• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

‘W‘ on College Transcripts?

AndrewD83

Inactive
Reaction score
I‘m deciding if I should drop a really hard class in College at the moment. My college marks are a huge factor for the CF since I want to be a MP and am currently working on my criminology degree.

I have a really hard stats. course that I hate, the text is too hard to read, the teachers is poor and can never be found and I can‘t understand a word of the teacher assistant because English is her second language.

We already wrote one test where I got a P or a C-.

So I have a week to decide if I want to get a lower GPA because of the class or ‘W‘ on my record. Currently I am leaning to the ‘W‘ since GPA is most important thing to me at the moment.

Thoughts??

if you really want to be a MP, an get your degree in Crim, I would recommended sticking it out, an keep trying in your class

get help from other students in that class if you need to

also, if your only takin Crim, because you wanna be a MP, try going to a community college, an take up a Police Foundations course

either way, the choice is yours

Even if I drop the course in question I‘ll still get my degree but it won‘t be a transfer to SFU, which will lead me to a bachlors, masters or phd in crim.

So either way I will get my diploma...sorry I should have made that clear at the start.

Thanks for the advice DnA

A "W" won‘t do too much harm.

If you find the course too ahrd, drop it and take it again next smeester. Next time go more prepared.

I learned the hard way. I failed a course I should have dropped in my first semester. I had a tough time bringing my GPA back up. I regret not dropping the course, because it doesn‘t do me too much good now, does it?

Personally I don‘t think the W would do harm, but you might want to see if there is a math prerequsite for your 3rd or fourth year classes. I am currently in a Crim. diploma program as well and i know if you want to upgrade to the degree, then some the 3rd year classes demand a C+ or better standing in math stats.
Funny we are suffering the same problem...stats is the one class that seems to drop everyone‘s gpa‘s if not fail them....it‘s all in the formula‘s!!! :(

Thanks for the insight. I don‘t know what I am going to do yet. But Halloween is the last day to drop and get a ‘w‘so I have some time to decide if i want to suffer with another ‘w‘ on my transcrip (total of three now :( ) or suffer with a lower gpa.

I have a really hard stats. course that I hate, the text is too hard to read, the teachers is poor and can never be found and I can‘t understand a word of the teacher assistant because English is her second language.
Whoa... You just described my engineering stats class.... ;)

The quote Korus highlighted has no less than five excuses for your failure in it. Ask any university student, and they will be able to tell you of at least two classes like you one you are whining about. Mine were chem and pharm; I got through those with a B- each.

If you start quitting now (or continue quitting, it looks like), it will be that much easier and more justifiable to say "**** it" when you‘re on course on day five of your field ex, out in the rain, after carving trenches all day, while the mean Master Corporal yells at you and squashes your feelings under his heel like he would any other things of zero value.

The choice is yours, apply yourself and tough it out, or quit again.

PS - DNA, are you trade qualified yet? What university are you going to?

Marauder is bang on. My Fluid Mechanics prof was from Switzerland and sounded as though she was still taking english courses. She even dictated her notes to us! It just made deriving Bernoulli‘s Theorem that much more harder. I am an engineering grad too so I had the pleasure of going through 2 stats courses. Stick it through man, get a tutor, Coles Notes are an excellent resource as well and Shaum‘s Outlines which you can pick up at Chapters. If anything at least you know you stuck it out and will have the pleasure of your stats prof company next semester. :D

Too be honest it isn‘t a matter of quitting because it is too hard. It is a matter of saving my GPA.

At the moment it is at 3.10/4.0. Just like the other two courses, I dropped them because the teachers where crazy and I would have been below 3.0 gpa if I stuck it out.

I understand that it is okay to get one or two ‘w‘ but a third and you start to look like a quitter. So I don‘t know. I was going to call the CF today and get their option, since joining is my number one long term goal right now.

But in the end if my gpa does drop below 3.0 there will be no way I get into school of criminology at Simon Frasier University unless I spend a year or two taking *gasp* general studies!

Thanks for your thoughts guys. Keep them coming if you got something else to say. :cdn:

Personally, to an extent I don‘t think having W‘s are the end of the world . There could be situations in your life that are beyond your control that force you to drop courses, leaving you with a W. I would say not to make a trend of dropping even if it is to save your gpa cause then you may be as likely to drop in your 3rd & 4th year classes, which will be that much more difficult.
Also keep in mind your teacher‘s marking scale. I know mine has 4 midterms and a final exam. If we do poorly on the midterms, but well on those sections in the final, then we get scaled up because we have proven we have learned the material.

Back