• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Zero Pilots Being Hired in 2009?

VodkaBoy said:
A couple of options that new applicants for pilot may want to consider are:

[edited for length]

2. Join reserves in any trade.
- Again, military experience. If you show good effort and aptitude, it will make you more competitive. You can complete BMOQ, get it out of the way and show them the "tick" in the box - it is less risk for them to hire someone who has completed that step(where attrition rate through injuries and voluntary releases is fairly high).

These options may or may not delay your admission into Pilot. But for some they will provide the edge, without which they would never be competitive enough for the position.

I don't recommend this option ... the current estimated timeline for CT from the Reserves to the Regular Force is 18 months ...

I have also been told to get into another trade like ACSO or air traffic control and eventually switch to pilot.  Even though I have my private pilot license and undergrad;  DEO is tough for pilot these days.  I just hope that when I'm in with another trade I can remuster fairly easily to pilot.

VodkaBoy said:
spitfire on the other hand... :blotto:
spitfire.jpg

Or in your example, a Hawker Hurricane.

I know that it may have been labelled as a Spitfire on the site where you found it, but one can identify the example as a Hurricane by:

a. the non-elliptical wing shape:

b. the hump back shape of the fuselage top between the cockpit and the tail as well as the canopy; and

c. the fabric covered fuselage between the cockpit and the tail, which is indicated by the horizontal stringers. The Spitfire had an all metal fuselage.

Seem explanatory info:

SPOT THE SPITFIRE! 
See if you can spot the Spitfire in this picture. It's important to remember that there's only one genuine Spitfire.
http://www.spitfireale.co.uk/spitfire_mess4.htm

Has anyone recently had an interview for DEO pilot and been told anything about the next aircrew selection? More specifically, when it is, is it full..?? any info would be great

I had my interview Nov 17th, and was suppose to attend ASC this month, but I got an email from my MCC saying that since they're not hiring pilots at this time, ASC is not running for DEO pilot applicants. He told me that all DEO pilot applicants awaiting ASC will be on hold until April when/if new positions become available. Have you done your basic testing yet?

Snyper

I want to be a pilot...but it's a mess. I really wish I were american sometimes!

There is a HUGE backlog for pilot training. From the words of my MCC (airforce) at a CFRB: "when it comes to pilot training, the the airforce has to get its head out of its *** and start getting pilots to do basic flying in the states". Apparently even people who got the pilot trade in ROTP and have graduated university are still waiting up to 2 years to start their basic flying.

I got all this news when I was rejected. The funny thing is, I was given a date to do aircrew selection--Feb. 1. I went in on the thursday before to ask a few questions about ACS, and to my suprise I was no longer going! I read that damn blue book 5 times.

My MCC could tell that I was pretty dissapointed and gave it to me straight. The forces are only hiring 30 pilots this year nation wide. I am not sure if that was for ROTP or DEO or both. I am ROTP. So when they selected the 30 they 'raised the bar' for the applications. This descision was made on Jan. 22nd. I didnt make the cut.

I also applied for Aerospace engineering officer. According to the video on forces.ca for AERE officer: "It's a really exciting time to be an aerospace engineering officer. The airforce is currently going through its largest airframe acquisition since WWII".... or something along those lines.

Whos going to fly those planes if they are only hiring 30 pilots per year???

My little rant. I was supposed to go to ACS today. I guess im a little pissed. Try, try agian. Next year.

aerobeast89 said:
The forces are only hiring 30 pilots this year nation wide. I am not sure if that was for ROTP or DEO or both.

I am certain that refers to ROTP.  The reason I'm so sure is that no one (at a recruiting centre, anyway) will know how many DEOs they're taking until April 1.  That is what my file manager told me.

aerobeast89 said:
I want to be a pilot...but it's a mess. I really wish I were american sometimes!

There is a HUGE backlog for pilot training. From the words of my MCC (airforce) at a CFRB: "when it comes to pilot training, the the airforce has to get its head out of its *** and start getting pilots to do basic flying in the states". Apparently even people who got the pilot trade in ROTP and have graduated university are still waiting up to 2 years to start their basic flying.

