• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Advice for women on BMQ and other courses [MERGED]

PMedMoe said:
Depo Provera usually takes at least two to three shots before you will stop having a period.  It is also not intended for long term use (over 2 years).  Another side effect is weight gain, although I suspect that on BMQ that might not be an issue.  Realistically, it would be great to start at least six months before a tour, however, to take it just not to have a period during BMQ seems a bit extreme.  The only time I would worry about having a period is during the field phase.  Can one just continue taking the pill (ignore the placebo ones at the end of the pack) to prevent having one at that time?  I must admit, in my time on the pill, I never tried that.  As a matter of fact, in BMQ, I don't even think I thought about it.

Depo Provera

Side note:  Tulard Ard, are you a Mackenzie?
e23109.gif

The only ones I've seen that have gained weight from using Depo Provera were already overweight, or did no physical activity. So, if anyones worried about gaining weight, I wouldn't. Although, I don't think it works as well as my family doctor told me it would. The annoying random bleeding IS more of a hindrance, and its starting to tick me off. Hopefully, I can find some alternative, since I don't really see any point in continuing to take the shot if it's not doing what I hoped it would. ;) "There's a 10% chance the bleeding will continue." Argh! I already had my second shot, and I might be leaving for BMQ soon, so I'm scrambling for any sort of quick fix I can bring with me.

Any sort of BC pills that anyone would vouch for?

Cheers
:salute:

My experience with Depo was that it took three shots to stop my periods.  I never had any random bleeding.

On a side note, I have difficulty with your statement that people who gain weight while on Depo are either already overweight or not physically active.  I assure you in my case, that neither statement is accurate.  If anything, I was underweight and it's pretty hard to be physically inactive on tour.

I have tried to take birth control pills continuously before (with the approval of my doctor) and it turned out beeing worse than having a period. I was continuously bleeding, so if you get a chance, try it before you get to BMQ just to see how your body reacts to it...

PMedMoe said:
My experience with Depo was that it took three shots to stop my periods.  I never had any random bleeding.

On a side note, I have difficulty with your statement that people who gain weight while on Depo are either already overweight or not physically active.  I assure you in my case, that neither statement is accurate.  If anything, I was underweight and it's pretty hard to be physically inactive on tour.

Agh, I don't think I'll make it to my third shot. Your periods stopped completely after it?

Sorry sorry! I must be mistaken then, I wasn't sure if you were speaking from experience or not. I just spoke from the fact that I'd had friends who weren't in the best of shape that complained about weight gain but they weren't doing much besides watching TV, eating junk, and using that as a crutch. I was kinda worried about the weight gain thing but my doctor assured me (he assured a lot of things) that I wouldn't, how much weight didja gain?

I'll try finding some birth control pills to give them a test run before BMQ. the_girlfriend, was it some kind of symptoms that made them worse than having your period?

Haha, damn, there should be some quick fix for this.

Cheers,
:p

SFB said:
If you bring any battery operated devices, ensure you bring a back up back batteries. And also ensure the noise from those devices arn't annoying to your room mates.

I just knew that was comming out ( no pun intended ) rechargables are the way to go for that for most batteries. that way your.......... flashlight will never stop working

Something to add that was not mentioned.  For the ladies out there either going to BMQ or on tour,  if you are living (and sleeping ) in close proximity of other women for a long period of time ( pun fully intended) expect to have your cycle change.  As a group you will start to have your periods closer together.  Something to due with the phermones is my understanding although for the life of me I cant figure out nature does that.  Maybe to give us men a hell week?

helpup said:
I just knew that was comming out ( no pun intended ) rechargables are the way to go for that for most batteries. that way your.......... flashlight will never stop working

And you had to go all the way back to 2005 to find that response??  ::)

Anyway, back on topic.  Yes, I never had a period while I was on Depo.  Not sure if that's the norm or if the random bleeding is.  How much weight did I gain?  Hard to tell as I think some of it was just the body "adjusting" again.  :-[ A few pounds, but as I said, I don't think you'd have to worry about it during BMQ.

helpup said:
Something to add that was not mentioned.  For the ladies out there either going to BMQ or on tour,  if you are living (and sleeping ) in close proximity of other women for a long period of time ( pun fully intended) expect to have your cycle change.  As a group you will start to have your periods closer together.  Something to due with the phermones is my understanding although for the life of me I cant figure out nature does that.  Maybe to give us men a hell week?

that's a pretty normal occurence... but I LOL'd at hell week!

Keep the puns coming, Helpup.  :p

Thanks! Glad some of that's cleared up, gaining a few pounds not bad. Although I wish I stopped the random bleeding/"spotting" before I left to BMQ, I have a feeling I'll be bringing a case-full of tampons. I guess everyone's body reacts to it differently and mines having a riot against it. Might I add, BC's pretty scary with their million side effects, "may cause bloating, nausea, spotting, weight-gain and non-cancerous liver tumours (rarely)." Geez.

