• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Afghan Medals Process (merged)

Since we've reached this stage, perhaps we should consider the poor sailor of WW2. Numerous crossings of the Atlantic on different warships. Should he get a numeral for each crossing (tour) and different bars with the ship's name?

For the guy that did Roto Zero and Roto 3:
Perhaps you are like me and were Roto2 Op Apollo for 2.5 months then switched over to Op Athena Roto Zero for 5 months and received the SWASM..therefore not being entitled to the GCS/GCM (they made the eligibility date for the GCM co-incide with the departure date for those of us who originally deployed as Op Apollo - not the date that we officially became Op Athena).
If you did come into Theatre only for Op Athena then you would be entitled to one of the honours and Awards as follows (from the DHH Web-site)
For service within the geographical boundaries of Afghanistan:
"The General Campaign Star (GCS) with bar ISAF+FIAS: Awarded to Canadian Forces members and members of allied forces working with the Canadian Forces who served with the Canadian contribution to the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) in Afghanistan for at least 30 days cumulative between 24 April 2003 and a termination date to be determined, in the theatre of operations which consisted of the political boundaries and airspace of Afghanistan. Aircrew flying into the theatre accumulate one day of service for the first sortie flown on any day, additional sorties flown on the same day receive no further credit."
Or, if you served your time at Camp Mirage...
"The General Campaign Medal (GCM) with bar ISAF+FIAS: Awarded to:
Canadian citizens other than Canadian Forces members who worked with the Canadian Forces and served with the Canadian contribution to the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) in Afghanistan for at least 30 days cumulative between 24 April 2003 and a termination date to be determined, in the theatre of operations which consisted of the political boundaries and airspace of Afghanistan.
Members of the Canadian Forces, other Canadian citizens and members of allied forces working with the Canadian Forces who served in the following locations for at least 90 days cumulative in direct support, on a full-time basis, of the Canadian contribution to the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF):
Logistic support in Taranto, Italy from 1 May 2003;
Interim Staging Base (ISB) in Istanbul, Turkey from 2 June 2003; and
National Support Element (NSE) in Camp Mirage from 17 August 2003."

Perhaps that is why you got the scroll presented. Our boys (& girls) that deployed on the TAT prepping for Roto Zero only just got their GC Stars presented at the NB Legislature in July...surely yours must be on it's way. I suggest that you confirm with your Unit orderly room.

Well I posted my concerns, opinions, thoughts, complaints or what have you just as that! To Mr. Grunt_031  you do not need to pick apart my message. It is not about collecting "merit badges" it is about being recognized for accomplishments. I agree that the Vets did not receive more medals, or bars for the same circumstances does this make it right. You say " The job is about being the quiet professional and hopefully someone will notice." Thats what we do on a regular basis. I have been in this job long enough to know. Money is not what I was there for. Yes experience, however in my "Trade" I get my experience everyday not just overseas. Enough is enough. Obviously I will have to take my little scroll and go and get it mounted down at the trophy shop. So I guess I get to start a whole new row. Thanks again!

KevinB..you crack me up! How bout getting posted to the Infantry School so that I can call on your humour to brighten our days at Clothing? Beware though...as an Official trg Base...some disgruntled Sup Tech may make you turn in your Gucci gear by lying to you and telling you that you're no longer allowed to have it...then they would wear it!!  :)

ACK!!!!

Sorry I think those CO's and RSM leave little latitude for individual kit  ;)

As far as shinies go -- I appreciate that people like a little pat on the back, but they really dont mean much other than you where there.  I've seen a lot of people in my trade I would not trust (and don't) with a weapon who have a "soldierly rack".

You are who you are - no wearing of a medal/decoration or badge makes you less or more...

Well every trades gotta have at least one. But still, I'm pretty sure he's entitled to one or the other...need more details though...tour dates (and specific place) etc etc. Like I said before, I really don't care about getting more...need the chest to pin them on first....nor the money...as all of my tours so far have not been tax free. A question...does 6 months in Alert count as a tour in your books...it was really really chilly there....I think I'll stick with the nice hot climates like my others Namibia, Golan, Gulf.... My kids are really not impressed by the fact I'm going away again but hey that's why I joined....

