• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Aircrew Selection/ACS (Merged)

xCal said:
I wrote aircrew selection last week...

Hey xCal. Congrats on the pass. Interested to know the pass rate for your group (ie. number of people sitting versus successful applicants).

xCal said:
Hey AliTheAce!

I wrote aircrew selection last week and just wanted to give you a heads up on some things. The SDT that you've been doing should help a lot, I tried to aim to get 9/10 right each time and average 10-15s per question. As the flight sim goes I didn't use a flight sim at all and I passed for all 3 occupations so I'm not really sure how much of a help that would be. Although with that being said, anything that would help your multi-tasking and hand-eye coordination can't hurt. Other than that I would just say be well rested and enjoy your time in Trenton!

Hey, congratulations mate! Best of luck with BMOQ and Phase 1 PFT!

Guess I'll just keep doing basic mental math and some more spatial reasoning.

I don't think this violates the NDA that you sign, but for the math questions how many digits did you have to simultaneously multiply/divide, and how many decimals? Would they be around the difficulty of 26 x 80 or 1345 x 986? 

I've been to Trenton 3 years in a row for around 6-7 weeks each for various cadet summer courses, and I must say it's like my home away from home. Love the community there, lots of wonderful people and familiar location, so I guess it shouldn't be that different, even though the CFASC is on the opposite side from the cadet training center.

Does this include the score we receive at the end by the selection officer? Are we not allowed to share this piece of information in a public forum?

I imagine by score you mean results since they dont give out the exact score. That is fine to give out.

Also for op and other readers. The tests are on both days are equally as important. They devide the tests in 2 days on purpose. ...most of the sections are also split in 2 days....

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

AliTheAce said:

I don't think this violates the NDA that you sign, but for the math questions how many digits did you have to simultaneously multiply/divide, and how many decimals? Would they be around the difficulty of 26 x 80 or 1345 x 986? 

I've been to Trenton 3 years in a row for around 6-7 weeks each for various cadet summer courses, and I must say it's like my home away from home. Love the community there, lots of wonderful people and familiar location, so I guess it shouldn't be that different, even though the CFASC is on the opposite side from the cadet training center.
There is a candidate guide which you should have gotten. http://rcaf-arc.forces.gc.ca/en/cf-aircrew-selection-centre/candidate-guide.page

It has an example of questions.

Dont forget the test is meant for raw aptitude. Although its good to brush up on math as some candidates would be comming out of school, they know that we cant prepare too much for it and much is a surprise. The reason for the test is because too many people failed pilot training. They just dont want to waste yours and their time.

Even if you get in the CAF and you start getting trained you can still fail pilot training. Although its less high now it is still pretty high. The test is meant to reduce that by judging raw ability.

I think you practiced a lot, just continue to refresh and dont stress about it. Enjoy your time there and have fun and a great outlook. When you go take the test just do it and no matter how bad you did or think you did just continue. :)

gabzo said:
There is a candidate guide which you should have gotten. http://rcaf-arc.forces.gc.ca/en/cf-aircrew-selection-centre/candidate-guide.page

It has an example of questions.

Dont forget the test is meant for raw aptitude. Although its good to brush up on math as some candidates would be comming out of school, they know that we cant prepare too much for it and much is a surprise. The reason for the test is because too many people failed pilot training. They just dont want to waste yours and their time.

Even if you get in the CAF and you start getting trained you can still fail pilot training. Although its less high now it is still pretty high. The test is meant to reduce that by judging raw ability.

I think you practiced a lot, just continue to refresh and dont stress about it. Enjoy your time there and have fun and a great outlook. When you go take the test just do it and no matter how bad you did or think you did just continue. :)

Thanks for the outlook!

Thing is, I'm not even eligible to apply yet, haha. Still haven't received my citizenship so while I'm waiting for that I'm just brushing up on certain skills.

I'm just extremely eager to get any kind of edge possible, as I have been looking forward to this my entire life. Sure, it measures raw ability, but I firmly believe that you can improve even your raw ability by practice, so that should definitely improve my score :0)

I've read the study package over multiple times, but I don't like how it says "you do not need to prepare for this test"

If I do my best to prepare then I would have no excuses whatsoever if I don't pass, because I did everything in my power to prepare. Just for peace of mind alone, I think it's worth spending time to practice

gabzo said:
I imagine by score you mean results since they dont give out the exact score. That is fine to give out.

When you get called at the end and sat down for your results, in my case, they gave me a specific number. He then went over the results and indicated my percentile in the different domains. In the candidate results page they give to you, it gives a pass or fail beside the three occupations. There is no written number or percentile standing as discussed in the debrief. Anyhow, its not important to the preparation of future candidates.
Not to sound chessy, but it is the most important and memorable result I have ever achieved academically, the 2nd of which is a finance midterm in Uni where I scored a 4.0 and the class average was a fail. Not sure if its connected, but I suddenly got invited to alot of different study groups after that result  ;D.

AliTheAce said:
Thanks for the outlook!

