• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Your Input - Best Options

rasputin

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'd like to hear your opinions on what you think are suitable trades based on what I provide you.  I'm asking because there are sometimes options you overlook or in some cases things aren't what you expect them to be day to day.  I can think of no better resource than the people involved in or associated with the internal workings of the CF, so any info would be appreciated.

For starters, I am a former member of the CF.  I attended CMR as an Air Nav studying Mechanical Engineering.  I left largely due to a miscommunication (wanted to switch degree programs, never got any word back, made other plans to cover my posterior, got my word back when it was too late).  Regardless, I very much enjoyed the majority of military life and loved my trade.

Currently, my employer is contemplating making a change that would make it such that I am relatively unchallenged for 5 to 10 years.  That's one of the few things I can't accept.  I'm a person who needs to be constantly challenged or I become bored and unhappy.  As a result, I'm contemplating re-enlisting.

I currently hold a Bachelor of Science in Forestry (5 year program close to Engineering) and a Wildlife Biology minor.  I have also done some Masters level courses in Geodesy and Geomatics.  I have worked for the past 12+ years for the provincial government where I manage about 1 million acres of land and also oversee the Geographic Information Systems (GIS) for a quarter of the province.  On the side, I am a volunteer with the Civil Air Search And Rescue Association (CASARA) under CFB Greenwood where I am a zone Training Officer, zone Chief Navigator, zone Director, provincial Vice President and have acted as a national Deputy Director.

A great deal of my life has involved maps and navigation.  While I would love being involved in my old trade, I'm quite certain my eyes wouldn't cut it anymore.  I strongly suspect I'd attempt to get in as a DEO though am not 100% tied to that.  I'm a mixed bag in that I want to be mentally challenged but I am very happy doing manual labour.  I grew up working in graveyards, on farms, tree planting and thinning and some time in the military.  I like things that exhaust me and push me to my limits (put it this way, my favourite things when I was in were boot camp, obstacle courses, field training, etc.).  Probably one of my biggest assets is work ethic.  I like getting dirty and while I'm not always the best at everything, I pretty much refuse to be outworked at anything and my preference is to be surrounded by the best as I feel the only way to find out what you are capable of is to always be pushed and have high measuring bars.  In honesty, I get a little frustrated being around people who don't give 100%.  I have zero problem working in isolation if need be (I spend a great deal of time in remote areas having to figure my way around by myself).  I like fighting (former boxer and boxing coach).  I am not attached to one element or another. 

So that's a bit about my history and my likes and dislikes as well as personality type.  I think I forgot to mention I am 36.  Based on my education, experience, my enjoyment of manual labour or physicality, my desire for challenge and being around "elite" type people to better myself, what trades do you think might be up my alley?  I know full well my body isn't the same as it used to be and can accept if people think some trades might be too hard at my age.....it's all fair advice.  Any help or ideas would be appreciated so I can research further.

rasputin;

There are a lot of opportunies open to you, but there are a lot that may be closed.

I enrolled in '05/06, at the age of 25, and thought I'd be kicking doors for a living......my vision category "categrorically denied" me from combat trades.
So, I tried something else....a LOG (logistics) trade was open...(supply)

I already had my foot in the door, so why not?

I ended up in a job I didnt really like, but kept doing...(it was almost identical to my civillian job)

You've already been in....

....I got to do a lot of really cool stuff...we had a C.O. that firmly believed in the "Soldier First" concept.
So, we'd spend our excersise weekends doing section attacks, and learning how to dismount and provide security to a convoy.

Have ya ever jumped out of a truck while  trying to organize 7 other dudes?....and shoot the other 7 dudes that are shootin' at you?

Our weekends were "high-speed", but the Thursdays were all about Dress & Deportment.

You sound like you have the work ethic, and experience....do it.

Do it before you're too old.

HS

Back