• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Advice for women on BMQ and other courses [MERGED]

Well, that's a big change from when I went through in '86.  Females made up about half the platoon.

PMedMoe said:
Well, that's a big change from when I went through in '86.  Females made up about half the platoon.

These days there are perhaps 5-6 on a plt.

After 01 Apr there will prolly be even less, due to the new fitness stds and no more RFT.

Good2Go said:

After 01 Apr there will prolly be even less, due to the new fitness stds and no more RFT.

Are they removing RFT completely? or are you referring to change of RFt to WFT and a minimum standard to be placed on WFT?

Good2Go said:

So are you saying that the women tend to be less physically fit than the men?

PMedMoe said:
So are you saying that the women tend to be less physically fit than the men?

From my experience last year at BMQ I would say no, out of the approx. 10 females we had on platoon only 1 was sent to RFT. 7 males were also sent.

If you're worried about the "frizzies" when having to change headdress I'd suggest getting a travel-size bottle of hairspray that you can it in your pocket (maybe with a small plastic comb).  Prior to putting on the next headdress required give a couple of spray and smooth it out with your hand/comb.  Your head will likely feel like a helmet itself by the end of the day but you're less likely to get jacked up too.

Good2go, what are the new physical standards?

Are they being changed from what is currently up on the CF website? I only ask because I am focusing on getting in the best shape I can for Basic, and I am working towards the goals set out on the website.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

This is a great thread, as it brought up some things I never even thought about  :nod:

Strike said:
If you're worried about the "frizzies" when having to change headdress I'd suggest getting a travel-size bottle of hairspray that you can it in your pocket (maybe with a small plastic comb).  Prior to putting on the next headdress required give a couple of spray and smooth it out with your hand/comb.  Your head will likely feel like a helmet itself by the end of the day but you're less likely to get jacked up too.

So are we allowed to bring moisturizer, facewash, hairspray, hair gel, and conditioner bottles, in addition to the shaving creme, shampoo bottle and bar of soap that is on the list? My husband said they weren't allowed anything beyond shaving creme, bar soap, and shampoo (he went in 2003) and well I have long hair (but have no problem doing a bun in 30 secs or a french braid in almost the same amount of time) but I need the conditioner and would love to be able to bring moisturizer and hairspray would definitely help with the frizzies from humidity this summer.

Also anyone know how the staff feels about multivitamins (I know there are posts about this but they are all more performance related)...I ask because once I'm done basic we're planning on starting a family and I wish to get my body ready ahead of time (aka, need the calcium and folic acid for 6 months in advance).... anyone have any thoughts?

trentonmilwife, you should be allowed to have the other toiletries, they just won't be part of your locker layout.  When I did basic, many moons ago, we were given our hat box as a "personal" box and could keep items not on the layout list there.  My suggestion would be to get the travel-sized items so they take up less room.

Multi-vitamins, not sure about those, however, I don't think I'd be planning starting a family until after trades training.  Depending on the trade you have applied for and availability of the courses, that could be more than six months.

trentonmilwife said:
So are we allowed to bring moisturizer, facewash, hairspray, hair gel, and conditioner bottles, in addition to the shaving creme, shampoo bottle and bar of soap that is on the list? My husband said they weren't allowed anything beyond shaving creme, bar soap, and shampoo (he went in 2003) and well I have long hair (but have no problem doing a bun in 30 secs or a french braid in almost the same amount of time) but I need the conditioner and would love to be able to bring moisturizer and hairspray would definitely help with the frizzies from humidity this summer.

You will have a small personal space (about 1" X 1") where you can keep those items. Definitely take some moisturizer as the air in the Mega is very dry (one of my podmates had nosebleeds all the time from the dryness) and definitely take hair gel if you have long hair that needs to be kept in place. The items on the list you mentioned are for display and I don't recommend using any of those items that you have out for inspection. There has been some discussion on this site about shadow kits and having been there, I now am of the opinion that it is imperative that you have one set for use and one for display. Several of us on my first platoon were written up for our shaving cream 'leaking' a little bit of stuff prior to an inspection. This can end up being a serious charge for 'hygiene'...no kidding, no exaggerating. They can charge you. Hygiene is serious business in basic training. A shadow kit is an absolute must. Trust me on this.

