• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Aircrew Selection/ACS (Merged)

Thanks Gunshark, your words bear more weight to me than anyone else here on the forum, as I know of your first-hand experience. I'll keep your words in mind when I leave on Sunday. Failing wouldn't be the end of the world too, heck I guess if I fail it's probably for the best.
Not that I intend to, though  :p
I'll just give it my best, or die trying  :threat:

:cdn:

Last piece of advice: Don't let anything get you down. If you screw up one thing, learn from it, and improve right away, don't start thinking "oh no, that's it, I'm screwed". If you crash, just do the routine better next time. People crash and still succeed. Remove all emotion, seriously.

Maybe what will help you calm down is that many, MANY, before you have not gone through, while you are still fortunate to have this opportunity to have a first go at it. The flip side of the coin is that if you don't succeed, you will by far not be alone. After my failure in Trenton, I gained great appreciation for guys who have returned to try again. It speaks volumes about dedication, and it's inspirational. My personal road towards PPL starts next week.

Oh and I forgot to say - Best of luck! ;D It will be one of the coolest weeks of your life, guaranteed, regardless of the outcome. Have a blast!

Thanks again Gunshark, I'll do the absolute best I can to focus on the task at hand, emotionless. Solid advice right there. Got to keep my focus and stay cool!

Gunsharks advice was spot on.

Few points:  Your time will be spent with others attending the selection. You will hear lots of discussion both positive and negative. Filter out the negative and focus on the positive. You have the power to succeed. Keep your ears open as there may be a pointer which can help you....or screw you. You will hear many different discussions aimed at trying to figure out how the CAPSS chooses successful candidates. I was told to ignore it. Fluently understand that it comes down to you and the testing device. Strive to FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS as closely as possible. If you think you know a better way, they suggest you don't do it. The instructions almost seem common sense based. Go through it in your head in full before pressing the green button as stated by other users. Strive to do what is asked of you. The staff are phenomenal. They give pointers and go above and beyond as far as i'm concerned. As they state on day one "do NOT allow one bad maneuver or session affect your next session or performance" . Keep in mind they will not divulge how the system measures your performance so there is no point in asking. When the session is done; reflect, eat, and have some fun and prepare for your next session. 

Keep in mind  some with a Commercial Pilots License are unsuccessful.  Being in a mental state of calmness alongside following instructions can ensure success. I use to be very uptight when it came to my chosen career endeavor. Every major recruiting hurtle made one feel super ill, the be all to end all! Learning to restrain the emotion and perform knowing deep down that you've done your best is something that will make the process a whole lot easier. You will be stressed, so do your best.

I knew deep down I did my absolute best and had prepared for years to be given this opportunity.  I succeeded.

Herein lies a problem with the age of information we now live in.  When I went to ACS in 1994, there was no such thing as internet and online forums.  I had no access to anecdotal info or study guides.  I had no idea what I was getting into when I went for selection. 

Some people on here want so much information they get to the point of diminishing returns - they psych themselves out before they even set foot on the bus.

You don't need to know everything to pass selection.  You don't need to know ANYTHING to pass selection.  You need to go with an open mind and an ear for attention to detail.  That's it!! (and a bit of luck).

Just got back from ASC (Feb 4-8), and I have to agree with SF2, don't worry too much about it; just go and do exactly as the machine (CAPSS) tells you and try not to think too much. The stress is the only thing you need to deal with really.

My experience didn't go so well. 4/13 passed. I failed. Oh well. CAPSS is tough up until session 4.  Session 4 is just insane.
On a positive note, I freaked out the selections officer with my AEC score (supposedly the best score ever! :)). AEC is actually an interesting career to consider. Lots of different posting options, and lots of different fields of specialization.

For you guys coming back home and checking the forum, this is Kev, shoot me a PM if you want to chat.

For those of you heading off to Trenton, you'll really enjoy your experience (asides from the stress). The accommodations are great, everyone is friendly, it's awesome! Totally made me know I really want to be in the Forces, I loved the base. Oh, make sure you bring some form of entertainment too. Lots of downtime.

There's a test for AEC? When I did ASC in 2009, the only two tests were for Pilot and ACSO.

SF2 said:
Herein lies a problem with the age of information we now live in.  When I went to ACS in 1994, there was no such thing as internet and online forums.  I had no access to anecdotal info or study guides.  I had no idea what I was getting into when I went for selection. 

