• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Afghan Medals Process (merged)

Story of a Medal

1999 I was with the AF during Op Allied Force.
We received the NATO FRY Medal
six months later it was taken away and we received the NATO medal with Kosovo Bar and our CPSM
a couple of years after theat the Kosovo Gang was repealed and I got the FRY medal again and the GSM pilots got the GCS.

Three Medals (well four really) for one tour which had changed missions three times.

It was a fun tour. And a very busy 78 Days. Best time of my life.

And a very busy 78 Days.

I am not singling out mover1 but if there is one thing I would like to see, it is the requirement to spent 90 days in theatre before getting a medal.  There are way too many tour tourist out there collecting great racks without putting in the requisite amount of time.  30 days is not enough time to even unpack your barrack box!

My 2 cents.

IIRC back in the day  ;)  We had to have 90 days - a lot of guys did not get the UNFICYP or early UNPROFOR's do to that -- however IIRC 95'ish it changed to 30days.

Gunner said:
I am not singling out mover1 but if there is one thing I would like to see, it is the requirement to spent 90 days in theatre before getting a medal.   There are way too many tour tourist out there collecting great racks without putting in the requisite amount of time.   30 days is not enough time to even unpack your barrack box!

My 2 cents.

Gunner, how about the infamous "24 hours" to get a bar (leaf) for the Gulf medal....many a 412 Sqn aricrew got that one for dropping off VIPs and sitting on the ramp overnight in Qatar...

*edit* for horrible spelling of Gunner's handle....

Duey said:
Gennuer, how about the infamous "24 hours" to get a bar (leaf) for the Gulf medal....many a 412 Sqn aricrew got that one for dropping off VIPs and sitting on the ramp overnight in Qatar...

http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/remembers/sub.cfm?source=collections/cmdp/mainmenu/group04

Africa Star
Awarded for a minimum one day service in an operational area of North Africa between 10 June 1940 and 12 May 1943.*

Pacific Star
Awarded for one day or more of operational service in the Pacific between 08 December 1941 and
02 September 1945.*

Burma Star
Awarded for one day or more of operational service during the Burma campaign, between 11 December 1941 and 02 September 1945.*

Italy Star
Awarded for one day operational service in Sicily or Italy between 11 June 1943 and 08 May 1945.*

France & Germany Star
Awarded for one day or more of service in France, Belgium, Holland or Germany between 06 June 1944 (D-Day) and 08 May 1945.*

Something tells me once you got to those theatres - you got stuck for more than one day...  ;)

Thoiugh perhaps the occasional transport or aircraft ferry pilot never spent more than a day or two on the ground because of the nature of his duties, and after one such visit earned his star.

KevinB said:
IIRC back in the day   ;)   We had to have 90 days - a lot of guys did not get the UNFICYP or early UNPROFOR's do to that -- however IIRC 95'ish it changed to 30days.

It's still 90 days for UN missions.  All NATO ones are 30 days.

Gunner said:
I am not singling out mover1 but if there is one thing I would like to see, it is the requirement to spent 90 days in theatre before getting a medal.   There are way too many tour tourist out there collecting great racks without putting in the requisite amount of time.   30 days is not enough time to even unpack your barrack box!

My 2 cents.

Well I am going have to charge you Stupidity TAX on your two cents.  ;)

The 78 days I was refering to was only the days of hostilities that made up Operation Allied Force. Its hard to do a six month tour when the shooting war lasts only a couple of months. Then AFTER the bombing. We reverted back to the original mission of enforcing no fly zones and power projection.
I spent from March until October on that tour.
Army guys can slam the airforce for whatever reasons they want. However just remember that how we live and how we fight are just natures of the beast.
If it makes you feel any better. The base golf couse in aviano was closed during hostilites because we had too much ordinance in the immediate area making it an usafe environment.  ;D

What part of "I'm not singling out mover1" didn't you understand.  Secondly, tone down your retoric or you will go through the warning system.  That was your freebie.

KevinB said:
Something tells me once you got to those theatres - you got stuck for more than one day...   ;)

Quite right, Kevin.  My grandfather-in-law has all of those stars (and then some) except the Pacific Star.  He was in the 7th BEF, started as a Bren gunner in 36 in India and moved West, Southwest, South, West, Northeast, North, Northwest and Northeast and didn't stop until Holland in '45.  That's 9 years!  Holy schisse! 

