• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

After BMQ - PAT [Merged]

Warner

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm goin to be going to St Jean for BMQ soon and I was wondering once you're done how much time do you have off?
:cdn:

Until your next course you will be put on PAT platoon at St.Jean or the base or training center you will be at next.  You don't get time off because you complete courses.  You have 20 days of leave each year which you can use when you want as long as it doesn't interfere with CF needs.

I recall reading that you only get that 20 days after your first year, but I'm not sure if I'm confusing it with something else I was reading, and I can't find the article. It makes some sense to me, because it takes at least a year to complete initial training, right?

It could be just that I've been looking at civilian jobs for so long and they all have the 1 year before vacation time is available.

I think once BMQ is completed, the situation is different for everybody... I've heard of people getting a couple weeks off, others have gone straight to their training base (i.e. Borden) to wait for their trade course to start... another friend of mine while waiting in Borden after BMQ got sent to Cold Lake to do some CF security work (which I think would be pretty cool seeing how I'm from NS and have never been to Alberta), he was there for a month. So it seems everyone's situation is different. I start BMQ July 31.

All depends, I got lucky and my BMQ ended on the friday of a long weekend. So I got the weekend off as 'travel time'. Don't count on much time off. How ever I doubt you will be staying on PAT @ st-jean. trades like comm rsrch, sig ops, v-techs, med-techs, mps, firefighters all get sent to CFB Borden where you will spend some well wasted time on PRETC waiting for your pre-reqs like SQ, drivers training waiting to go on your 3's. Infantry will most likely be sent to wainright or petawawa.. I dont know much about the navy trades

With regards to regular force training, after you complete BMQ do you go straight onto SQ or do you get some time off in between? If so how much time off are you given/and are you able to take your time off anywhere? Also I want to do a CT after college, I've heard that you can now request a date for it to take effect, Is it too early to put my papers in if I want the CT to be done for May?

Thanks everyone,

PS I did a search and couldn't find anything relating to my queston.

After BMQ you get sent to where you will take the SQ.  There may be a pause while you wait for the SQ to start.  There is no guarantee you will be given leave, or an opportunity to go anywhere while you wait for your SQ.  It is not free "time off."

You will have to ask at the CFRC on the best time to start your process before a CT.  It may be best to start your process now, but make it clear at every stage that you will not be able to accept an offer before May.

After you finish BMQ there are several paths:

A) If you're combat arms. you'll get transferred to the PAT platoon of whatever Battle School your trade uses (ie. Combat Engineers get sent to the Engineer school PAT platoon at Gagetown, RCR-bound infanteers to the Land Force Central  Area Training Centre (LFCATC) PAT platoon at Meaford, etc etc.).  The time you wait on said PAT platoons also depends on how often the SQ and DP1 courses are being run, it can vary, ie: buddy of mine in meaford started his infantry SQ/DP1 within days of arriving at meaford, another is a combat engineer who had to wait several weeks before starting his SQ in Gagetown. 

B)  If you're an army support trade, you get transferred to whats called Post Recruit Education and Training Centre (PRETC) in Borden ON.  There you wait until you are put on the next available SQ course, or possibly other pre-requisite courses (such as drivers) if you so require them.

I was put on PRETC for a week, than I did my Driver Wheeled course, than the day I finished the driver course I was sent off to Meaford for SQ.  Some people had even shorter wait times, and were sent off to SQ within days of arriving at PRETC.  Others were....not so lucky and had to wait a few more weeks.

And sometimes there isn't enough time to put you on an SQ course and you just get sent straight to your 3s.  Rare but it happens.

So really it all depends on how many courses are being run at the respective training centres, it's difficult to say exactly, but based on what I've seen at PRETC, you're looking at a 2-4 week wait on average.

JAWS228 said:
A) If you're combat arms. you'll get transferred to the PAT platoon of whatever Battle School your trade uses (ie. Combat Engineers get sent to the Engineer school PAT platoon at Gagetown, RCR-bound infanteers to the Land Force Central  Area Training Centre (LFCATC) PAT platoon at Meaford, etc etc.).  The time you wait on said PAT platoons also depends on how often the SQ and DP1 courses are being run, it can vary, ie: buddy of mine in meaford started his infantry SQ/DP1 within days of arriving at meaford, another is a combat engineer who had to wait several weeks before starting his SQ in Gagetown. 

PPCLI infanteers would go to Wainwright?

ONT said:
PPCLI infanteers would go to Wainwright?

Yes those recruits who wish to join the Patricias will goto Wainwright; but you also could do your BIQ at LFWATC Det Shilo.

Alright thanks. So to start the CT process I would firstly go to the CFRC and not my unit?

Hey,

Searched but didnt find an answer

I heading to BMQ November 1st,  My girlfreind really wants to be there for graduation,  she lives in BC with me currently. My question to the forum is:

Is there a break after BMQ for a few days , or anything really , to visit with family and such before starting SQ.  Just want to know if I fly her out will I get some time to visit her before heading off to SQ,  IF I earn the right to be there.

Your grad will be on a Thursday, and you will be taken to the airport bright and early the next morning to be flown off to PAT Platoon until you go on your SQ.
I flew my girlfriend in for my grad and saw her for a total of 5 hours. :(
Good luck on your BMQ

While it may be nice to have your girlfriend at the graduation, you may want to consider spending the same money to fly her to your next training base for a weekend after you arrive and settle in there (if you will be waiting a few weeks before your trades courses start). Better a full weekend than a few hours.

I'm with Mr O'Leary on this one. It's going to be a long 14 weeks, and unless your staff at some point mentions that you're not getting shipped out right after your grad then it's most likely to your benefit as well as hers that you wait to have her come down so you can actually spend some time with her. There will be alot of things going on on your grad day (weapons return/finishing packing/seeing family/social time in the mess) and as much as you would both probably like for her to be there, she wouldn't be getting alot of one on one time with you, so I'd just wait til the next weekend and have her visit then when you can spend some real time with her.

Once you are settled in PAT, after your BMQ, take annual leave and go home... It is not worth it for a weekend. LTA ( leave travel assistance ) will reimburse you for your flight home once every fiscal year (april 1st-march 31st)

And grad... not worth it again, you will need the extra time and there will be lots of  ceremonies in your career...

So, not trying to hijack a thread here, but if I finish BMQ at the start of March, can I take a week leave after that before going to PAT so that I can come home?

Luke O said:
So, not trying to hijack a thread here, but if I finish BMQ at the start of March, can I take a week leave after that before going to PAT so that I can come home?

Unlikely. The moment your BMQ ends, they ship you to your new location. Once you are there you can ask about leave possibilities. Keep in mind they are also tracking how much leave each group of students have, so that they have enough leave days available for when they have scheduled you to be on leave.

In short, no-one here can give you a direct answer right now.

Back