PMedMoe said:
Depo Provera usually takes at least two to three shots before you will stop having a period.  It is also not intended for long term use (over 2 years).  Another side effect is weight gain, although I suspect that on BMQ that might not be an issue.  Realistically, it would be great to start at least six months before a tour, however, to take it just not to have a period during BMQ seems a bit extreme.  The only time I would worry about having a period is during the field phase.  Can one just continue taking the pill (ignore the placebo ones at the end of the pack) to prevent having one at that time?  I must admit, in my time on the pill, I never tried that.  As a matter of fact, in BMQ, I don't even think I thought about it.

Depo Provera

Side note:  Tulard Ard, are you a Mackenzie?
e23109.gif

Hey Moe, HELL YES I am!! lol and proud of it=) Why are you one as well?

GreenGoblin said:
The only ones I've seen that have gained weight from using Depo Provera were already overweight, or did no physical activity. So, if anyones worried about gaining weight, I wouldn't. Although, I don't think it works as well as my family doctor told me it would. The annoying random bleeding IS more of a hindrance, and its starting to tick me off. Hopefully, I can find some alternative, since I don't really see any point in continuing to take the shot if it's not doing what I hoped it would. ;) "There's a 10% chance the bleeding will continue." Argh! I already had my second shot, and I might be leaving for BMQ soon, so I'm scrambling for any sort of quick fix I can bring with me.

Any sort of BC pills that anyone would vouch for?

Cheers
:salute:
With any weight gain with birth control pills/rings/shots/patches there is always a risk of slight weight gain, but this is only water retention and should not affect physical performance by any means. Be sure to stay hydrated and whatnot though. Throughout my basic I took Minestrin 1/20 (also called Loestrin 1.5/30) and it seriously made my periods light and they only lasted for maybe 3 days. I really have never had "lady problems" when on my period in the field. Just come prepared!

About the braids, my course staff never let us wear our hair in braids as it was "camp regulations" to wear hair in a bun while in garrison. Although this is stupid, and it's in the Pam that females can wear their hair in one or two braids (or even cornrows in a bun for that matter) just be aware of this. I wasn't in the mood to argue with the Sargent Major on how I was "allowed" to wear my hair, and quite frankly a lot of men are completely clueless on how females are allowed to wear their hair and why we have different ways (since wearing a bun under a helmet causes the helmet to tip forward and limit your vision half the time :p). It is much more comfortable with braids in, that's for sure.

I'll see if I can pick up Minestrin 1/20 or Loestrin 1.5/30 at the local shoppers (if its compatible with Depo Provera). Thanks, INFLAR!  :)

I wish I hadn't cut my hair because I might've got the chance to put it in a braid, or if I wasn't allowed to braid it, atleast put it in a small bun. Blah. Hopefully I can figure something out with letting it grow again. Since I have it in some kind of boy-cut, would that mean I have to keep it trimmed while I'm up at BMQ?

GreenGoblin said:
I wish I hadn't cut my hair because I might've got the chance to put it in a braid, or if I wasn't allowed to braid it, atleast put it in a small bun. Blah. Hopefully I can figure something out with letting it grow again. Since I have it in some kind of boy-cut, would that mean I have to keep it trimmed while I'm up at BMQ?

You might want to, just to make things easier.  You can get a "chit" to grow out your hair but I think in BMQ it might be more trouble than it's worth.  Keep in mind that females' hair is allowed to reach the bottom of the collar before it need to be put up (or before you need a chit).

PMedMoe said:
You might want to, just to make things easier.  You can get a "chit" to grow out your hair but I think in BMQ it might be more trouble than it's worth.  Keep in mind that females' hair is allowed to reach the bottom of the collar before it need to be put up (or before you need a chit).

Yeah, you've got a point. Hair is hair. I'll have to visit Mister. Barber (or whoever is supposed to cut hair around there) a few times through BMQ, then. Thanks! Hopefully I can get a chit at some point to let it grow enough to be put in a bun/and or braid.

I've got another question, too. I opened my package the other day and read over the list of things I have to bring, what did you guys wear for casual clothes? And bras, it wasn't as specific as I was told it was, it just said bras (cotton), but I heard we had to bring black sportsbras. Any insight on this stuff?

PMedMoe said:
You might want to, just to make things easier.  You can get a "chit" to grow out your hair but I think in BMQ it might be more trouble than it's worth.

I don't believe this is permitted during BMQ, actually. For what it's worth, if it were not for the fact that I am getting married this spring, I'd have lopped mine off during BMOQ. The level of maintenance involved with long hair is really high and timings are short. I ended up getting a lot of grief for my locks.  :-\

Braids were allowed to be worn with helmets, by the way, although it could depend entirely on each platoon staff. I saw lots of ladies with braids...not with their berets, however, helmets only.

OK, so, just a few clarifying points on female's hair in the military.  As long as it doesn't interfere with your headdresss and stays off your collar, it's good.  If you have short hair that's touching your collar, your platoon staff will likely tell you to get it cut, or you could request a chit to grow it out.  But if you WANT to grow it out, don't request a chit until you're told to cut it, so it gives you more time to get some length.

