• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Aircrew Selection/ACS (Merged)

Goodday all!
I recently sat the ACS test but I did not qualify for pilot; I did however qualify for ACSO and AEC. The testing officer told me that If I wanted to retake the test, I wouldn't have much problem clearing it as my score wasn't far from cutoff. I think I will go for ACSO because I don't know if I can wait for 12 more months. Now, I originally applied for CEOTP but does anyone know if I have to now apply for a ROTP now?

I do not believe there is any intake planed for CEOTP ACSO.

For the successful pilot candidates who were using lumosity and timedistancespeed.info, what was your average question answer time on the time distance speed questions and what was your accuracy? Also what was your average answer time on the time distance fuel questions?

Roger123 said:
I divided 130 by 52 and you get 2 whole divisions, hence the 2 hrs. ( 130 - 2(52)) is the remainder. 130 - 2 (52). Multiplied 52 by 2 because 52 goes into 130 twice. 130 - 2 (52)= 130- 104 = 26. 26/52 = 0.5. Total time is 2hrs + 0.5 hrs = 2.5 hrs.

Nothing has to be perfectly exact. Virtually everything will be multiple choice or a whole number. You want to be really quick because you'll pretty much never have enough time to answer everything. So the goal is to answer as much as you can as quickly as you can. 130-104 =26. 26 is half of 52. You probably won't see stuff that is 2.47895 so if it looks close to half, assume it is half and carry on quickly.

My biggest tip would be to memorize multiplication tables (for those of us many years removed from high school it takes practice getting it back) and memorize up 15x15 or even 20x20.

Multitasking is important. In between practicing math questions and other cognitive things, I played StarCraft, or watched high level players. That's where you see really high level time management and multitasking skills come into effect. Especially the first 5 minutes of games where managing sequences to maximize concurrent activity will really benefit you when you are tested on things like that. Plus it's actually a nice break from simply studying all the time (don't burn yourself out, at the end of the day the test evaluates aptitude, not your existing skillset. If you aren't cut out for it, you probably won't pass, if you are, you probably will pass. The prep probably only really helps a small fraction that would otherwise be a couple of points short of passing).

A quick tip that always benefited me is that I always study with a distraction in the background (music or TV show) and try to follow along the music/TV show while studying.  It teaches the brain to share attention.

Pre-flight said:
In between practicing math questions and other cognitive things, I played StarCraft, or watched high level players. That's where you see really high level time management and multitasking skills come into effect. Especially the first 5 minutes of games where managing sequences to maximize concurrent activity will really benefit you when you are tested on things like that.

That actually helps? Fascinating.

I went through this long before Algore invented the Internet and nobody prepared, or knew how/what to practice (same as CFAT). We all went in blind. The tests were to determine innate aptitude rather than ability to learn/adapt/prepare. I would be interested to see the results of a study to determine how much of a difference preparation actually makes, were one to be done. I am reasonably sure that preparation helps to some degree, at least - and lack of preparation would simply be foolish. There was no second chance back then, either.

As not all applicants who attend ACS find this Site, what do they do? How do they find out about the things for which they should practise? Do recruiting centres provide guidelines to them, or are they left on their own?

Loachman said:
That actually helps? Fascinating.

I went through this long before Algore invented the Internet and nobody prepared, or knew how/what to practice (same as CFAT). We all went in blind. The tests were to determine innate aptitude rather than ability to learn/adapt/prepare. I would be interested to see the results of a study to determine how much of a difference preparation actually makes, were one to be done. I am reasonably sure that preparation helps to some degree, at least - and lack of preparation would simply be foolish. There was no second chance back then, either.

As not all applicants who attend ACS find this Site, what do they do? How do they find out about the things for which they should practise? Do recruiting centres provide guidelines to them, or are they left on their own?

Honestly if they are just sitting on their hands waiting for ACS after putting in their recruiting application, maybe it's not the best job for them. From the time I started my application to the time I got to ACS I was researching, practicing, self testing and learning. Even now prior to PFT, I'm constantly reading about CF Weather, airmanship books (FTGU!), CF Flight Manuals, Aeronautical rules, aeromedical info; anything I can get my hands on. You're not told to do this (well you do get a small inadequate ACS study guide from the BPSO) but most probably come by this site by researching (it's pretty high on the Google Search list). Pre-internet? they probably hit their local library, (again, FTGU, From the Ground Up, has been around since the the mid 70s).

Maybe it helps, I'm certain a few marginal passes would probably have been fails without prep. If anything, showing up prepared gives a certain amount of confidence that allows you to not to feel taken completely by surprise by the difficult tests (ie, I showed up prepared as I could, found the tests very challanging but figured if I was challanged despite my level of preparedness, then that's just the way the test was. Otherwise I probably would have been overcome with hopelessness! LOL)

SupersonicMax said:
A quick tip that always benefited me is that I always study with a distraction in the background (music or TV show) and try to follow along the music/TV show while studying.  It teaches the brain to share attention.

