• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Zero Pilots Being Hired in 2009?

Thank you for the info.
So I would have better chance with UTPNCM then CEOTP ?

Well this is quite a surprise, though not a good one.  I've been lurking on these forums for a while and was hoping for good news when the new fiscal year came around.  Them's the breaks, I guess.

I'm a DEO pilot applicant, getting my Electrical Engineering degree this spring.  Currently, I'm waiting to hear on a date for CFASC from my CFRC.

Just to report back on this, my recruiting centre confirmed they'd had only 1 pilot position open up when the new fiscal year started, and they've filled it.

However, on the plus side, they're still sending me to the ASC.  They've tentatively scheduled me for June 1-5, and they said as soon as that's confirmed they'll book my flight to Trenton.  Guess I'll just be in for a significant wait after that's done (and if I pass, of course).

Everybody wants to fly planes and sail boats, no one wants to do the dirty grunt work.
I luv dirty grunt work.

INFANRTY LEADS THE WAY, WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :piper:

Randifur said:
Everybody wants to fly planes and sail boats, no one wants to do the dirty grunt work.
I luv dirty grunt work.

INFANRTY LEADS THE WAY, WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :piper:

Cut that out. And if you must plug your trade, which you haven't even been enrolled in yet, at least spell it properly.

I heard ground pilot was hiring.
Lav Pilot.
Sorta the same but the ground turbulence sucks more.

Best of luck to the future pilots.

Hey guys, I'm quite happy at the moment because I had just received a call back from the CFRC Ottawa. I'm a DEO pilot applicant, I applied Oct 9th. My references had just been called, and I'm scheduled for an interview/medical/physical/aptitude test Nov. 17th. That is great news (in my mind) because the wheels are suddenly being put in motion. However, he started off by saying I'll be waiting at least a year because there are people in the system that have been waiting quite a bit of time already, and he can't see more than 10 people getting a slot in April 2010 for DEO pilot. After he told me that, he reviewed my file, then decided to book appointments for me. I'm wondering if there are others being processed for testing now for DEO pilot, and if this is a normal situation.

Thanks alot.

Zero pilots eh?
If they had any sense they would go for Hellcats or Mustangs instead.
Does the carrier qual come with that.

Jammer said:
Zero pilots eh?
If they had any sense they would go for Hellcats or Mustangs instead.
Does the carrier qual come with that.

- Ever read the "The Seventh Carrier" series?

Seventh Carrier
1. The Seventh Carrier (1983)
2. The Second Voyage of the Seventh Carrier (1986)
3. Return of the Seventh Carrier (1987)
4. Quest of the Seventh Carrier (1989)
5. Attack of the Seventh Carrier (1989)
6. Trial of the Seventh Carrier (1990)
7. Revenge of the Seventh Carrier (1992)
8. Ordeal of the Seventh Carrier (1992)
9. Challenge of the Seventh Carrier (1993)
10. Super Carrier (1994)
11. Assault of the Super Carrier (1996)

:D

snyper21 said:
Hey guys, I'm quite happy at the moment because I had just received a call back from the CFRC Ottawa. I'm a DEO pilot applicant, I applied Oct 9th. My references had just been called, and I'm scheduled for an interview/medical/physical/aptitude test Nov. 17th. That is great news (in my mind) because the wheels are suddenly being put in motion. However, he started off by saying I'll be waiting at least a year because there are people in the system that have been waiting quite a bit of time already, and he can't see more than 10 people getting a slot in April 2010 for DEO pilot. After he told me that, he reviewed my file, then decided to book appointments for me. I'm wondering if there are others being processed for testing now for DEO pilot, and if this is a normal situation.

Thanks alot.

Well, I was at that same point almost exactly a year ago.  I started my application in October 2008, and was doing interview, CFAT, and medical by November.  All the while knowing I probably wouldn't have a shot at the (very few) spots opening up in April.

