• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

He has to appeal to Ontario's left and be seen to be a moderate. There's an election coming up.
Meh. I don’t think this is about him appeasing the left. He is not getting that vote no matter what. But he is definitely trying to appease the moderates.

I don’t like the guy and I am sure he sees political opportunity in this. But I don’t actually believe he wants violence.

I'm not making a jab at the PM. I don't think he wants individuals hurt specifically, but why wouldn't he want violence to break out bigger picture?

He's already worked overtime to vilify and dehumanize people who hold the wrong opinions.

He's no stranger to using violence to leverage political opportunity like the 22 murders in Nova Scotia.

He's already situated the estimate with the racist misogynist nazi truckers from the west. We heard about the US January 6th concerns- and we got a few trash flags, bouncy castles, isolated incidents of people being assholes, a street festival ambiance in a lot of places, and blaring horns.

Violence would justify the narrative he and his party has been pushing. Members of his own party are beginning to break ranks and talk about him dividing the country. Can you look at the language he's used and his actions and say he's not trying to divide Canadians along political lines rather than bring us together?

He called a $640M snap election no one else wanted in the middle of the pandemic because he thought he was polling well.

There's opportunity in violence and he's opportunistic. Violence, which many Canadians would abhor, is the path to a majority government for him.

I'm not making a jab at the PM. I don't think he wants individuals hurt specifically, but why wouldn't he want violence to break out bigger picture?

He's already worked overtime to vilify and dehumanize people who hold the wrong opinions.

He's no stranger to using violence to leverage political opportunity like the 22 murders in Nova Scotia.

He's already situated the estimate with the racist misogynist nazi truckers from the west. We heard about the US January 6th concerns- and we got a few trash flags, bouncy castles, isolated incidents of people being assholes, a street festival ambiance in a lot of places, and blaring horns.

Violence would justify the narrative he and his party has been pushing. Members of his own party are beginning to break ranks and talk about him dividing the country. Can you look at the language he's used and his actions and say he's not trying to divide Canadians along political lines rather than bring us together?

He called a $640M snap election no one else wanted in the middle of the pandemic because he thought he was polling well.

There's opportunity in violence and he's opportunistic. Violence, which many Canadians would abhor, is the path to a majority government for him.
Oh, I’m sure he will capitalise on any violent action. I just don’t think he really wants violence.

If parents start getting separated from their children and protesters lose their pets when police arrest them I guarantee you the CPC will also capitalise on that imagery. But I don’t for a second think the conservatives actually want to see that happen.

Political opportunism. They will take it where they can get it.

Just another level of nuance, here.

At least one media source, written by former MSM reporters who've been quoted a bit on these threads, show a bit of a pattern at both the Ottawa and Coutts protest areas. It appears there were concurrent activities going on:
  • A more relaxed bouncy-castle-free-BBQ kinda grouping, and
  • A smaller, more tense, circumspect tightly-controlled locus at least a bit away from the more relaxed/festive protest node.
Both can exist at the same time - hence both sides being able to show their preferred tile in the mosaic that is this protest movement (a lot of the disagreement is over what proportion of mosaic the extremist elements make up - PM's statements can be seen to paint most/all the group, while others say you can't judge a whole mosaic by some of the tiles). In the case of Coutts, there's more than one media report out there saying there was a dismantling of the site(s) because many didn't know about the ... intensity of some of the few.

Doug Ford could literally have called on the CDS to provide CAF assistance per the NDA but chose not to and resolved other actions quite peacefully. No reason why Trudeau couldn’t have shown some real leadership.
Or Ottawa police ....

Just another level of nuance, here.

At least one media source, written by former MSM reporters who've been quoted a bit on these threads, show a bit of a pattern at both the Ottawa and Coutts protest areas. It appears there were concurrent activities going on:
  • A more relaxed bouncy-castle-free-BBQ kinda grouping, and
  • A smaller, more tense, circumspect tightly-controlled locus at least a bit away from the more relaxed/festive protest node.
Both can exist at the same time - hence both sides being able to show their preferred tile in the mosaic that is this protest movement (a lot of the disagreement is over what proportion of mosaic the extremist elements make up - PM's statements can be seen to paint most/all the group, while others say you can't judge a whole mosaic by some of the tiles). In the case of Coutts, there's more than one media report out there saying there was a dismantling of the site(s) because many didn't know about the ... intensity of some of the few.
The bouncy castle is a tactic. The hard core more sinister side of this is using that as a method to impede police action. They know what it will look like when police show up and have to take action. The people being used and believing their propaganda unfortunately don’t know any better. They are far more organised than some would believe and they have been very underestimated. I see a whole new area of study in regards to what’s happened here.

