• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Afghan war vets reject Anders' apology

ProudNewfoundlander

Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.canada.com/news/Afghan+vets+reject+Anders+apology/6243972/story.html

Calgary Conservative MP Rob Anders has apologized for describing two Afghan war veterans, who volunteer their time to help homeless former soldiers, as "NDP hacks" and supporters of Russian strongman Vladimir Putin.

Anders made the comments about Jim Lowther and David MacLeod, both former members of the Canadian Forces.

But when contacted Friday night and told of Anders' apology, the two men said they didn't accept it and called on him to resign from the Commons veterans affairs committee.

On Thursday, the two had voiced their anger that Anders fell asleep during their presentation earlier this week at a Commons veterans affairs meeting in Halifax. The men were detailing how their volunteer group, Veterans Emergency Transition Services, also known as VETS, was trying to deal with the homeless problem affecting former soldiers. In the last year the group has helped 13 veterans get off the streets and find shelter.

Anders said he never fell asleep and accused the men of being NDP supporters who had praised Putin.

However, both men are card-carrying Conservatives who have put aside partisanship to help veterans. Lowther has served in Bosnia and Afghanistan. MacLeod served in Cyprus, Bosnia, Kosovo and Afghanistan.

As for any connection to Putin, MacLeod pointed out that he had mentioned during the presentation that even the Russians took care of their former soldiers, offering them housing and setting up a hospital to offer post traumatic stress counselling to Afghan war veterans.

After Anders' comments were published, the two men issued an open letter to the MP.

"Mr. Anders, if you had a shred of integrity, you would provide both Jim and I with apologies and resign from the Standing Committee on Veteran Affairs," wrote MacLeod. "Veterans need people that are motivated, dedicated, are willing to communicate, and understand how a democracy works."

Emails were also circulating Friday afternoon among veterans calling on Anders to resign.

On Friday night, Anders issued a statement apologizing for his comments, but not naming the men.

"I have enormous respect for the men and women who have sacrificed in service of their country," the Conservative MP said in a written statement. "I apologize for my comments and any offence they may have caused. I will continue to work on behalf of Canada's veterans through the committee."

Anders did not contact the two Canadian Forces veterans who did not learn of the apology until contacted by the Ottawa Citizen on Friday night.

"Not good enough," MacLeod said. "On behalf of Veterans Emergency Transition Services (VETS), Jim Lowther and I do not accept Mr. Anders's apology. VETS is concerned that Mr. Anders is remaining on the Standing Committee of Veterans Affairs. We doubt that Mr. Anders has the best interests of veterans at heart. VETS and those veterans we have contacted demand Mr. Anders's resignation from the Standing Committee of Veterans Affairs."

Both Lowther, president of Veterans Emergency Transition Services, and MacLeod, who handles policy for the group, said they felt insulted by Anders sleeping during an important topic such as homelessness among veterans.

Liberal MP Sean Casey, who was at the meeting, also said that Anders fell asleep.

Anders said that Casey was making his comments based on partisanship and that Lowther was being controlled by NDP veterans affairs critic Peter Stoffer. "It's totally a smear job," said Anders in his earlier interview with the Citizen. "He's obviously in the pocket of Peter Stoffer."

Lowther and MacLeod called Anders' claims ludicrous.

In their open letter to Anders, the men noted they are Conservatives but added that, "We support all politicians that are able to put partisan politics aside to get to the heart of issues. It's called a fully functioning democracy — something we fought for."

"It was difficult not to be insulted when you fell asleep," they added. "We were very focused on making the best of an opportunity to positively affect the lives of veterans. We want to help our brothers and sisters who have served but fallen on hard times or made bad decisions."

Last fall a YouTube video of Anders nodding off in the House of Commons became a hit with viewers. His office later told a constituent the reason he feel asleep was because he had been in a recent car accident, although no details about where or when that happened were provided, according to news reports.

Rookie Green said:
I'm not too familiar with the situation... but you'd think that he'd actually contact the people he was apologizing to. That's what irked me (Claims of "NDP hacks" and that sort of crazy stuff aside.)

I love those fake, insincere apologies. "I will continue to work to work on behalf of veterans..." while apologizing for the fact that he failed to do just that is pretty much priceless.

The guy has a lot of detractors, and has for some time. Even the majority of conservatives don't like him; In fact his riding association tried to oust him not to long ago.

To me though he just represents a type of politics I don't like. Like, seriously, before his entry into Canadian politics he worked as a professional heckler for the Republican party in the states

Some tidbits from the House of Commons yesterday on this one:
Mr. Sean Casey (Charlottetown, Lib.): Mr. Speaker, the chief government whip is no doubt aware of the reports last week where the member for Calgary West fell asleep in a parliamentary committee during a presentation on veterans homelessness. The member subsequently denied this and launched, and this may sound familiar, an unsubstantiated smear campaign against the veterans group that went public with it. 

