but the most extreme cases, it should reside.

JesseWZ said:
I don't necessarily agree. Now that this issue is in the open, there will be a veritable feeding fest as media dials up every source they have in the government looking for additional tidbits, other allegations of corruption, anything they can even remotely connect to this issue (think VAdm Norman, etc).

One starts to wonder if “the other issue” about which the then-Attorney General wished to speak to the PM was related to the good Vice-Admiral? 

One of the sad story lines in the “accountability of actions and investigations” is the PM’s assertion that the Justice Committee has the investigation well in hand, yet it is not truly representative of the people as the partisan majority of the Committee continues to resist a scope of investigation that Joe and Jane Canada reasonably should expect to be pursued.

Regards
G2G 

Jarnhamar said:
More nuanced answer - thanks for clarifying.
Oldgateboatdriver said:
Personally, I wish the Liberal caucus members who are not part of the government (they are the majority, BTW, as only members who hold an appointment as either ministers, or in the larger sense as secretaries of state, are actually part of the government - not any backbenchers) would get the courage to actually do their job as our watchers of the government and actually oust him ...
Until the rules change, all MP's are "part" of government.  Never say never, but political memories can be long when future bosses consider such political defiers/courageous stand takers.
Oldgateboatdriver said:
... The GG then can either dissolve Parliament or ask someone else (Wilson-Raybould?) to see if he/she get the confidence of the Commons to put together a cabinet ...
Not quite that "someone else", according to this ...
... Should the Government be defeated on a confidence question, under this convention the Prime Minister would normally be required to submit his or her resignation to the Governor General. The Governor General may either dissolve Parliament with a view to a general election or, much more rarely, invite the leader of another party in the House to form a new government ...
Good2Golf said:
One of the sad story lines in the “accountability of actions and investigations” is the PM’s assertion that the Justice Committee has the investigation well in hand, yet it is not truly representative of the people as the partisan majority of the Committee continues to resist a scope of investigation that Joe and Jane Canada reasonably should expect to be pursued.
Under FPTP, the committees represent the "results" of the election based on # of seats, not the popular vote.  So, time for prop rep voting?  :stirpot:

Back