The bouncy castle is a tactic. The hard core more sinister side of this is using that as a method to impede police action. They know what it will look like when police show up and have to take action. The people being used and believing their propaganda unfortunately don’t know any better. They are far more organised than some would believe and they have been very underestimated. I see a whole new area of study in regards to what’s happened here.
That's true, but it also opens the door to a shit-ton of people who are there for one reason maybe not knowing exactly how ... passionate some of the people "running the show" are. Even some of the organizers of some of the Coutts protest seemed to be surprised by what some of the core were about, so I'm prepared to believe that the worst elements should be pitchforked out while a load of the other participants may not know how bad the worst elements are - especially given the level of distrust of MSM and government among some/many.

The PM of the day didn't enact the EA in 1990 despite the deployment of several thousand troops in an ALEA role across two provinces to deal with violence, including three killings, at Kahnesatake and Akwesasne plus barricading and damage to critical infrastructure (Mercier Bridge).

Nor did the PM of the day enact the EA in 2008 in response to the month-long closing of a major border crossing in Cornwall to protest the arming of CBSA officers at that port of entry which was - at that time - located on indigenous lands.

The PM of the day didn't enact the EA in 1990 despite the deployment of several thousand troops in an ALEA role across two provinces to deal with violence, including three killings, at Kahnesatake and Akwesasne plus barricading and damage to critical infrastructure (Mercier Bridge).

Nor did the PM of the day enact the EA in 2008 in response to the month-long closing of a major border crossing in Cornwall to protest the arming of CBSA officers at that port of entry which was - at that time - located on indigenous lands.
I think that we can all agree that the EA is not required and has not met any threshold to be used.

And to make matters worse, the PM has cancelled debate on the issue today.

I think that we can all agree that the EA is not required and has not met any threshold to be used.

Maybe the debate was cancelled due to the operation today on Wellington. I never like to give the current PMO any kudos but maybe this was done on advice from the Ops Centre?

Maybe the debate was cancelled due to the operation today on Wellington. I never like to give the current PMO any kudos but maybe this was done on advice from the Ops Centre?
I think that is the excuse. Parliament has been able to function virtual and in person throughout the pandemic. No one has impeded MPs from getting in. So it’s a weak excuse to stifle debate when they can in fact keep operating.

So as not to have Government break the Emergencies Act law itself, it must still formally give consideration to the Declaration and put the motion on Monday (7 days after declaration, which was the 14th), otherwise it contravenes Sect.58 of the Act.

Consideration of Declaration of Emergency​

Tabling in Parliament when sitting
  • 58 (1) Subject to subsection (4), a motion for confirmation of a declaration of emergency, signed by a minister of the Crown, together with an explanation of the reasons for issuing the declaration and a report on any consultation with the lieutenant governors in council of the provinces with respect to the declaration, shall be laid before each House of Parliament within seven sitting days after the declaration is issued.
Summoning Parliament or House
  • (2) If a declaration of emergency is issued during a prorogation of Parliament or when either House of Parliament stands adjourned, Parliament or that House, as the case may be, shall be summoned forthwith to sit within seven days after the declaration is issued.
Summoning Parliament
(3) If a declaration of emergency is issued at a time when the House of Commons is dissolved, Parliament shall be summoned to sit at the earliest opportunity after the declaration is issued.​

Tabling in Parliament after summoned
(4) Where Parliament or a House of Parliament is summoned to sit in accordance with subsection (2) or (3), the motion, explanation and report described in subsection (1) shall be laid before each House of Parliament or that House of Parliament, as the case may be, on the first sitting day after Parliament or that House is summoned.​

Consideration
(5) Where a motion is laid before a House of Parliament as provided in subsection (1) or (4), that House shall, on the sitting day next following the sitting day on which the motion was so laid, take up and consider the motion.​

Vote
(6) A motion taken up and considered in accordance with subsection (5) shall be debated without interruption and, at such time as the House is ready for the question, the Speaker shall forthwith, without further debate or amendment, put every question necessary for the disposition of the motion.​

So as not to have Government break the Emergencies Act law itself, it must still formally give consideration to the Declaration and put the motion on Monday (7 days after declaration, which was the 14th), otherwise it contravenes Sect.58 of the Act.
I'm sure he's trying to find a way to call another snap election and dismiss Parliament today...

Or, maybe he's trying to run out the clock so the motion dies.

Back