• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Aircrew Selection/ACS (Merged)

Thanks for the response.

Read the post I quoted. A case was made against people seeking more information than what's provided. Some disagree for various reasons.  I cannot speak from a training perspective; only a recruiting/applicant one.  Had I taken the first word provided to me years ago I would not be as fortunate as I am today. 

Now I'm really confused.  Too much wine last night I guess.....

SF2 said:
Now I'm really confused.  Too much wine last night I guess.....

No problem. When you unwind, read the post I quoted and the responses that followed.

Have a great weekend :)

skyhigh10 said:
Thanks for the response.

Read the post I quoted. A case was made against people seeking more information than what's provided. Some disagree for various reasons.  I cannot speak from a training perspective; only a recruiting/applicant one.  Had I taken the first word provided to me years ago I would not be as fortunate as I am today.

Sure, in many situations it's obviously a good idea to get as much information as possible about a given subject. What good officer wouldn't do that? My point was for things like aircrew selection and the rest of your training up until wings, there is truly no point in doing that. Like SF2 said, everything in the training/testing environment is extremely directive. You are shown exactly how to do things (often very complicated things, mind you) and it is very, very clear what you need to know and where you can find that information. And the instructors are EXTREMELY good at tailoring their teaching style to the learning style of the individual. Anything else you try and cram into your skull is a bonus, I guess, but if you're anything like me that extra info will end up diluting the things you're actually expected to know.

Anyway, my main point was that you won't find any super secret pro-tips from anyone on an online forum for aircrew selection success. Only extra stuff to think about and do that will take your attention away from zoning in on what you're actually supposed to be doing. Work smart, not hard.

skyhigh10 said:
No problem. When you unwind, read the post I quoted and the responses that followed.

Have a great weekend :)

will do

lstpierre said:
Sure, in many situations it's obviously a good idea to get as much information as possible about a given subject. What good officer wouldn't do that? My point was for things like aircrew selection and the rest of your training up until wings, there is truly no point in doing that. Like SF2 said, everything in the training/testing environment is extremely directive. You are shown exactly how to do things (often very complicated things, mind you) and it is very, very clear what you need to know and where you can find that information. And the instructors are EXTREMELY good at tailoring their teaching style to the learning style of the individual. Anything else you try and cram into your skull is a bonus, I guess, but if you're anything like me that extra info will end up diluting the things you're actually expected to know.

Anyway, my main point was that you won't find any super secret pro-tips from anyone on an online forum for aircrew selection success. Only extra stuff to think about and do that will take your attention away from zoning in on what you're actually supposed to be doing. Work smart, not hard.

Thank you for clarifying. :) I understand what you're saying and I will most definitely keep it in mind !

no, i am 100% sure that the pilot testing is on monday-wednesday, and the AEC testing is on thursday. will i have an advantage if i go for the pilot testing, then get to write the AEC test on thursday

also, is the AEC testing hard

Well, I don't know where you're getting your information. But the 4 hours of AEC testing I did on the Monday first thing in the morning was for ... AEC. You get your results on the Wednesday.

Ok i have my joining instructions/schedule right in front of me

Monday Feb  25 2013 - Wednesday Feb 27 2013 Pilot testing

Thursday Feb 28 2013 AEC
All candidates for AEC testing will report at 0740 on Thursday morning, the tests for AEC will finish by 1200.

Guys,

The monday morning test is for both AEC and Pilot. You had a part in it that test you for you skills for Pilot and another one for AEC. They dont told you in which part you are, if I remember correctly they mix the test but you will know when you do something that is more concentrated for AEC trade.

eggert said:
Ok i have my joining instructions/schedule right in front of me

Monday Feb  25 2013 - Wednesday Feb 27 2013 Pilot testing

Thursday Feb 28 2013 AEC
All candidates for AEC testing will report at 0740 on Thursday morning, the tests for AEC will finish by 1200.

Then follow those instructions! I was obviously misinformed or I personally did not understand my week.

Here's what I THINK MIGHT be happening here. Please don't quote me on this, and stick to your provided instructions!

All pilots get tested for AEC on Mon morning, regardless if AEC was one of their choices or not. Then pilots proceed to get tested for Pilot on Mon-Wed. But if you are an AEC only, my understanding is that you arrive later in the week and get tested separately on Thursday. Because you've listed both trades, maybe you're in some kind of a combined schedule now. Perhaps you won't get tested for AEC on Monday, like all other Pilot candidates will. Or perhaps you will, and they will let you go on Thursday.

If I had to guess, it would be logical to test you for AEC on Monday along with everyone else. In that case, if you don't go through for AEC, you have a chance to get Pilot in the next couple of days and be sent to Toronto in time for your Thu-Fri medical. But if you pass Pilot on Mon-Wed and then fail your first choice (AEC) on Thu, you will miss that Pilot medical because of unfortunate scheduling. I'm putting my money on the scenario that you will get tested for AEC and Pilot following the exact same schedule as pilot candidates.

Again, I'm just thinking out loud here. Your best bet is to schedule your whole week off, arrive to Trenton on Sunday night, and follow all instructions, starting from your Welcome package and then from your instructors. If your instructors tell you to do the AEC test on Thu, I would tell them: "If I pass for Pilot on Mon-Wed but fail for AEC on Thu, I will have missed my chance to do the Pilot medical on Thu-Fri in Toronto. Please advise."

Good luck.

can anyone give me an example of what to wear the first 3 days of Aircrew selection centre?

Shirt and tie? dress shoes?

I dont understand the joining instructioins!

eggert said:
can anyone give me an example of what to wear the first 3 days of Aircrew selection centre?

Dress like you would to an office - business casual. No tie or super dressy clothes required. But maybe black/brown shoes, dress pants or maybe even chinos, and a buttoned shirt or a polo shirt. That was the average look of candidates when I was there. I believe anything can be worn after 5 pm.

eggert said:

All candidates, regardless of entry plan, will wear casual, civilian dress.  No denim jeans,T-shirts, shorts, running shoes or sandals
Doesn't sound like a tie is required...
No tie or super dressy clothes required. But maybe black/brown shoes, dress pants or maybe even chinos, and a buttoned shirt or a polo shirt.
eggert said:
what is casual clothing? dress clothes?) nice t shirt ?

I think the fashion requirements will be the least of your troubles.    :facepalm:

Journeyman said:
I think the fashion requirements will be the least of your troubles.    :facepalm:

Quoted for truth. Wear a buttonned shirt and you'll forget you even have it on. Make sure you have good body deodorant too; you'll sweat in CAPSS because of the stress.
Good luck.

does each province have a number of ROTP applications they are giving offers to or is there just one big number canada-wide? for instance, FOR AEC would they have one number of how many people they are going to give ROTP offers to, or would each province have there own number of AEC applicatnts they are giving ROTP offers too?

From what I've heard, they use your standard of dress to determine what airframe you get assigned.

CF-18 Pilot:

crybaby.png

CH-146 Pilot:

200px-Indiana_Jones_in_Raiders_of_the_Lost_Ark.jpg

Aurora Pilot:

tumblr_m60gmj4j1Y1ryux4qo1_400.jpg

Back