These veterans are angry and offended. They are ready to sue him and are seeking his removal from the committee. Will the chief government whip respect the wishes of the veterans and remove the member?

Hon. Steven Blaney (Minister of Veterans Affairs, CPC):  Mr. Speaker, the member has done the right thing and apologized. This government has the utmost respect for our veterans and especially for those who dedicate their lives to each other.

How we can show real respect in the House to veterans is by supporting our budget initiatives. Every member of our government has supported, for the last six years, our increases in the investments in our veterans, and we will continue to do so.

Latest apology, in person in the House yesterday:
Mr. Speaker, I rise today to express my sincere apology for my comments with respect to Mr. Lowther and Mr. David MacLeod.

Further, I want to apologize for any offence my comments may have caused veterans or anyone else. I have, and continue to have, enormous respect for the men and women who have sacrificed in the service of our country. I recognize the democracy we have today is, in large part, attributable to them.

Really, calling them Commies? Thank God we have this guy to protect us from the red commie horde. WTF is this 1977?  I hate this ******* already.

Rob Anders, supporting vets who become homeless does not make you a commie asshole.

Sounds like someone needs to spike his water jug with Jolt or Red Bull...and also book him for a cephaloproctectomy.

MM

Medicineman - we both know that the success rate for reversing Cranial-Rectal Inversion of this severity is very low.

Don't I know it - I wrote the original paper for the NEJM about it.  Mind you, I was using mainly military folks as my database...this guy is worse than some of the worst good idea fairies I've ever encountered.  But hey - you have to at least offer him the procedure like any patient and then risk stratify.  To be honest, even if it wasn't successful, I doubt many folks would miss his snoring in The House...

MM

We may also be seeing the common comorbidity of oral-plantar fusion. It adds a degree of complexity, but can be treated through humility, honesty, and a heartfelt apology.

Staff Weenie said:
We may also be seeing the common comorbidity of oral-plantar fusion. It adds a degree of complexity, but can be treated through humility, honesty, and a heartfelt apology, along with a swift kick in the butt.

TFTFY

Crantor said:
Get the guy off that comitee.

I agree completely. Apologies (after the fact) are nice and all, but when the attitude that caused the comments in the first place is even existent --- it's high time to go. That kind of attitude has no place within a committee that is supposed to be looking out for the best interests of those whom he professes are "commies".

What a freakin' dinosaur.

Staff Weenie said:
We may also be seeing the common comorbidity of oral-plantar fusion. It adds a degree of complexity, but can be treated through humility, honesty, and a heartfelt apology.

Usually best treated with 0-0 running nylon suture through both lips - keeps the feet out in the first place (I know...I sometimes need it).

medicineman said:
Usually best treated with 0-0 running nylon suture through both lips without anaesthetic as he's asleep anyway

TFTFY

If I was a politician on a board where Canadian vets are speaking well of kommrade Putin....I would go nuts trying to improve benefits to our vets....or fall asleep only to wake up and call them commie NDP hacks.

Either or.

What happened to The Harpers Government veterans bill of rights?

Canadian veterans, who have committed their lives and "service" for the freedoms Canadians enjoy today are special citizens. They deserve recognition, benefits and services to maintain an appropriate quality of life during all stages of their lives. Their special status should be recognized in all jurisdictions, federal, provincial and municipal.
Veterans have a right to be treated with courtesy, with respect and in a timely fashion in all their contacts with Veterans Affairs Canada at all levels of the Department. This respect, courtesy and timeliness of service must also be demonstrated to their families and dependants.
Veterans have a right to be fully informed of all programs and benefits to which they are eligible. In that respect, Veterans Affairs Canada has a responsibility to inform not only their current clients; it also has a responsibility to reach out in providing information to potential clients.
Veterans have a right to be provided with equal benefits in any part of the country in which they or their dependants reside. Geographical location should not determine the quality or level of service provided. Confidentiality of information must be preserved.
Veterans have a right to receive fair and equal treatment, irrespective of rank, position, or status. They should be treated with tact, comprehension and understanding. They should be involved in the decisions affecting their care and the formulation of programs and benefits.
Veterans have a right to receive referral and representational assistance in presenting their claims for benefits and services in the official language of their choice. This assistance should be broad based, and should not be restricted to governmental agencies.[12]

It's been recognized for a while that Mr Anders needs to be replaced in his riding. I understand from other sources that Mr Anders' riding committee has tried to replace him, but apparently he has a sufficient number of members in his pocket, so no joy there.

After Anders compared Nelson to a terrorist, he has had a growing hate club in the riding:

http://www.voteoutanders.com/

From my understanding, Anders, Harper, and Stockwell all attended the University of Calgary together. Harper keeps protecting Anders for some reason. Some say it is because he is a good election tactician. Others say it is because he has dirt on Harper. That's just coffee shop gossip though.

Back