If you're lucky, they might whisk you off to Trenton sooner rather than later and you may be in line for one of the April 2010 spots.  But if my experience is any indication, the recruiter's prediction is more likely.  That bit about how "he can't see more than 10 people getting a slot" seems to me like an educated guess at best, though.

HI snyper21,
I don’t understand, when you say you applied Oct 9, you mean Oct 9, 2009?

I applied back in August 2008 and passed ASC in May 2009. Sure hope there's more than 10 spots, as I'll bet there are more than 10 people in front of me. On that note, does anyone know the average DEO pilot openings per year? Or is it too variable?

Either way, best of luck to all waiting.

Hey Folgers, I'm not necessarily sure that just because people that have applied before you get preference. I would imagine that if a new applicant is strong, he/she would have preference over an applicant who applied earlier that is not quite as strong. Although I'm am not sure, it just seems to make a bit more sense in my mind.

Folgers said:
I applied back in August 2008 and passed ASC in May 2009. Sure hope there's more than 10 spots, as I'll bet there are more than 10 people in front of me. On that note, does anyone know the average DEO pilot openings per year? Or is it too variable?

Either way, best of luck to all waiting.

Remember that each recruiting centre gets a certain number of slots (and I think it varies greatly, so an average probably wouldn't be that useful).  The recruiter in Saskatoon told me this year they had only one.  The one here in Ottawa told me they'd had two.  If snyper's recruiter said he expected at most ten for next year, he is probably referring to Ottawa only.

For what it's worth the Ottawa recruiter I spoke with told me there would likely be "many more" spots in 2010, and that since I've done CAPPS and everything else already, I would likely get one, but he didn't give me any actual numbers.

(edit for spelling mistake and clarity)

Thanks for the replies and clarification guys. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens. Good to hear that you have heard some "potentially" positive news for April though Biggs.

And yes, I would agree Snyper. All other things being equal, I'm sure they'll take a CPL guy over a novice regardless of the order of their applications.

Remember that each recruiting centre gets a certain number of slots (and I think it varies greatly, so an average probably wouldn't be that useful).  The recruiter in Saskatoon told me this year they had only one.  The one here in Ottawa told me they'd had two.  If snyper's recruiter said he expected at most ten for next year, he is probably referring to Ottawa only.

For what it's worth the Ottawa recruiter I spoke with told me there would likely be "many more" spots in 2010, and that since I've done CAPPS and everything else already, I would likely get one, but he didn't give me any actual numbers.

If I remember correctly, the Ottawa recruiter told me that those 10 spots I was referring to include ALL of Canada and its DEO applicants. He simply stressed the fact that I would need to do extremely well on every selection phase to be considered a pilot slot, and there's a good chance I'd be waiting a year. Although the recruiter doesn't know for sure, and those "many more" spots in 2010 comment is music to my ears right now lol.

Do you guys know if my invitation to ASC in Trenton is a sure thing considering I pass my int/apt test, etc..? Or do I need to score very well of all the phases to then get invited to ASC?

the first two paragraphs I wrote were written by Biggs. I forgot to put it in a bubble.

Do you guys know if my invitation to ASC in Trenton is a sure thing considering I pass my int/apt test, etc..? Or do I need to score very well of all the phases to then get invited to ASC?

I believe it is the latter.  However an actual recruiter would be the real authority on that, and you could probably just ask them.  What I know for sure, though, is that the aptitude test and interview are very important, and it is to your benefit to take them seriously and give your best through all of it.  A "passing is good enough" approach is not a good one.

Snyper21 congratulations with this.  I hope it works out the way you want.
But I don’t understand.  I was told Pilot was closed (several times very very recently) from recruiters, so I am at loss as to what’s happening.  One Recruiter (speaking very sincerely and openly) even mentioned that Pilot DEO will likely  remain closed for another year or two and that they wouldn’t even accept an application since it would just sit and gather dust.  :crybaby: ???

Back