Interesting. I can definitely see how that would benefit the "here's 5 simple tasks, now do them the same time" juggling that goes on!

Pre-flight said:
Honestly if they are just sitting on their hands waiting for ACS after putting in their recruiting application, maybe it's not the best job for them. From the time I started my application to the time I got to ACS I was researching, practicing, self testing and learning. Even now prior to PFT, I'm constantly reading about CF Weather, airmanship books (FTGU!), CF Flight Manuals, Aeronautical rules, aeromedical info; anything I can get my hands on. You're not told to do this (well you do get a small inadequate ACS study guide from the BPSO) but most probably come by this site by researching (it's pretty high on the Google Search list). Pre-internet? they probably hit their local library, (again, FTGU, From the Ground Up, has been around since the the mid 70s).

I'm aware of today's issue study guide. Such did not exist when I did ACS. I've no idea if any of those books were available in any local libraries, which tended to be fairly small in small towns. My application went in around October 1977, I did ACS in early Feb (could have been mid-to-late-Jan) 1978, was enrolled in late Feb 1978, and in Chilliwack for my Basic Officer Training Course a couple of days into March 1978.

All that we were given by the recruiting centres were bus/train/aeroplane tickets to Downsview Airfield (where ACS was at the time; the building is long gone, as is the Conroy Hotel where we all stayed), a claim, and directions regarding dress (jacket and tie; one fellow wore the same bright blue jacket, yellow shirt, red tie, and green trousers every day - he also bit another candidate in the hotel bar one night - and did not pass).

Only one other chap from my bunch showed up in Chilliwack with me, but enough others did.

Back then, one in eight hundred Pilot applicants earned his Wings, or so we were told in Portage. The odds may well be better now, if people are able to prepare better. I do not know for sure, though.

Y'all miss the delights of having sixteen needles jabbed into your scalp and one in each earlobe now, as well. Sad, that.

Pre-flight said:
From the time I started my application to the time I got to ACS I was researching, practicing, self testing and learning.

Same. For the few things you could directly practice, like STD questions, mental math, and reading aircraft '6 pack', I practiced whenever I could, even when completely depleted from the days events. I found the mental exhaustion from the amount of mental arithmetic and study to be beneficial when it came to working out: running, weights, etc. became such a welcomed release from my study that I went on auto-pilot 'hardmode'.

And to be honest, army.ca experiences regarding ACS surely helped my mindset while completing the tests. Before arriving at Trenton, I read many personal accounts of the difficulty of the tests, the mental exhaustion, and no matter how you think you are doing, keep pushing along, dont give up , no matter how bad you think you may be performing.

Loachman said:
I went through this long before Algore invented the Internet and nobody prepared, or knew how/what to practice .
Al Gore invented the Internet? I thought he invented the conspiracy theory known as 'Global Warming'.  ;D

When you went through Loachman, was it just the CAPSS selection system. Was there any other written tests required for pilot selection at ACS?

ridsteram said:
For the successful pilot candidates who were using lumosity and timedistancespeed.info, what was your average question answer time on the time distance speed questions and what was your accuracy? Also what was your average answer time on the time distance fuel questions?
Having recently passed it to become an AEC...you dont have time to look at fast/slow you are going. You just focus on the questions as that can make a difference. Honestly that only 1 of many parts. Make sure you know it and can do it well but most of the tests wont be things you have practiced for

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Loachman said:
I'm aware of today's issue study guide. Such did not exist when I did ACS. I've no idea if any of those books were available in any local libraries, which tended to be fairly small in small towns. My application went in around October 1977, I did ACS in early Feb (could have been mid-to-late-Jan) 1978, was enrolled in late Feb 1978, and in Chilliwack for my Basic Officer Training Course a couple of days into March 1978.

All that we were given by the recruiting centres were bus/train/aeroplane tickets to Downsview Airfield (where ACS was at the time; the building is long gone, as is the Conroy Hotel where we all stayed), a claim, and directions regarding dress (jacket and tie; one fellow wore the same bright blue jacket, yellow shirt, red tie, and green trousers every day - he also bit another candidate in the hotel bar one night - and did not pass).

Only one other chap from my bunch showed up in Chilliwack with me, but enough others did.

Back then, one in eight hundred Pilot applicants earned his Wings, or so we were told in Portage. The odds may well be better now, if people are able to prepare better. I do not know for sure, though.

Y'all miss the delights of having sixteen needles jabbed into your scalp and one in each earlobe now, as well. Sad, that.

I think at that time the ACS pass rate was higher and the PFT pass rate was much lower.

It seems they use the ACS to weed more people before they start the training process, and those that go on to PFT have pass rates in the 80% range  (based on talking to about a half dozen guys that recently passed PFT, that's the pass rates in their classes. Most of the failures are people that weren't really cut out for it mechanically or had other personal issues).

I am heading to Trenton on December 3rd.
I am stoked and prepared to obliterate the ASC.

speeddistancetime.info appears to be down (404 not found), nonetheless I have been doing D/S*T questions for months now (along with lumosity), so I am confident in my capability to succeed.

