• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Aircrew Selection/ACS (Merged)

Noctis said:
What about guys flying the control tower?

Something like this:

poindexter_award.jpg

if you already have your interview,medical done and go to ASC and fail for pilot, then switch your trade choice from pilot to LOG officer , do you have to do another interview for LOG O since it wasnt one of your trade choices during your original interview?

eggert said:
if you already have your interview,medical done and go to ASC and fail for pilot, then switch your trade choice from pilot to LOG officer , do you have to do another interview for LOG O since it wasnt one of your trade choices during your original interview?

Yes.  They will usually just do it over the phone.

Edit: Source: Personal experience.

I do not know for sure, but I'd say there is no guarantee that the update interview will be over the phone like it was for Noctis. There is probably a good chance you will have to come in. And yes, you will have to do an update interview. You will also have to do the newly implemented personality questionnaire, if you haven't done it previously. I was also told at the CFRC recently that the interview format has changed. Your best bet, as always, is to contact your CFRC.

dapaterson said:
Something like this:

poindexter_award.jpg

That's pretty obviously a navigator ("ACSO" for the new guys).

ATCs are more like a disembodied voice, which I think is in principle hard to represent via picture...

To those who have been around for the past 10 years, 

When did the CF last hire this many pilots?

skyhigh10 said:
To those who have been around for the past 10 years, 

When did the CF last hire this many pilots?

What leads you to believe that they are hiring more pilots this year than in the past?

It is not unusual at all for the CFASC to be running selection serials nearly every week of the year.  In fact, it is normal for them to be running selections for ~40 weeks out of the year.  Assuming that the average cohort is around 6 pers per week, and about 50% of those that attend pass (.7 is a pass score, mean score of .527 with a standard deviation of .308 for the last unclassified source I read, but with a limited sample), that means that about 120 people will pass Aircrew Selection each year... and they aren't all given offers.  Also, that 120 is divided between internal selection, ROTP, DEO, and CEOTP.

So how many pilots do you think they're hiring this year?  Doesn't sound like any more than normal to me...

Griffon said:
What leads you to believe that they are hiring more pilots this year than in the past?

It is not unusual at all for the CFASC to be running selection serials nearly every week of the year.  In fact, it is normal for them to be running selections for ~40 weeks out of the year.  Assuming that the average cohort is around 6 pers per week, and about 50% of those that attend pass (.7 is a pass score, mean score of .527 with a standard deviation of .308 for the last unclassified source I read, but with a limited sample), that means that about 120 people will pass Aircrew Selection each year... and they aren't all given offers.  Also, that 120 is divided between internal selection, ROTP, DEO, and CEOTP.

So how many pilots do you think they're hiring this year?  Doesn't sound like any more than normal to me...

Would you by any chance have 2009 or 2010 #s on hand? 

I understand what you wrote and it makes perfect sense. But in past years, weren't there times when very few if any pilots were hired?  If there are no jobs for pilots why would they run ACS courses and hire people?

Those in recruiting seem to also have changed their tone a bit!

Sorry, but I currently don't have access to the actual numbers, but IIRC they were about 120-130 per year across all intake plans. I can tell you that the pilot occupation has been short for quite a few years, but they aren't increasing recruiting substantially because the training pipeline can't handle much more.

Hope that helps.

Griffon said:
Sorry, but I currently don't have access to the actual numbers, but IIRC they were about 120-130 per year across all intake plans. I can tell you that the pilot occupation has been short for quite a few years, but they aren't increasing recruiting substantially because the training pipeline can't handle much more.

Hope that helps.

100% 

Thanks!

Griffon said:

I was under the impression pilot was closed to DEO applicants the past few years. I asked about it at the recruiting centre in 2010 and 2011 and was told it was closed to anyone that didn't have flying experience. I got the impression that recruiter was BSing me though. Anyway, when I started my application in March 2012 the recruiters told me my chances were good because they were hiring more pilots than any other year before, 80 DEO was the number they gave.

I have recently been selected for the ASC in Trenton for pilot for the 2013 UTP program. Its  been relatively a short, but very much welcomed notice and I have managed to acquire the blue study guide which seems straight forward.  With that being said , my quick two week notice(crse starts for me in a few days) leaves me without any insight or clarity on the aptitude/computer based testing portion at the ASC. Any takers on the whole process/testing? Cheers!

jmkh81 said:
I have recently been selected for the ASC in Trenton for pilot for the 2013 UTP program. Its  been relatively a short, but very much welcomed notice and I have managed to acquire the blue study guide which seems straight forward.  With that being said , my quick two week notice(crse starts for me in a few days) leaves me without any insight or clarity on the aptitude/computer based testing portion at the ASC. Any takers on the whole process/testing? Cheers!

Brush up on your hand written math skills . Be at your best.  If this means leaving redbull out for one morning , do it. 

Back