Some people on here want so much information they get to the point of diminishing returns - they psych themselves out before they even set foot on the bus.

You don't need to know everything to pass selection.  You don't need to know ANYTHING to pass selection.  You need to go with an open mind and an ear for attention to detail.  That's it!! (and a bit of luck).

This is true.

Enjoying it helps a bunch as well.

SF2 said:

As much as I agree with you, additional information can be used to ones advantage. Though I do agree that there needs to be a bit of a filter and open mind as indicated by you and countless others.

Skydiv3r said:
There's a test for AEC? When I did ASC in 2009, the only two tests were for Pilot and ACSO.

We started off Monday with AEC testing.  We did not do any ACSO tests.  I've since changed my trade choices and will have to get the ACSO test done soon at my local CFRC.

skyhigh10 said:
As much as I agree with you, additional information can be used to ones advantage. Though I do agree that there needs to be a bit of a filter and open mind as indicated by you and countless others.

I'll second this. It's important to not overthink it and just do your best, relying on your own ability, understanding, focus, coordination, etc. This is the most important thing. However, with the wealth of good information (not all of it) available to us in this day and age, there is no good reason not to try to benefit from it. Doing your research is part of the "giving it your best shot" process. Also, I have a small feeling that for guys who have gone through this selection with no info available at the time and that happened to do very well, it is probably a little easier to say "you don't need to know anything". But the reality is that odds of passing are not very good, for anyone. These days passing rates are as low as 30%. Judging from my personal experience, having failed CAPSS, I can say that I came back from it wishing I had actually flown planes and simulators for many hours prior to the test. It may not have given me the direct skill of controlling the sensitive CAPSS, but it would probably have given me the skill of being more comfortable/familiar with the cross-check and the controls, so that I could focus more of my attention to the unique challenges of CAPSS that you don't find in a Cessna. If nothing else, extra flight hours under my belt would have probably been a positive fun experience. In other words, I should have probably spent more hours on what was advised on this forum, to give myself a better chance. So, if you're able to approach your research reasonably and not stress yourself out to the point of losing your hair, why not take advantage of the info that folks here so generously share? :2c:

Noctis said:
We started off Monday with AEC testing.  We did not do any ACSO tests.  I've since changed my trade choices and will have to get the ACSO test done soon at my local CFRC.

Any info you can share about the AEC testing?

Not much you can prepare for except maybe reviewing high school arithmetics.  It's multi-tasking and stuff. 3 hours of computer tests that test various innate skills.

Gunshark said:
I'll second this. It's important to not overthink it and just do your best, relying on your own ability, understanding, focus, coordination, etc. This is the most important thing. However, with the wealth of good information (not all of it) available to us in this day and age, there is no good reason not to try to benefit from it. Doing your research is part of the "giving it your best shot" process. Also, I have a small feeling that for guys who have gone through this selection with no info available at the time and that happened to do very well, it is probably a little easier to say "you don't need to know anything". But the reality is that odds of passing are not very good, for anyone. These days passing rates are as low as 30%. Judging from my personal experience, having failed CAPSS, I can say that I came back from it wishing I had actually flown planes and simulators for many hours prior to the test. It may not have given me the direct skill of controlling the sensitive CAPSS, but it would probably have given me the skill of being more comfortable/familiar with the cross-check and the controls, so that I could focus more of my attention to the unique challenges of CAPSS that you don't find in a Cessna. If nothing else, extra flight hours under my belt would have probably been a positive fun experience. In other words, I should have probably spent more hours on what was advised on this forum, to give myself a better chance. So, if you're able to approach your research reasonably and not stress yourself out to the point of losing your hair, why not take advantage of the info that folks here so generously share? :2c:

This kind of mindset is what I have witnessed with countless pilot trainee struggles in my training so far (myself included). I am about 4 months away from wings and if there is one thing I've learned about succeeding in the military environment, it's just learn what you are told to learn, when you are told to learn it. Nothing more. The training I have received has been extremely intense, but also extremely refined. It was built that way. There are no secret little tricks, and for the most part any extracurriculars you use will ultimately end up saturating your already full brain and cannibalizing the tried, tested, and true teaching/learning techniques the military uses. You can sit in a sim before CAPPS if it makes you feel better, but it won't do much more than that. I came from a civi background before this, and the things the military looks for are completely different from anything the guy at your local flight school will be able to teach you in a couple of sim sessions. You will develop a half-baked IFR scan that will make you miss things that you otherwise would have caught by just scanning the CAPPS instruments in a way that is natural to you. Trust me, the system works.

