• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

After BMQ - PAT [Merged]

CDN Aviator said:
Not everyone in the CF lives by block leave. There are entire CF units that do not get to shut down because it is summer or because it is Christmas time.

My unit doesnt "Shut Down" Either. Simply has alot of people on leave at the same time.

1) When you're waiting to go on course, are you required to live in barracks, or are you permitted to live off-base with a SO? I understand during training that SOs have no place to live with you until after you get posted (and even then, that depends on marriage/common-law).

2) Moving from infantry to med tech, out of pure curiosity, will there be much kit to give back to stores, or since they'll both be army trades the kit will be the same?

Thank you in advance for the help.

You are not guaranteed to stay army when switching from Infantry to Med Tech. Med Tech is a purple trade, so it can be any element.  I know of one infanteer who is now an Air Force medic and another who was armoured and is now navy. Depends on what the military needs. In the past I was told the military likes to have 60% army, 20% air and 20% navy. These percentages may have changed in the last few years.

On Pat Platoon, if you do not wish to live in shacks, you can write a memo through your CoC requesting permission to live off base. Again, no guarantees. You may still be required to maintain a bed space in the shacks for inspections etc. You can also apply to do OJT/OJE at your home city if there is a base nearby. I was lucky enough to get to go home during 6 of the 9 month wait for my course. Others filled their time doing driver wheel courses and being patients for the med students.

Hope that answers some of your questions.

sarahsmom said:
You are not guaranteed to stay army when switching from Infantry to Med Tech. Med Tech is a purple trade, so it can be any element.  I know of one infanteer who is now an Air Force medic and another who was armoured and is now navy. Depends on what the military needs. In the past I was told the military likes to have 60% army, 20% air and 20% navy. These percentages may have changed in the last few years.

On Pat Platoon, if you do not wish to live in shacks, you can write a memo through your CoC requesting permission to live off base. Again, no guarantees. You may still be required to maintain a bed space in the shacks for inspections etc. You can also apply to do OJT/OJE at your home city if there is a base nearby. I was lucky enough to get to go home during 6 of the 9 month wait for my course. Others filled their time doing driver wheel courses and being patients for the med students.

Hope that answers some of your questions.

If I end up doing my OJT (which is 18 months), will I finish my OJT before I go on course, or will they cut it short, send me on course, then after that continue my OJT?

How do you know your OJT is 18 months? Is it a trade specific thing?
As a medic, I was told we don't have OJT anymore, only OJE. OJE has no definite set lengths, so it finishes when you are finally loaded onto your course. And no guarantees of returning to that same clinic after your 3s.
YMMV

sarahsmom said:
As a medic, I was told we don't have OJT anymore, only OJE. OJE has no definite set lengths, so it finishes when you are finally loaded onto your course. And no guarantees of returning to that same clinic after your 3s.
YMMV

Yes OJT is trade specific. Different trades have different lengths depending on how technical they are

sarahsmom said:
YMMV

I know this, because my File Manager told me it was 18 months of OJT for Vehicle Tech.

Veh tech ojt can be 6 months up to 2 years. I saw more than that but it was due to parental leave. But most of my course did it in 18 months.

I'm currently on PAT Pl until end of September when i start poet and I got approved to get a pmq with my SO with no hassles, it's very easy to get a pmq all you need to do is put a request to vacate through your CoC

I will soon be part of PAT platoon in Gagetown as armoured. Quick question. What's the cost of living in shacks on base ( rations and such) per month?

shunting89 said:
I'm currently on PAT Pl until end of September when i start poet and I got approved to get a pmq with my SO with no hassles, it's very easy to get a pmq all you need to do is put a request to vacate through your CoC

While the experience was "easy" for you, it will entirely depend on the CoC involved, circumstances, and a whole host of other variables.  For everyone that finds it easy, there is a fair number who unfortunately did not. 

In contrast - I had a friend (Armoured) who was injured but ultimately passed BMOQ when we headed to Gagetown.  His injury made him unable to be loaded on any courses, and he spent the next two years getting surgeries and unable to move out of quarters (despite knowledge of how long he would be unable to continue training).  Only way he ended up living with his wife again was when he requested a posting to a staff position elsewhere.

So your milage may vary.

Hey, I have a question regarding when I'm able to move my girlfriend to live with me after bmq.I'm listed as single because we have only been together for a year and living together for 6 months.

Thank you.

Adam

medeiros87 said:
Hey, I have a question regarding when I'm able to move my girlfriend to live with me after bmq.I'm listed as single because we have only been together for a year and living together for 6 months.

Thank you.

Adam

DON"T DO IT!

You've not given us enough information to give you an adequate answer.

I'm going to presume that you're Reg Force. If that's the case, then it's unlikely your girlfriend will be able to live "with" you while you undertake QL3 training. What some folks have managed to do is to move their partner to a nearby town and rent on the economy. You may still be required to maintain a barrack room and pay for rations, so it may prove costly to choose this path.

In any event, you will have to check with the school you will be attending next to see what your options are.

Thank you and yes I'm reg force. I'm enrolled as a vehicle tech. I already completed an automotive apprenticeship so my schooling after bmq, sq, and my driver training has been shortened a great deal. I have 12 courses I have to complete and I was told by my local recruiting center that it might only be a months worth or even shorter.

Thanks.

Your course may be only a couple months in total, but there are several parts to your trades course. Each section may have weeks or months waiting in between. And directly after BMQ, you will be put on PAT platoon (personnel awaiting training) until you are course loaded. This could be a week or a year - you will have no idea until you get to Borden.

Even if you were married, you are unable to move any spouse or dependents to Borden while you are doing your QL3 training. Once you get posted after your QL3 she can move with you - but because you are no officially common law you will not receive financial compensation for her travel, she will not be able to accompany you on a house hunting trip or meal allowances. If you tie the knot prior to moving, then you will be entitled to those benefits.

mkil said:
Once you get posted after your QL3 she can move with you - but because you are no officially common law you will not receive financial compensation for her travel, she will not be able to accompany you on a house hunting trip or meal allowances. If you tie the knot prior to moving, then you will be entitled to those benefits.

The OP says they have lived together for 6 months.  After they live together for a year, they can submit documents for Common Law Status.  If the OP is away for 4 of those months because of service reasons, they can still count them.  So, it will be possible for the OP to attain CLS before his/her posting after attaining Career Status.

If/when the OP is successful at common law status, as long as it is before a COS date after trg, they would be entitled to a cost move including the common law spouse.

Back