• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

Who says they are?

I'm watching live streams and its still very much a party right now.

Lots of cops around said party but a party none the less.

Warnings and subsequent warning have been issued. Verbal and written.
Secured perimeter has been established.
Increased enforcement and presence
One of the lead organisers has been arrested

More at eleven.

Essentially it is slowly escalating until a bigger move is made.

Some of the comments here... I don't know what to say...
Ultimately I don't view this as politics, polls, majority wishes or anything similar. This is about respect of the views of Canadians and their rights - All Canadians period. Whether someone thinks the views are right wrong or otherwise is immaterial. That stuff is at the fundamental core of a liberal democratic state.
Note the operative word in "liberal democratic" is liberal with a small l, not democratic.
Just because a majority thinks something does not make it right. Just because something will get you more votes does not make it right.

I am sorry but those that think that are ultimately the largest long term threat to the very survival of any liberal democratic society.
Just because various levels of government have handled themselves poorly for over at least a year does not mean they get to handle themselves even worse in order to try and solve the problems they own a large part in creating.
Public will drives policy as well.

Warnings and subsequent warning have been issued. Verbal and written.
Secured perimeter has been established.
Increased enforcement and presence
One of the lead organisers has been arrested

More at eleven.

Essentially it is slowly escalating until a bigger move is made.
Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.

Does that mean that all policy is right as long as a majority supports it or at least don't oppose it?
It mean, that in a democracy, one ignores the voter at their peril.

We have seen this before and we will see this again.

Alan Kurdi.

Housing prices.

Afghan withdrawl.

How the public and voters expressed their feelings on those shaped elections. This is no different.

The public wants this to stop. More so on the LPC NDP side of the spectrum, the ones the LPC is particularly sensitive to, as it is their base. But the public at large wants this to stop.

The government is moving on this because of public pressure.

Is it legal/constitutional? The house of commons, the senate and courts will decide if fits the letter of the law.

Is this political gold for the LPC right now? Yes.

I see a protester resisting arrest. What did you see?
Of course you do. What you miss is the protestors reported this one problem child to the police and the police removed that person. Another person associated to the protest kept the crowd appraised and calm while the police removed the problem.

How did you come to that conclusion?
The whole point of liberal constitutional democracy is that the rights of the minority are protected against the mob of the majority. Doesn’t mean the minority calls the shots, just that they are not persecuted.

I would Hazzard to guess 66% of the people who support use of the EA have no idea what it actually means and the Pandora's box that is being opened.

As usual Canadians not paying attention and instead following nice socks and empty platitudes...
When liberals won’t enforce the law, they will hire authoritarians that will.

The whole point of liberal constitutional democracy is that the rights of the minority are protected against the mob of the majority. Doesn’t mean the minority calls the shots, just that they are not persecuted.
Are they being persecuted?

Of course you do. What you miss is the protestors reported this one problem child to the police and the police removed that person. Another person associated to the protest kept the crowd appraised and calm while the police removed the problem.
I didn’t miss that at all. I assumed you thought the police were being heavy handed. Sorry I misunderstood. Yes. Kudos for the police who handled this and kudos to those around who kept calm.

Emergencies Act continues:

Freeland said the government feels "great sorrow" about these actions but insisted they were necessary to "defend our democracy" and to "restore peace and order."

When they weren’t bubbling with glee, they tried their best to appear to be proceeding with great sorrow.

Using powers granted under the Emergencies Act, the country's banks and other financial institutions have been ordered to stop doing business with people who are "directly or indirectly" associated with the anti-vaccine mandate protests that have seriously disrupted Ottawa's downtown core.

Directly is perhaps clear enough, but what is an ‘indirect’ association?

Freeland was repeatedly asked by reporters to state how many accounts have gone dormant since these new financial powers were enacted.

While holding a list of the accounts affected, Freeland said she couldn't be specific because she did not want to "jeopardize operational actions" related to ongoing police work.

"I have those numbers here in front of me. They were reviewed last night by me and Prime Minister Trudeau. I'm not going to share them with you right now," she said, adding that more details will be shared in "due course."
So she won’t give the numbers out, so then why even bring the paper to wave around in front of reporters? Nya-nya-nya-nya-nyaaaa-yaaa…. Maybe Freeland was taking lessons from the drama teacher?

To me, invoking the EA is like using a sledgehammer to hammer a finishing nail when they were trying to push it in by hand before.
There was no reason to. The police just had to do their jobs and the leadership needed to do theirs.

What may seem like political gold for the LPC right now to some may turn to lead when the Inquiry that is automatically triggered when this is said and done brings more to light.

It mean, that in a democracy, one ignores the voter at their peril.

We have seen this before and we will see this again.

Alan Kurdi.

Housing prices.

Afghan withdrawl.

How the public and voters expressed their feelings on those shaped elections. This is no different.

The public wants this to stop. More so on the LPC NDP side of the spectrum, the ones the LPC is particularly sensitive to, as it is their base. But the public at large wants this to stop.

The government is moving on this because of public pressure.

Is it legal/constitutional? The house of commons, the senate and courts will decide if fits the letter of the law.

Is this political gold for the LPC right now? Yes.
You did not answer my question though. Expressing feelings, public pressure, ignoring voters etc. has nothing to do with my question.

This is the difference between politicians and statesmen. Politicians don’t lead they react and follow, statesmen lead and will explain what is needed and why and perhaps offer truths that the public needs to hear even if unpopular.

The EA is completely unnecessary.

There was no reason to. The police just had to do their jobs and the leadership needed to do theirs.

What may seem like political gold for the LPC right now to some may turn to lead when the Inquiry that is automatically triggered when this is said and done brings more to light.
Enquiry? Are those still a thing in Ottawa? Pshaw, kid's stuff to these veterans of the Ethics Wars.

Diagolon is an excellent example of how irony poisoning can be used to warp an online joke into a movement.

Irony poisoning is a term used to describe the process of desensitization to extremist, hateful rhetoric by the use of “humour,” and especially on the internet -- memes -- that assist in sliding a person further into the spheres of fascism, white supremacy and violence.

When asked why Diagolon targets communism, Simons said the fear of “encroaching communism” is rife amongst conspiracy theorist movements as an insult against government policies, but in neo-fascist and militia movements it stands for something else.

“The fear of communism actually comes from Nazism and neo-Nazism where Communist is a placeholder for Jews,” she said. “In neo-Nazi circles…that's why you see anti-Communist symbols and imagery amongst neo-Nazis and racist skinheads and things like that. So this idea of being opposed to communism in place of being opposed to Jews because it's a bit more palatable, goes back a long time.”

For Diagolon, Simons said the term communist has morphed into “anyone that they don't like,” or is their opposition. However, Simons pointed out there is a “massive contingent” of Diagolon members who are anti-Semitic and racist who likely use the term as the historically-derived placeholder for Jewish people.

Back