I got all this news when I was rejected. The funny thing is, I was given a date to do aircrew selection--Feb. 1. I went in on the thursday before to ask a few questions about ACS, and to my suprise I was no longer going! I read that damn blue book 5 times.

My MCC could tell that I was pretty dissapointed and gave it to me straight. The forces are only hiring 30 pilots this year nation wide. I am not sure if that was for ROTP or DEO or both. I am ROTP. So when they selected the 30 they 'raised the bar' for the applications. This descision was made on Jan. 22nd. I didnt make the cut.

I also applied for Aerospace engineering officer. According to the video on forces.ca for AERE officer: "It's a really exciting time to be an aerospace engineering officer. The airforce is currently going through its largest airframe acquisition since WWII".... or something along those lines.

My little rant. I was supposed to go to ACS today. I guess im a little pissed. Try, try agian. Next year.

I have seen this post several times in the past and I was one of the posters. My file has been, or was open, for more than 2 years. I've had two aircrew dates; both were cancelled just days before. I am sure there are greater stories than mine or yours.

I think you should go for Aerospace Engineering Officer. It might help to switch to Pilot later (should you still want it) and at least you are around your passion. You can get some time in the air if there is a local school or club in your town. Either that or keep working on your application for coming years.

The intake numbers are coming out soon. Speaking with my MCC, his impression, along with others, is that the spots are going to be limited.

Good luck.

aerobeast89 said:

Well....we have pilots now you know. If we replace a CC-130E with a CC-130J, do we need more pilots ? Do we not convert the current ones to the new aircraft ? We may be buying new airframes but some of those are to replace others and we do have a backlog of pilot trainees already in the system.

My little rant.

Sorry for the situation you are in. It helps to inform yourself before going off on a rant though.

aerobeast89 said:
the airforce has to get its head out of its *** and start getting pilots to do basic flying in the states".

It wouldn't make any difference. There would still be bottlenecks at the OTUs, and squadrons can only absorb so many pipeliners.

I agree with Loachman. In talking with the Captain at my enrollment ceremony last year, he informed me that, in his opinion, once the BFT backlog gets taken care of, all those many, many, many pilots awaiting training will hit the wall with the OTU's.

Here's to hoping that it gets cleared up in the next 3 years.  :salute:

Heff18 said:
I agree with Loachman.

More people should. It would be a better planet.

Heff18 said:
Here's to hoping that it gets cleared up in the next 3 years.

It should have been cleared up about fifteen years ago.

It's a good thing I live in paradise, or I'd be just as pissed as the rest of you waiting peeps.

I applied for ROTP- pilot and did my CFAT in October 2009. My interview and medical were scheduled for early november but were cancelled due to a missing security clearance form in my application. They told me it can take 6 to 18 months for the form to be processed, so I had almost given up hope on going to RMC.

And then they called me yesterday and wanted me to come for an interview tomorrow. I'm excited and nervous, but worried that I have lost my chances of being considered for Pilot. Is anyone able to provide some insight or knowledge as to how my situation will turn out?

daindophia said:
Is anyone able to provide some insight or knowledge as to how my situation will turn out?

Let's see...

images

You will know in 24 hours after you speak with your career counsellor. Good luck.

I'm not too sure about the accuracy that zero pilots will be hired this year. I've completed the interview, medical, ACS and passed as pilot. All they said was wait till end of March or April and you'll hear something.

Rams89 said:
I'm not too sure about the accuracy that zero pilots will be hired this year.

Do you mean fiscal year 2009 or 2010? Zero pilots hired for 2009 is a fact, 2010 is speculation at this point.

I'm surprised they processed your application to be honest. I applied for ROTP last year and completed ACS as well, but my application fell through the cracks (communication breakdown with the recruiting centre). I brought in my application for DEO yesterday, but they said they won't accept it until there are pilot positions to be filled. Makes sense, they would be wasting time on processing the application if it turns out there are no pilots hired in fiscal year 2010 as well.

We really need to change the title of this thread. I chuckle everytime I envision  Cdn pilots tying Canadian flag scarves on their heads and going on suicide missions.

Back