• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Advice for women on BMQ and other courses [MERGED]

Tulach Ard said:
Hhmm I havent heard of this option. Perhaps I will look into it. Where abouts are you Occam? I know each province has different health care laws.

At that price, I can pretty much guarantee that no provincial health care drug plan will pay for it, hence the need to try to put it under a private drug plan.  I know that PSHCP won't pay for it, as we inquired about it.  We were in NS when she got it, but you can certainly inquire about it in whichever province you're in.

It's worth checking into.  As I understand it, it's like an IUD but also has a slow-release medicinal component as well.

Tulach Ard said:
Me too! I have my medical in 3 days, and I am told just weeks until my call...maybe I will see you there!

That would be pretty cool to know someone before basic lol

Ok. So obviously there has been alot of chatter about hair.. I am going to add to it. I want to cut my hair before I go off to BMQ, but in all honesty, I still want to look like a girl for when we get our weekends (silly I know). Does anyone know of any sites that have GOOD advice or pics? Any help would be great!

Not for St. Jean, but for Wainwright DP1 (infantry) the barracks are coed, and you will most likely have a male fire team partner, unless you are lucky enough to have 2 females on the course.  You will get used to sleeping in the same area as 30 other guys, and you will be sleeping in the seem hooch as your fire team partner.  There are separate washrooms.

Mind you, they did ask us males if we had a problem with a female sharing the same sleeping quarters as us.  After awhile, we don't see gender, just another soldier.

Lynney24 said:
Ok. So obviously there has been alot of chatter about hair.. I am going to add to it. I want to cut my hair before I go off to BMQ, but in all honesty, I still want to look like a girl for when we get our weekends (silly I know). Does anyone know of any sites that have GOOD advice or pics? Any help would be great!

Not sure if you can access the CF Dress Regs, but here's the link:

CFP 265

Pictures of women's hair styles starts on page 2-2-15.

As a Guy I find most women can pull off short hair and still look like a woman.  But as was pointed out if your getting it cut make sure it is something low maintenance and wont grow too long befor you need to trim it again.  Basic is not the place to try and transition your hair.  This advice comes from someone who has 2ICed a few BMQ Crses
( with the disclaimer of not having done it in St Jean and took my own Basic in Cornwalis )

Lynney24 said:

Hey Lynney, I was planning on cutting mine off too (its down to my bum) but was convinced by a friend of mine who happens to be a Sgt that you can get away with keeping it long if you want to. Yes its a pain in the ass but he taught a course where when of the pte's was a female, had hair down to her butt as well, kept it that long the entire course AND did better than most of the men. So I have decided just to trim mine to about waist length, LOL.
THIS video was AWESOME, I learned how to put it up within regulations from this vid and now I dont have to cut it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRcDhAKJp3w

Good luck with long hair, we will see if I have patience to keep mine=P

Just remember that, although for everyday activities you can have a braid hanging down, for ceremonial reasons (parades) you have to tie it up in a bun or a tucked french braid or other tied up style.

This addendum to the dress regs is not well know and was added in 2006 I believe.

Strike said:
Just remember that, although for everyday activities you can have a braid hanging down, for ceremonial reasons (parades) you have to tie it up in a bun or a tucked french braid or other tied up style.

This addendum to the dress regs is not well know and was added in 2006 I believe.

Right but doesnt that braid have to be above or at your armpits? Thats not very long, so for people wanting to keep it longer, we would just have to bun it all the time, no?

Tulach Ard said:
Right but doesnt that braid have to be above or at your armpits? Thats not very long, so for people wanting to keep it longer, we would just have to bun it all the time, no?

I've seen girls with fairly long hair do a good braid, but they start french-braiding right from the top of their head.

Hahaha well lucky them! Alas I cannot braid my OWN hair to save my life, although on someone else...no problem. We will just have to have a braiding chain in the AM ;D

Tulach Ard said:
Hahaha well lucky them! Alas I cannot braid my OWN hair to save my life, although on someone else...no problem. We will just have to have a braiding chain in the AM ;D

Like you'll have time!  I'd suggest investing in lots of hairspray and gel and do your hair the night before.  Then just take care of the fly-aways in the morning.

Strike, note sarcasm. Of course we wont have time! Yes I plan to do it the night before, although I am sure I will find out all the things that work once I get. Will say though that I am already practicing now.

What about if I braided it from just above the base of my neck and lopped the braid up and tucked the end under so it is above my armpits, would that be acceptable? Didnt see that in the options, so perhaps not, although I hear that braiding two and tying them to the top of your head is acceptable so maybe this is as well.

Tulach Ard said:
Strike, note sarcasm. Of course we wont have time! Yes I plan to do it the night before, although I am sure I will find out all the things that work once I get. Will say though that I am already practicing now.

What about if I braided it from just above the base of my neck and lopped the braid up and tucked the end under so it is above my armpits, would that be acceptable? Didnt see that in the options, so perhaps not, although I hear that braiding two and tying them to the top of your head is acceptable so maybe this is as well.

Although I have seen it, so did a SM and he promptly corrected the error of the female in question.  I'd suggest braiding it and wrapping it in a bun.

Strike said:

The only time I saw women allowed to wear their hair in a braid hanging down at St. Jean was when they had to wear FFO (buns don't work w/ helmets). Other than those times, women on all platoons as far as I could tell had to have their hair in a very tight (pushed in with bobby pins) bun or a fairly short cut.

Don't go to the SJ barbers, by the way. They don't do nice things to female hair. Not personal experience, just personal observation. ;)

Celticgirl said:
The only time I saw women allowed to wear their hair in a braid hanging down at St. Jean was when they had to wear FFO (buns don't work w/ helmets). Other than those times, women on all platoons as far as I could tell had to have their hair in a very tight (pushed in with bobby pins) bun or a fairly short cut.

Don't go to the SJ barbers, by the way. They don't do nice things to female hair. Not personal experience, just personal observation. ;)

And this is why I chopped my hair off (and have been practising with hubby's beret)  all I need is a hairbrush and a clippy and I'm good to go.  though I hope to grow it out after my 3's.

Now, if I'd just get that darn call.

Lil_T said:
And this is why I chopped my hair off (and have been practising with hubby's beret)  all I need is a hairbrush and a clippy and I'm good to go.  though I hope to grow it out after my 3's.

That is a good tip LilT, getting a beret from a surplus store if you dont have a "significant other" in the military will allow practice in getting the hair up and away.  NCO's will look for any thing showing under the front , and loose strands not tucked away.  especially for inspections but bear in mind your job during the day it to keep it tucked if it pulls loose. 
Also berets will only accept a certain amount of thickness in hair before looking misshaped. One less thing to worry about for the ladies who are joining.

Lil_T said:

:crybaby: ARGH tell me about it.

And I definitely wont be going to the SJ barbers, yikes. If It gets THAT frustrating I will simply shave it, Demi Moore style >:D

Lil_T said:
(and have been practising with hubby's beret) 

At the risk of sounding like a complete dolt here, (feel free to laugh) why practice with a beret? Practice what, putting it on correctly? Or finding the correct place for your bun? They sit fairly high on your head, I must be missing something here. ::)

Back