Point taken. Thank you for that different perspective. Definitely will think about that.

going to ASC on 25 Feb. first choice is AEC, second choice pilot, my pilot testing is on monday-wed and AEC testing is thursday morning. Since i am going up for both, if i do the pilot session on monday-wednesday and fail the AEC portion that they give you for PILOT does that mean i will not be able to do the actual AEC testing on thursday?

any tips would be awesome!

I was under the impression that the computer test that pilot candidates do on Mondayfully covers the AEC component. Because at the end of aircrew selection, some pilot candidates are told they meet the standard for AEC, even if it wasn't one of their trade choices. I was one of those guys, AEC not listed as one of my trades. So if I've already met the AEC standard, it doesn't make sense to me that they'd put me through another test on Thursday. Anyway, just brainstorming here, don't rely on this. Someone who had both Pilot and AEC as their trade choices should be able to answer this question better.

Pilots and AEC candidates do the AEC test together at the same time, and I don't think it is possible that the AEC test will be on Thursday since the pilots who passed the CAPSS will be in Downsview for their Air Factor.

The AEC test is on Monday morning and they will give you your result on Wednesday right after you finish the pilot's last test.

lstpierre said:
This kind of mindset is what I have witnessed with countless pilot trainee struggles in my training so far (myself included). I am about 4 months away from wings and if there is one thing I've learned about succeeding in the military environment, it's just learn what you are told to learn, when you are told to learn it. Nothing more. The training I have received has been extremely intense, but also extremely refined. It was built that way. There are no secret little tricks, and for the most part any extracurriculars you use will ultimately end up saturating your already full brain and cannibalizing the tried, tested, and true teaching/learning techniques the military uses. You can sit in a sim before CAPPS if it makes you feel better, but it won't do much more than that. I came from a civi background before this, and the things the military looks for are completely different from anything the guy at your local flight school will be able to teach you in a couple of sim sessions. You will develop a half-baked IFR scan that will make you miss things that you otherwise would have caught by just scanning the CAPPS instruments in a way that is natural to you. Trust me, the system works.

Hey Lstpierre,

Forgive me for my questions if they come off as naive.

Most of us have no doubt that the system works. The topic raised above had to do with investigating (or not investigating?)  further into a given topic for the potential benefit of a candidate. I agree that it may in fact be unwise to read memoirs of every single WWI and II flying ace while trying to succeed in BFT. Reading these forums for some time, I cannot recall how many times I've read  "you're expect to know...."  So , how do you personally flick the switch on and off? If I stated to a superior or instructor that I didn't know something because I "wasn't specifically told to learn that" , would I not get chewed out? (assuming it was common sense based and not a specific learning objective). Don't you naturally just ask questions and try to learn via the syllabus and compare your performance with the standards and so on? Do you ask questions where the answer could very well impact you and your career?

Gunshark said:
I was under the impression that the computer test that pilot candidates do on Mondayfully covers the AEC component. Because at the end of aircrew selection, some pilot candidates are told they meet the standard for AEC, even if it wasn't one of their trade choices. I was one of those guys, AEC not listed as one of my trades. So if I've already met the AEC standard, it doesn't make sense to me that they'd put me through another test on Thursday. Anyway, just brainstorming here, don't rely on this. Someone who had both Pilot and AEC as their trade choices should be able to answer this question better.

I was under the same impression.

^^^ that was a pretty convoluted question, but.....

If you pass ASC and end up in Portage and/or Moose Jaw, its not common sense learning.  It is very directed learning i.e - For ALP 1, you must know the following things and be able to complete the following objectives to certain performance level.  It is very specific.

Its not "You will learn how to fly a loop".  It is "you will learn to achieve XXX knots at a minimum altitude of XXX and commence a XXX G pull up to XXX degrees nose up at which point you relax G to XXX and so on....."

There is never a doubt what you must know.  Every parameter is published, and you are expected to know all the parameters.

Back