Also anyone know how the staff feels about multivitamins (I know there are posts about this but they are all more performance related)...I ask because once I'm done basic we're planning on starting a family and I wish to get my body ready ahead of time (aka, need the calcium and folic acid for 6 months in advance).... anyone have any thoughts?

We were told at first "no vitamins" but later the DS revoked that rule and allowed them. Having been very run down and very ill during my training, I will also recommend that you bring them. Put them in your private lock-up along with lots of ibuprofen and Tylenol. (The latter are allowed, just get a sticker from the pharmacists early on.) The DS never went into our personal lock-ups, even during inspection when everything else was open, so keep all necessary items there, just keep it to a minimum as the space is somewhat limited.

PMedMoe said:
trentonmilwife, you should be allowed to have the other toiletries, they just won't be part of your locker layout.  When I did basic, many moons ago, we were given our hat box as a "personal" box and could keep items not on the layout list there.  My suggestion would be to get the travel-sized items so they take up less room.

Multi-vitamins, not sure about those, however, I don't think I'd be planning starting a family until after trades training.  Depending on the trade you have applied for and availability of the courses, that could be more than six months.

That was the plan, but I'm coming in as a LOG O - Air, and trade training has a minimum 16-24 month backlog (after basic) and is only 10 weeks long forPhase 2 & 3, and then you wait another year and get phase 4. My boss, says there is a slim chance I'll get on the summer 2010 course, so odds are I'm waiting for the 2011 phase 2/3 couse. So she recommended I rethink my family plans (my plan was to wait until I was training and possibly even gone on tour) as I'll be in my mid 30's by that point and deployments aren't a plenty for HR types, so I might want to have the babies while I can.... that and my husband doesn't want to wait until he's 40 either, we've been married almost 5 years now and used to say oh we'll have kids in 4 years...well that's passed, he's fully trained now (he also was a DEO) and now I've gotten in and changed our timelines...But who knows, I've been told in Sept 09 I should know whether or not I'll be loaded on the 2010 summer course and that will decide whether or not its time for kids, but I might as well get my body ready anyways.

Good tip on smaller bottles! and I have pharmacy lables on my advil and stuff already (I'm already at a base, so I've been lucky to have access to that and I got all my shots already) And Celticgirl...you just went a few months ago right? were you guys in co-ed pods? My friend who went in Sept 08 was and I thought that was odd (well they got private rooms, but co-ed bathrooms).

trentonmilwife said:
And Celticgirl...you just went a few months ago right? were you guys in co-ed pods? My friend who went in Sept 08 was and I thought that was odd (well they got private rooms, but co-ed bathrooms).

Yes, I just returned last week, actually. I was in a few different pods and always with women only, never co-ed. I was not aware of any co-ed pods. On both platoons I was on, males and females lived separately, and you had to announce your presence in an opposite sex pod (i.e. "Man on the floor!" or "Woman on the floor!"). The opposite sex was not allowed in the pods beyond a certain time of night, and of course, 'frat' is forbidden...you were not even supposed to sit on a bed with a member of the opposite sex.

These were leadership platoons, mind you. I don't know if it's different for recruits, but you mentioned you are going Log, so I would say you will not likely have to worry about a co-ed situation, and you will likely be in the blue sector and have your own room (a modicum of privacy!) as opposed to living in the much more open (so I've heard, but not witnessed) green sector.

My fiance is an Air Log, by the way. Good trade. ;)

Jen said:
Good2go, what are the new physical standards?

Are they being changed from what is currently up on the CF website? I only ask because I am focusing on getting in the best shape I can for Basic, and I am working towards the goals set out on the website.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

This is a great thread, as it brought up some things I never even thought about  :nod:

01 Apr has come and gone and most info on the mods that I hear is still rumour / speculation.  When it is written and I hear what it is I will let you know.