And to think some of us complain about 6 months... :-\

Cheers,
Duey

OK...now I'm confused. I'm a girl deploying on Op Argus Feb 06-Aug 06. I can't seem to find anything out about it though. I'm confused about the medals though due to some of these posts. I was deployed on Op Apollo from 02 Jan 03 to Aug 03. I received the SWASM. BUT...in May we officially became Op Athena roto Zero instead of Op Apollo Roto 2. We only recd the 1 medal (the one we earned FIRST) as it was explained to us that you could not receive 2 medals for 1 deployment (this despite the fact that the Op and the mandate changed). But it seems to me that other tours are receiving 2 medals for 1 deployment (despite the fact that the Op and the mandate changed). We were there when the  boys came in on the TAT and when they left. They recd the GCS/GCM (depending upon where they bunked) and still we sat for another 3 months getting neither. Just one medal....so I don't understand why others would be getting 2 medals for one deployment. No I don't need another gong....I have 7....the CPSM and the CD being presented automatically...the others are for tours. I don't care, I just find it interesting that pers are now getting 2 for one deployment. My big wish is that I could get them to pay for me to get a proper sized chest to pin them on. So really, if anybody out there can fill me in on Op Argus details...I would appreciate it. I can't find their kitlist on the deployed ops website....nothing....

Interesting Forum here. I would like to know why the GCS was created so that if you have completed two tours under the same Op that you do not receive a numeral. I have done Roto 0 and Roto 3 and find it ridiculous that I receive nothing for doing two tours in the same place. The only recognition that we received was a lousy computer generated scroll with the two tour dates on it. And to that I might add the dates are completely wrong , although it was signed by the commander. A few of us thought it might be a good Idea that if Canada does not want to award numerals for tours then maybe another bar or a different coloured ISAF bar. It is disrespectful I think to spend over 12 months in one place(yes not consecutively) and not got anything for it. It is in my eyes about the medals but it is also Pride, Honor and respect!!!!!! Thats all I have to say about that.

armyvern said:
Found it interesting...according to DHH those mbrs now entitled to wear the GCS/GCM (ie Air Ops over Macedonia, Yugo etc) have to turn in their NATO medals to receive this one according to DHH...I guess this is to avoid the 2 medals for 1 deployment deal???

http://www.dnd.ca/hr/dhh/honours_awards/engraph/honour_awards_e.asp?cat=3&Q_ID=112

http://www.dnd.ca/hr/dhh/honours_awards/engraph/honour_awards_e.asp?cat=3&Q_ID=113

Interesting statement...This is the first I have heard of one having to turn in/exchange a medal awarded for another.   I did not notice any such statement in any of your links.

MSE_OP18 said:
It is disrespectful I think to spend over 12 months in one place(yes not consecutively) and not got anything for it. It is in my eyes about the medals but it is also Pride, Honor and respect!!!!!! Thats all I have to say about that.

Hmmm, the campaign stars issued during the Second World War were issued with no cross.  Look at a typical Italian vet and they probably spent eighteen months in Sicily and Italy without getting bars or stars or rosettes.  Don't hear them complaining about not getting any respect.  Get wounded, or sent somewhere else, then back to Italy, well nothing extra then for doing "two tours in the same place".

If it's about the medals to you then go here, http://www.foxfall.com/ and get them to make some up for you...And if you need a piece of metal to give you pride, honor and respect, well, I'm sorry.

George,

It's under the Bars section for Allied Force:

Some recipients may have to exchange their previously presented NATO Medal to receive this award.

D

A few of us thought it might be a good Idea that if Canada does not want to award numerals for tours then maybe another bar or a different coloured ISAF bar
Maybe you should join the boy scouts and collect merit badges. If your going on tour to receive the gongs your priorities are screwed up. The job is about being the quiet professional and hopefully someone will notice. I have taken more pride in the locals saying "thank you" than the pieces of tin that the government gives me.

I have done Roto 0 and Roto 3 and find it ridiculous that I receive nothing for doing two tours in the same place
Nothing. where you sitting in a hole for 6 months, What about a chance to do your job, receive valuable experience, Pay bonuses and of course Tax Free pay.

respect!!!!!!
Respect comes from action not from symbols on your chest. I have seen many people with many medals that did nothing.

The only recognition that we received was a lousy computer generated scroll with the two tour dates on it
Did you address this through the chain of command? or did you just whine about it and say the system screwed me again. Once this is sorted out you can add it to your resume and then pin it to your chest for the added recognition you want.

The new roto for Afghanistan in the spring will be receiving the SWASM and if you where there before guess what no numeral.

Re: Seeking Answers WRT Medals.......... Serious answers only please
« Reply #48 on: Today at 11:56:20 » 
AmmoTech90
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
George,

It's under the Bars section for Allied Force:

Some recipients may have to exchange their previously presented NATO Medal to receive this award.

D

OK...tucked away neatly under "ALLIED FORCE: Awarded to fighter pilots and AWACS crew members who flew at least 5 sorties during Operation ALLIED FORCE from 24 March to 10 June 1999" over Kosovo and other territories of the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia, Albania, the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia and the Adriatic and Ionian seas.

In a case where the medal has been instituted, I can agree; but for instances prior to the institution of the award, I can not see it happening.   Too easy.

Back