People should not get too worked up about medals.

Unless they are individual awards for gallentry, all medals are just gimmes.  You only have to turn up to get them, be it Afghanistan, Iraq, Northern Ireland, etc.  It makes no difference, if you were running about being shot at, frying eggs in a cookhouse or sorting mail.  All of these functions are equally valuable in their own way and all are about doing the job that you are paid for.

I think all medals are pretty much worthless unless they are awarded for specific acts of bravery etc.  That said I have my three and I think they looked great on the uniform, but in reality they are nothing more than a souvenir of a tour or in terms of long service a medal for doing what you have been paid to do.

Medals do not make you a better or more professional soldier.  It is the man who makes the medals, not medals that make a man.

KevinB said:
ACK!!!!

Sorry I think those CO's and RSM leave little latitude for individual kit  ;)

As far as shinies go -- I appreciate that people like a little pat on the back, but they really dont mean much other than you where there.  I've seen a lot of people in my trade I would not trust (and don't) with a weapon who have a "soldierly rack".

You are who you are - no wearing of a medal/decoration or badge makes you less or more...

Kevin, time for remedial-SHARP class???  ;D

Cheers,
Duey

I'll have you know I have NEVER had a SHARP class.

I find them harrassing  ;D  So I opt out.

KevinB said:
I'll have you know I have NEVER had a SHARP class.

I find them harrassing   ;D   So I opt out.

Seen!

Her a** meant nothing to me either!!

I was going through the National Defence document '' Canadian Honours and Awards''. According to this document, when you are deployed to Afghanistan for 90 days or more, you are entitled to four (4) awards:

1) The Canadian Peacekeeping Service Medal
2) The South-West Asia Service Medal
3) The General Campaign Star
4) The General Service Medal

Question 1: is that accurate ?
Question 2: do you get those automatically ?

I'm welcoming all comments.

Thanks.

I'm going by memory here, but it depends on which mission to Afghanistan you're on.  If it's a current one, you get the GCS, that's it, that's all.  If you're supporting Op APOLLO, ATHENA, ARCHER, but not actually in Afghanistan, then you get the SWASM.  Not sure about the GSM.

The current mission is not defined as peacekeeping, so that rules out the CPSM. 

The rule is that you only get one medal for each operation.  The CPSM is sometimes viewed as anathema to the honours and awards system because it breaks that cardinal rule.

For Op ATHENA, the award was the General Campaign Star.  For those supporting ATHENA, but not in Afghanistan, it was the General Campaign Medal.  For APOLLO, it was the SWASM, with bar (I believe) that said "Afghanistan".  I don't know what the current mission will receive.

Apollo/OEF/OIF -- SWASM - w. Afghan Bar

Athena - GCS

Athena not in theatre - GSM

Archer/Orion/OEF/OIF - SWASM w/ afghan bar

GCS and SWASM have no bars or numbers for multiple awards

Infidel-6 said:
GCS and SWASM have no bars or numbers for multiple awards

Imagine this: A guy who's been to Cyprus 4 times has the numeral "4" on his ribbon.  A guy who's been on Apollo and now Archer has but one medal with the "Afghanistan" bar.  Do we need to resurrect a War Medal?
Much in the vein of the World Wars and Korea, a War Medal, a series of Campaign Stars (Not General, but specific to various theatres) a voluntary service medal and so forth?  Not to make us look like a bunch of extras from a really poor war movie, but to properly acknowledge those who have served?

Just my opinion and thoughts, they were free and you get exactly your money's worth ;D

Seems to me that there was an idea kicked around of getting additional bars or maple leafs for more than one tour.

Anyone know what became of this?

Regards

George Wallace said:
Wasn't there a CANFORGEN nixing that?

YUP

However I think something like the US CIB would be a nice touch...

Back