In terms of physical health, I have never been in better shape in my life, and should I go on to BMOQ early next year, I will be prepared to set course records.  8)

mt.chep said:
I am heading to Trenton on December 3rd.
I am stoked and prepared to obliterate the ASC.

speeddistancetime.info appears to be down (404 not found), nonetheless I have been doing D/S*T questions for months now (along with lumosity), so I am confident in my capability to succeed.

In terms of physical health, I have never been in better shape in my life, and should I go on to BMOQ early next year, I will be prepared to set course records.  8)

Confidence is good. Just remember that the ACS will always overwhelm you. Expect most of the sections you will eventually fail as they get more difficult over time and time is at a premium. The key part is how long you succeed until you failed and how well you are able to be ready for the start of the next section.

I'm going on my phase 1 in a few weeks, but from what I hear on the flight training you need to be prepared to be ripped apart after every flight by the instructor. Don't expect too many pats on the back but take the feedback as a opportunity to improve and don't let it affect you.

Basically confidence is great and it's key, as long as it doesn't hinder your ability to accept and learn from failure.

Confidence yet balanced with humility, I gather.  :nod:

I started doing Speed Distance Time and Fuel Calculations strictly in my head, averaging around 1 minute per question. As of last week, I can do either Speed Distance Time or Fuel Calculations with an average of under 30 seconds per question.

As for lumosity, I do daily training on my iPhone and laptop. My scores are well into the 90th to 99th percentile for my age category. Otherwise, I am not a huge gamer, albeit, the tip on being able to focus while listening to music, or rapidly multi-task is prudent.
I have been studying the history of aviation, and physics, as well.

Thanks for all the tips! I did play a fair amount of War Thunder, and I did find that you had to track a lot of variables and elements, plus also it teaches you proper energy management in planes and working with high-angle aspects. Hopefully that helps with the multitasking element.

I guess I'll do more of that then, I have been solely focusing on studying for high school and the DST calcs + ground school through cadets. Luckily I currently have a 100% average in Ground school! :D

I'm still in the application pipeline, but did went through ACS not too long ago. I come from a quantitative background, so I was able to get by on just a couple of days of doing DST practice - but I will say it does get better with practice no matter how good you are at arithmetic. You just need to get some practice to make the thinking process more efficient. I didn't do any of the luminosity or other little games people say to prepare, and in retrospect I can kind of see how it might help but it's pretty marginal at best. A lot of the tests will simply test your pure aptitude to memorize and process information as it's thrown at you.

With that said, my thought on this is don't think the prep is going to make the test feel easier. You certainly might do better, but it won't make it feel easier. I'm not trying to toot my own horn here but I was told after the ACS by the PSO that I did well above average in all categories and "exceptionally" in the quantitative part. But when I was doing the actual test, I thought it was one of the hardest tests I had ever done (I've never felt so overwhelmed by any university exam that I can remember), and there definitely were moments during the two days that I thought I would fail out.

Carf said:
I'm not trying to toot my own horn here but I was told after the ACS by the PSO that I did well above average in all categories and "exceptionally" in the quantitative part. But when I was doing the actual test, I thought it was one of the hardest tests I had ever done (I've never felt so overwhelmed by any university exam that I can remember), and there definitely were moments during the two days that I thought I would fail out.

This is probably THE key piece of info I'd pass on to anyone looking to do the ACS. Each part takes probably 15 minutes and gets more and more challenging until it ends. Essentially everyone will get overwhelmed and fail as the section approaches the end. If you feel like you are sinking towards the end of each section, do not let it bother you. That's normal. All that matters is how long you were able to succeed until you were overwhelmed, and how well you can start the next part. Don't let stress carry from the end of one section to the next, you are probably doing better than you think.
(I spent the time in between parts bargaining with myself "I'm sure I'll enjoy ACSO or AEC just as much" or "Well there's plenty of decent trades in the army" or eventually "Well I heard McDonalds is still hiring")

Pre-flight said:
This is probably THE key piece of info I'd pass on to anyone looking to do the ACS. Each part takes probably 15 minutes and gets more and more challenging until it ends. Essentially everyone will get overwhelmed and fail as the section approaches the end. If you feel like you are sinking towards the end of each section, do not let it bother you. That's normal. All that matters is how long you were able to succeed until you were overwhelmed, and how well you can start the next part. Don't let stress carry from the end of one section to the next, you are probably doing better than you think.
(I spent the time in between parts bargaining with myself "I'm sure I'll enjoy ACSO or AEC just as much" or "Well there's plenty of decent trades in the army" or eventually "Well I heard McDonalds is still hiring")

I think this is easier for those who aren't looking at PLT/ACSO/AEC as the big crucial life move. Whenever I started to feel stressed out by the test, I just thought to myself "What's the worst that could happen? I go back to my cushy office gig". But if you go into the ACS as a make it or break it kinda thing, probably not gonna have even a worse time than usual

Back