How are your pushups coming along, and are you doing them to PSP stds?  IMO you should seriously consider hiring a personal trainer (you could share the sessions with a friend to cut down on costs) to increase and improve your upper body strength.  If you live near a mil base, you could visit and check with PSP to see if they can make a recommendation for a trainer -- some of the PSP staff moonlight as trainers.  Also, upon entering the gym there will prolly be a notice board and personal trainers often advertise on this.  Ensure that whatever trainer you get knows exactly what the stds are for the tricep pushups, else you may be wasting your dollars.

The regs (prior to 01 Apr so they may have changed) were that you women had to do a min of two pushups on the CF EXPRES in order to go to plt.  If you did not make this, you went to WFT (Warrior Fitness Trg) for a max of 90 trg days until you succeeded in the min.  Now (01 Apr onwards) if you do not make the min then you prolly are getting sent home, although the regs are still unclear.  HOWEVER do not have the goal of just making that min of two pushups, because you will be required to completely pass the test before you leave ELRFC.  Several of the grads (male and female) pass the BMQ crse but do not pass the CF EXPRES test at the end.  These mbrs have to go to WFT until they can pass the test.  You do NOT want to stay at ELRFC any longer than you have to.

Once you can do 2-3 perfect pushups, you should be able to add about 1-2 to your ability each week.  It is very frustrating at the beginning but you will be successful if you persevere.  If you are at 0-1 pushups right now it can take a month to get to that 2-3 level but you will be able to do it.  The mil pushups require you to use muscles that as a woman you normally do not use:  triceps, delts, pecs, lats.  These will need to be developed with an agressive weight trg prog.  Most women start at 0 for triceps pushups -- I certainly did!  I can do 20 now and I am in my 30s -- and so can you with patience and perseverance.

You should also be doing a great deal of core exercises, working the core from all directions.  I would highly recommend taking a core ex class at a civ fit club several times a week.  Merely being able to pass the situp test is not an indicator that your core ability is up to snuff.  You will be less apt to get an injury if you are strong.

You should be able to run 3-4K at a min pace of 6 mph.  If you struggle with shin splints, visit a Running Room branch and see if they have any seminars on proper running strides so that you do not aggravate the shin splints.  Get a good pair of sneakers while you are there and some coolmax socks.  Sneakers are an investment.  Pay the bucks and get some good ones!  I have high endurance for running, but I was not fast.  I started doing HIIT (high intensity interval trg) on the treadmill (30 secs 6mph, then 30 secs 7mph, then 30 secs 8mph, then 30 secs 7mph, then 30 secs 6mph) with an incline of 1.  Repeat, repeat, repeat for 30 mins or so.  This was an amazingly effective program.  If you are not a good runner now (meaning you can not jog for 30 mins non-stop), get on a walk-jog program ASAP.

Most people do not prepare for forced marches.  You can start now.  A hiking program with a backpack or weighted vest will help to prepare you.  Do not be a hero with the weight on your back especially at the first!  Walking poles are also a good investment so that you can continue with your upper body endurance.  Work on your walking form on a treadmill.  I do not recommend hiking with long strides; shorten your stride.  A walking speed between 3.8 and 4.2 mph (my speed estimate for FFO) will make you G2G for plt.

By-the-bye, you will not be permitted to use the elevators whilst at ELRFC.  Start taking the stairs now and you will save yourself alot of aches and pains when you are on crse.  The Stair Master is a bit helpful in working these muscles, but it is not the same as acually walking on stairs.  If you have access to a bldg with many flts of stairs you could incorporate this into your cardio routine.  When I lived in a highrise apt bldg, I would start on 1 walk up to 3, do as many proper pushups as I could, climb up to 5, do pushups, etc, for about 30 min.  One of the best workouts you can do.

