• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Trudeau Popularity - or not. Nanos research

I'm sure the current Liberal retreat will come up with great ideas to fix the problems they created.

Double down on current policies after reviews by self-proclaimed and liberal appointed "experts".

If this were a smart LPC they would let JT know his time is up and him and few of his lackies are out.

But unfortunately we don't have a smart LPC right now.

I'm sure the current Liberal retreat will come up with great ideas to fix the problems they created.

Double down on current policies after reviews by self-proclaimed and liberal appointed "experts".
which coincidentally serves to point one of the principal reasons for their position: they listen to no voices but their own and they have ensured that no one that shares some beliefs but not all is allowed in the party: witness their eliminating all candidates that oppose abortion as a for instance. Every decision making board needs a well-accepted voice that will speak up and say yes, but. And they need the wisdom to listen to that voice and take what is said to heart in their decision making

If this were a smart LPC they would let JT know his time is up and him and few of his lackies are out.

or they are very smart and have accepted the notion of sitting on the bench for a term whilst they rebuild rather than pulling out the knives now. Trudeau goes down to defeat stands up on election night and gives a fare well chat about accepting the will of the people ya da ya da ya da. Party appointed leader assumes control in parliament whilst the liberal road show goes out and conducts a number of well publicized city hall consultations in the meanwhile watching as the pcs try and dig out the mess they have left. All is sweetness and light

As I’ve said before, the Tories’ biggest threat is not the LPC, but soft Dippers scared shitless of the CPC.

If my math is correct, a 17 point lead shrinks to a 6 point lead, which could mean the difference between a majority or a minority for the Tories.

IMHO, the non-Liberal/CPC parties need to hammer the Liberals, or they will be even more irrelevant. For them, it’s a matter of survival. If Singh goes hammer and tongs at Poilievre, the NDP should turf him immediately. But they won’t because they’re politically inept.

And the CPC will have to get disciplined and reign in their Bozo Caucus like Harper did. The bozo eruptions will send those “nervous Nellies” to the Libs no matter what Singh does.

So you're saying that a second order effect might be to increase pay in skilled trades, drawing labour into that sector, and increasing capacity there?
Increasing skilled trades pay will do nothing. As someone in the trades whether your paying me 50$ a hour or 100$ a hour it doesn’t change how much work I do.

What you need to do is make the training/apprenticeships more accessible. It is extremely difficult to get apprenticeships in this country. Even if you get one most employers aren’t interested in training only getting you working on one specific task and ignoring the rest.

Do like the UK did in the 60s, have students who are 16 start apprenticeships instead of finishing highschool (gasp, no requirement to get the GED? Whatever shall we do). Make it government run and no requirement for employers to hire you after completion. Make apprenticeships union exempt so as to ensure the youth are getting into them instead of the 59 year olds.

Throwing money at the problem does nothing, actual planning and leadership does. The classic boomer approach of throwing cash at it doesn’t create tradespeople and won’t solve the problem. Too many short sighted people around to make that happen.

Increasing skilled trades pay will do nothing. As someone in the trades whether your paying me 50$ a hour or 100$ a hour it doesn’t change how much work I do.

What you need to do is make the training/apprenticeships more accessible. It is extremely difficult to get apprenticeships in this country. Even if you get one most employers aren’t interested in training only getting you working on one specific task and ignoring the rest.

Do like the UK did in the 60s, have students who are 16 start apprenticeships instead of finishing highschool (gasp, no requirement to get the GED? Whatever shall we do). Make it government run and no requirement for employers to hire you after completion. Make apprenticeships union exempt so as to ensure the youth are getting into them instead of the 59 year olds.

Throwing money at the problem does nothing, actual planning and leadership does. The classic boomer approach of throwing cash at it doesn’t create tradespeople and won’t solve the problem. Too many short sighted people around to make that happen.
Keeping the unions out is a big part of it. They keep apprenticeships artificially low in order to create a shortage of trained people, in order to keep wages higher and jobs tighter.

I must be reading that poll graph wrong.

Where does the 35% come from? The only figure that comes close is if all of the NDP, BQ, Green, and Other columns were totalled up, which makes 36%.

NDPers only = 20% of the electorate

7% would switch
13% would stay loyal

7 of 20 is 35%

I believe

Increasing rates draws more people in, with the simultaneous benefit of paying those already in a higher rate.

Keeping the unions out is a big part of it. They keep apprenticeships artificially low in order to create a shortage of trained people, in order to keep wages higher and jobs tighter.
Its more the companies than the unions. Since the 80s they basically stopped training any apprentices and increased the standards wanted for the few they did train (went from maybe highschool to having a diploma in a related field). What they did instead of training apprentices was hire ticketed tradespeople from elsewhere.

Where the unions come in is part of why companies raised the standards to get a apprenticeship is because if they didn’t it would go to the most senior candidate. No word of a lie my grandfathers company was forced to train a 59 year old. That 59 year old ended up finishing their ticket and working for two years after that. Vs training a 18-25 year old who you can reasonably expect 40 years of work out of.

Its cheaper to hire externally ticketed than train apprentices. Apprentices make substantially more mistakes, screw things up, and their work isn’t as reliable. That being said you need them to become the next generation of journeymen.

By making apprenticeships ran by the government without companies directly hiring them your reducing the risk to the company in that they don’t have to retain the apprentice once ticketed as opposed to currently where they have to even if they are a dud employee. It also means if they are a poor tradesperson odds are they can find another career if they are young as opposed to the current system which many of the apprentices I went through with are in there late 30s-40s.

The gatekeeping is huge in the trades. Many require diplomas just to start a apprenticeship which before didn’t even require high school. We need to start breaking that down to create the tradespeople needed.

Saying we need more and throwing money at it just makes me more money, it doesn’t solve the problems which prevent people from getting to where I am at.

Do like the UK did in the 60s, have students who are 16 start apprenticeships instead of finishing highschool
No need to be so drastic- need to do a better job promoting and delivering OYAP (Ontario Youth Apprenticeship Program) within schools - especially urban ones. A big part of that needs to be parent focused.

For those that haven't been exposed- OYAP is an extension of the co-operative education program (work for secondary school credits) that converts it to (work for secondary school credits AND apprenticeship hours).

Question: doesn't the german system have two senior channels, one that is academic aimed at university candidates and the other that is trade oriented?

They also don't have a mechanism for that. Martin pulled up the ladder when he ousted Chrétien.

Back