Otherwise, as long as your hair is out of the way (braid or bun) they don't really care how it is.  I found that my hair fell out of the braid though, cause it's layered.  Wearing the helmet requires a really low bun ( on the nape of your neck) because of the way it sits on your head.  And in the field, as long as your hair is back and out of the way, it's fine.

Seriously girls, don't make too big a deal out of this, your staff will let you know what they expect and you'll figure out what works best for you.  Long or short, it will be fine and work out one way or another. And honestly, HAIR is the least of your worries.

As for bras, take whatever sports bras you want. Thay probably won't touch them or look at them other than to make sure they're folded the same in your closet.  For inspection I had 3 different types of bras. Whatever works for you.

WRT shrt hair... you'll want to keep those hairs on your neck (the ones the stylist normally clips or shaves) clean, meaning that you can get jacked for them just like the lads.  And, they grow in quick.

If you do the GI Jane thing, remember that the staff will expect you to maintain this well, and the growing out process for the oooops factor isn't going to go over well.
You get ZERO points for going GI Jane.  Unless you want to spend about $10 every week or two on maintaining the GI Jane cut, I highly suggest you don't do it.  At the very least, recruits are expected to maintain a high level of professionalism in their appearance.  Do not give DS reasons to target you as lazy in your dress etc.

The obvious solution to the above sits is to bring clippers with you.  This prolly isn't permitted -- the lads aren't allowed clippers (although what you put in your personal area prolly isn't going to be looked into unless there is a search).  Doing a quick shave with a razer (by one of your buddies) still leaves an undesireable stubble.  Remember: you don't want to get jacked by a FEMALE Mcpl or Sgt whilst marching through the Mega.  Not a good scene although they are generally nice about it... the FIRST time.

You will never get a grow-out chit whilst in the training phases, without some incredibly awesome reason (an impending wedding doesn't count -- and I truly can not think of a valid awesome reason.  Besides, the grow out chit duration is not long enough in the phase enviro; you're DS may (although unlikely) have some patience, but you are on display for dress to every bloody instructor at ELRFC.  You mustn't give them any ammo.  As a female you are already going to stick out, which is something that may not work out for you.  Play grey!!!! 

For long hair, use gel to get the whispies in a vertical direction.  However, they are prolly still going to fall down due to the intensity and the frequent donning/removal of beret.  Lots of nuisance and you will eventually get jacked over it.

Finally, if you have nice long hair and decide to go for a shorter look before BMQ, do it BEFORE you go to ELRFC as the barber shop there is notorious for being really bad and overpriced for female cuts.  A straight or slightly layered bob (NO BANGS) cut just below the ear (or wherever your natural hair growth ends) will save you a great deal of grief and maintenance.

Finally, while I belive hair dryers are allowed, it is unlikely that you will have the time for this kind of mtce.  Come up with a game plan now, and if it takes longer than 60 seconds (at the very very long end) to get your hair in gear and looking prof, then find another option.  Do what you have to.  It WILL grow back.

Just my 2 cents.  Take it or leave it.

JABAC said:
As long as it doesn't interfere with your headdresss and stays off your collar, it's good.  If you have short hair that's touching your collar, your platoon staff will likely tell you to get it cut

Good2Go said:
WRT shrt hair... you'll want to keep those hairs on your neck (the ones the stylist normally clips or shaves) clean, meaning that you can get jacked for them just like the lads.

Both of you realize that females are allowed to have their hair touching the collar, right?

FEMALE

9.  HAIR:

a.  Hair shall not extend below the lower edge of the shirt collar.

b.  Braids, if worn, shall be styled conservatively and tied tightly, secured at the end by a knot or a small unadorned fastener.  Single braid shall be worn in the center of the back and double braids behind the shoulder.

c.  Hair shall be a maximum length, when gathered behind the head or braided, which does not extend below the top of the armpit.

One thing I really hate is visible bobby pins or barrettes.  If you have hair that is not quite long enough to put up, or one of those styles where it always falls in your face, may I suggest a different style or length during BMQ.

Oh, and Good2Go, I think females have been in the military long enough that they no longer "stick out" any more than the guys.  Just don't be a screw-up or a problem child and things will be okay.

PMedMoe said:
Oh, and Good2Go, I think females have been in the military long enough that they no longer "stick out" any more than the guys.  Just don't be a screw-up or a problem child and things will be okay.

I have to side with Good2Go on this one. In a platoon of 50-60, women can expect to number around 6-8, which makes it far easier and quicker for the DS to get to know who they are. In that way, they definitely 'stick out'. Men can play the 'grey man' game for quite a long time, but it's almost impossible for women to do so.

I used lots of gel and lots of bobby pins, but still got jacked up a lot for my hair. As G2G suggested already, the frequent changes in head dress cause a major issue for women with their hair in buns. Winter was especially bad for this...switching from beret to toque and back to beret with no time to 'fix' before getting formed up again.  :blotto: One of my big regrets was not getting a short bob before basic...I highly recommend women consider doing this!

Back