Wow, it looks like a lot of work!  Remember that you are in training now for training later.  Break it up into two separate workouts a day strength trg in one session and cardio/core in another session.  Mix up what you do.  Get lots of sleep and improve your nutrition.  Lose that extra weight if you have any.

Just my 2 cents...

Wow! Great advice, thank you very much!

I have been going to gym regularly for about two years now. I have managed to drop about 40lbs, but I would like to lose about 20 more.

I can jog at a reasonable pace for 40+ minutes, right now I am working on my speed. I will incorporate your interval speed work into my routine and see how that goes.

My push ups need work, that's for sure. I can't do a proper one... yet. But I will. I hired a personal trainer and she is helping me build my strength with a focus on the muscles used to do a proper tricep push up.

I am constantly working on my eating habits and focusing on my cardio and strength training, but I am nervous that I might get the call before I am ready.

Jen:  the triceps push up requires you to use muscles that most women are generally underdeveloped.  Try doing pushups in proper form (your whole body should look like a plank -- no butt in the air / no sinking knees) on an elevated bar until you can do them on the floor.  You need nine to pass the test (if F / under 35).  Do four sets of 10.  Also, isometric bench presses / bridges (planks) with weights on your back min 45 secs / bench presses varying the stance you hold the bar / triceps dips / triceps extensions / triceps push downs / reverse push ups / rows.  Discuss the above with your trainer and take a day off in between if you do the above for three days a week.  Your trainer needs to understand that if you are not doing the pushups in proper form they will NOT count.

A CF Expres manual...  Show this to your trg so he understands your objs.

http://lists.rmc.ca/athletics/pe/EXPRES/CF_EXPRES_Operations_Manual_e.pdf

Get rid of that extra 10 lbs of fat of the 20 lbs you est you need to lose; you may want to keep an extra 10 lbs in reserve as you will lose weight on BMQ.  Keep in mind that the SCALE may not budge since you are doing musculation.  That's prolly a good thing if that occurs.  Go by how your body looks not by what the scale says.

BTW the min pushup requirement is still two pushups for females.  If the CFRC gives you a start date and you can not fulfill this requirement, you should own up to it stating that you are on a prog to negate this pers fit short-coming.  I believe they will play ball with you and hold off in sending you to St-Jean -- I could be wrong though.

It sounds like you are doing great!  I hope you get the results you want soon!

trentonmilwife said:
Good tip on smaller bottles! and I have pharmacy lables on my advil and stuff already (I'm already at a base, so I've been lucky to have access to that and I got all my shots already) And Celticgirl...you just went a few months ago right? were you guys in co-ed pods? My friend who went in Sept 08 was and I thought that was odd (well they got private rooms, but co-ed bathrooms).

I can answer the co-ed spaces, I finished basic a little under a year ago and depending on the space available, if you are in the blue sector, you could end up in a co-ed pod.  They prefer not to do this; however, it does occasionally happen.  Separate rooms; however, in the larger pods that mixing would happen there is a men's washroom and a women's washroom for use.  You do not share bathrooms, also you should be fully dressed at all times whether you are in a co-ed pod or not as you platoon mates will be in and out of the pod often as you clean, sew, do homework, etc.

Well I am sorta wondering what do women do in the Armoured Corps when they are stuck in a tank or lav for hours? when they have the period i mean?  :tank:

Also the same with physical activity during BMQ?  swimming etc.. ?

I looked on other posted and couldn't find any info on this one. haha 
thankx

Hey!

I don't know if you have seen the topic... tips for women
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/24969.0/topicseen.html

They mostly talk about taking the pill continously or any other medication that can give you less periods a year.

As for in the LAV... I have no idea, but even the guys can understand... a menstrual emergency can be compared to an urgent number "2" ;D... I guess somehow in the army you get used to less privacy... and you do what you have to do... but how it is done... is still a mystery

So anybody can explain how would you treat an urgent number "2" when you are stuck in a LAV? Are there any options?  ;D

Back