Thing is, I'm not even eligible to apply yet, haha. Still haven't received my citizenship so while I'm waiting for that I'm just brushing up on certain skills.

I'm just extremely eager to get any kind of edge possible, as I have been looking forward to this my entire life. Sure, it measures raw ability, but I firmly believe that you can improve even your raw ability by practice, so that should definitely improve my score :0)

I've read the study package over multiple times, but I don't like how it says "you do not need to prepare for this test"

And then I would have no excuses whatsoever if I don't pass, because I did everything in my power to prepare.
Honestly i wouldnt worry.

And although you can always get better in some things (not all) if you know exactly how to practice for a test...and then get a better score but you fail pilot training then it does a huge disservice. You might even have to do another trade in the CAF you night not have initially wanted.

I think your equiped with all you need and the rest is about going there when needed.

Also dont forget that its so far away, the test might do a 180...and be different series of tests

@roger nice, weird you got an exact number but pretty cool. Just passing it changed my outlook. I just cant call myself stupid anymore. Instead I say others are smart too but anyone who passes that is not stupid

gabzo said:
Also dont forget that its so far away, the test might do a 180...and be different series of tests
Dont think the test will change much in the next 10 years. Its only been implemented for selection purposes since 2013. When the RAF in the UK do away with it, then the RCAF may follow suit. I do think that AEC test candidates will have a series of additional tests to perform though, from my experience in Trenton.

Roger123 said:
Dont think the test will change much in the next 10 years. Its only been implemented for selection purposes since 2013. When the RAF in the UK do away with it, then the RCAF may follow suit. I do think that AEC test candidates will have a series of additional tests to perform though, from my experience in Trenton.
Im not worried of them removing the tests.

That being said the tests could change is all im saying

Roger123 said:
Hey xCal. Congrats on the pass. Interested to know the pass rate for your group (ie. number of people sitting versus successful applicants).

Thanks! I wrote it with 19 other people and I believe (not 100% sure) that 3 of us passed for pilot. It's not easy, but definitely do-able.

AliTheAce said:

When it comes to multiplication and division I think the best advice I can give is don't focus as much on complexity as you do speed and accuracy. Also I don't remember many decimals.

xCal said:
When it comes to multiplication and division I think the best advice I can give is don't focus as much on complexity as you do speed and accuracy. Also I don't remember many decimals.

Exactly what I was looking for, thank you once again!

Wish you best of luck with BMOQ and PFT :)

Doing really poorly in the spatial reasoning section of the CFAT practice app, mainly visualizing how the cube faces relate to each other when folded/unfolded. I get around 60-70% of them right.

I realize that cube folding is not part of the ACSbut it would help improve the spatial reasoning scores. Anything that can help me visualize better?

AliTheAce said:
Doing really poorly in the spatial reasoning section of the CFAT practice app, mainly visualizing how the cube faces relate to each other when folded/unfolded. I get around 60-70% of them right.

I realize that cube folding is not part of the ACSbut it would help improve the spatial reasoning scores. Anything that can help me visualize better?

All I can really suggest is lots and lots of practice, I think its one of those things that you're either good at or you're not. You can't really learn spatial reasoning.

@alitheace

If you dont meet the minimum cut off then there is not much you can do to improve it. One of those things you have or you don't.

Just came back from Trenton earlier today, managed to get in for pilot.

Honestly I went in practicing math, hand eye, tracking targets, spatial reasoning, multitasking etc etc etc. It didn't help at all. I'm not trying to spook ya, but the tests are whatever is on the candidate guide but on steroids and some new experimental stuff. USE that guide, make sure you understand what each screen is likely trying to ask you. Mental arithmetic is probably the only thing that is worth studying imo.

it's been said countless times throughout this thread but It can't be stressed enough, you will feel like you are failing constantly. I was in a group of 20, everyone except 1 girl thought they were legitimately failing. Of the 20, 8 passed for pilot and 2 who did not apply for pilot, passed their chosen profession bench marks. so that's a 50% pass rate. Only 1 person believed they were doing well, to be fair she passed for pilot so props to her confidence. I thought I failed every question on one section, winds up I ended up doing the best in that section.

If you want to be a pilot then you have to be able to push through failure, don't slow down, don't give up, don't hesitate on the test, if you failed an entire section, press on and stay in the now. It's a brutal test but it was fun as hell.

Thank you for the words of advice, that's something I hear very frequently skimming ACS threads.

I'm hoping that I can pull it off in the future when I'm at that stage. But for now, I'll try to stay mentally sharp.

First and foremost, congratulations to those of you who recently passed ACS.

I am hoping that one of the recent graduates of ACS can comment on whether or not speeddistancetime.info provides a good sample set of what’s to come. Are the questions on this website harder, or easier than those questions found on the CFASC test? Can we expect 3-4 digit questions (ie. 369NM @ 615KTS)?

Thanks.

Welcome to Army.ca

Have you read through this thread? If not, do so.

Start reading through the other relevant threads on this Site as well. There's a ton of useful info laid out like a banquet of knowledge.

Back