• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Your Beer Brand of Choice

Brutus said:
If I was to eliminate Guinness from the mix (quite possibly the most perfect beverage ever devised), then I'll go with:

Granville Island Breweries Winter Ale - full flavoured, hint of vanilla.
Duvel - refreshing AND full of lovely Belgian Strong Ale taste.
Kilkenney - mmmmm.

Least faves of the popular brands:

Canadian - Molson's hommage to the American lager.
Keith's  - over-rated.
Miller Lime - a pathetic attempt to emulate a pathetic beer (Corona).
That's simply amazing! I'm not the only one who drinks the Granville Winter Ale  :) (at times it seems like I'm the only one in the world who knows about it. All my drinking buddies are losers  ;) ) and mmmm their Kitsilano Maple Cream Ale is simply, stunning!

Duvel is amazing too, although my main beer is Alexander Keith's, I take preference in it over other beers simply because it's a true Canadian beer :)

True Canadian in what sense?  It's made by a Brazilian brewing giant.  It's not a bad beer for a regular quaff, but I'm not sure where they get off calling it an India Pale Ale.  Halifax produces a far better IPA - Propellor - which you can get in a lot of pubs in the city and at any LC here.

Now that summer is here, I'm drinking a fair bit of McAuslan's Apricot Wheat Ale.  And surprisingly, the new, avant garde "M" by Molson is an alright lager.

Big Beef said:
That's simply amazing! I'm not the only one who drinks the Granville Winter Ale  :) (at times it seems like I'm the only one in the world who knows about it. All my drinking buddies are losers  ;) ) and mmmm their Kitsilano Maple Cream Ale is simply, stunning!

Duvel is amazing too, although my main beer is Alexander Keith's, I take preference in it over other beers simply because it's a true Canadian beer :)

Dirty Blonde from Atwater Brewery is a pretty good summer beer also. Plus, the label's not half bad either.

http://www.atwaterbeer.com/atwater-brands/

Personally I'm not much of a beer drinking, I'm more of a vodka person myself so I don't have a brand of choice.
But I will tell you the worse beer I've ever tasted, Old Speckled  Hen. Yuck.
It was skunky and gross. Never again.

Keith's is to IPAs as mopeds are to motorcycles.

Barmecide said:
Personally I'm not much of a beer drinking, I'm more of a vodka person myself so I don't have a brand of choice.
But I will tell you the worse beer I've ever tasted, Old Speckled  Hen. Yuck.
It was skunky and gross. Never again.

You've obviously never tasted a warm bottle of Labatt 50. 
puke.gif

Actually, if the holy grail does in fact exist, I suspect it might be filled with Labatt 50.

Molson Stock Ale must be what you're thinking of.  It was one of my first beers, and I had to wipe (not blow) the dust off the bottle.  Ugh.  Put me off beer altogether for a while.

And I like the Keith's:IPA as Moped:Motorcycle.  Totally apt.  It's got no bitterness, no hop flavour really, like IPA should.  No surprise, the NS Archives had an article in the papers a while ago about how they had been looking at the original recipes for it, totally different from what it is now.

Occam said:
You've obviously never tasted a warm bottle of Labatt 50. 
puke.gif

Redeye said:
I'm drinking a fair bit of McAuslan's Apricot Wheat Ale.  And surprisingly, the new, avant garde "M" by Molson is an alright lager.
Interesting way of announcing that you've come out of the closet  >:D

LOL I was asking for that.

I actually need to plan a trip to The Forks some time soon.  Preferably via motorcycle this time.  Of course, I have to get a bike first, but that's a whole other bit of nonsense.  They do make some fantastic beer at the Kennebec Brewing Company.  Just don't order the large mac & cheese.

Journeyman said:
Interesting way of announcing that you've come out of the closet  >:D

....anyone have any experience with Dos Equis?  I've heard its almost like the Mexican version of Heineken.

I tried it just for the commercial cause why not. I thought it was pretty good, equal to keiths i would say.

Dos Equis is tasty when ice cold, but it turns to skunk piss very quickly if you drink it in the sun, something to do with the clear bottles.  Heineken's green bottle does the same thing.  Stick to cans for anything in clear or green bottles, it lasts a lot longer.  Sol is a much better Mexican beer, in my book.  You couldn't force me to drink Corona at gunpoint, any beer that needs a hunk of citrus fruit in it to taste like anything is not worth drinking.

There's an amber version of Dos Equis that is really good, but Sol is a much better choice overall.  They do have brilliant marketing though, and I think that's at least compelled a lot of people to try it, and it's not half bad.

One of the other really interesting beers I've ever had was Cobra, an English-brewed "Indian-style" lager.  I can't put my finger on what's different about it, other than I think it's a little bit more bitter than most lagers, and it pairs remarkably well with spicy (read: Indian) food.

Kat Stevens said:
Dos Equis is tasty when ice cold, but it turns to skunk piss very quickly if you drink it in the sun, something to do with the clear bottles.  Heineken's green bottle does the same thing.  Stick to cans for anything in clear or green bottles, it lasts a lot longer.  Sol is a much better Mexican beer, in my book.  You couldn't force me to drink Corona at gunpoint, any beer that needs a hunk of citrus fruit in it to taste like anything is not worth drinking.

Tankhouse Ale from Mill St Brewery has been treating me right in place of a Magners or Guinness.

CallOfDuty said:
....anyone have any experience with Dos Equis?  I've heard its almost like the Mexican version of Heineken.

I tried it. In a bottle it is pretty good. On tap, it is more like what Corona would task like if it had been filtered through the kidneys of a dog.

CDN Aviator said:
I tried it. In a bottle it is pretty good. On tap, it is more like what Corona would task like if it had been filtered through the kidneys of a dog.

I am concerned that you know what that would taste like...

I don't always drink Mexican beer...but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis!

;D

bekkamgov said:
Mine is alpine..Only in New Brunswick the Maritimes...

Fixed that for you.  And they can keep it there.  ;D

Back