• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

You know you are past your expiriy date...

I know that the forces did not go out of their way to publicize the presence of nuclear air-to-air missiles in Canada. I really have no first hand knowledge on this matter. Now, if you want to discuss dropping a tactical nuke from a British 8-inch Howitzer or a Canadian Honest John Rocket on a Motor Rifle or Tank Regiment, I can run through the battle procedure. That probably requires a get together and copious foamy goodies, however.

"Beginning in December of 1962, the RCAF used its CF-104s to equip eight European-based squadrons of its No. 1 Air Division. Other CF-104s were assigned to the No. 6 OTU based at Cold Lake, Alberta. Apart from the operational conversion unit established at Cold Lake, Alberta in late 1961 (eventually redesignated No 417 Squadron), RCAF CF-104s were all committed to the support of NATO's nuclear deterrent mission in Europe."

http://rcaf.com/Archives/archivesDetail.php?The-CF-104-for-Canada-10

The idea that Canada was once armed with nuclear weapons is a fact that would be a surprise to many Canadians, who think of their country as a nation best known for its tradition of peacekeeping, and for its work in the United Nations. Nuclear weapons are something that Canadians associate with superpowers like the United States, or dictators such as Kim Jong-il of North Korea. Nevertheless, from 1945 to 1984, Canada faced the issue of whether it should have nuclear weapons. In fact, in 1963, Canada decided to acquire these weapons to fulfil commitments that it had made to its allies, including the United States. However, in the late 1960s, the government of Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau decided that it was no longer in Canada’s best interests to be a nuclear-armed nation. As a result, in July 1984, the last nuclear warheads available for use by the Canadian military were returned to the United States.

http://www.journal.forces.gc.ca/vol10/no1/08-trudgen-eng.asp

-when you know that the name "Baden Guy" refers to a former deployment for the CF, and not some James Bond flick
-when you had to have your AWOL bag and get dressed in S-3s for sick parade, for the DSM's inspection.

You can remember the DJ at the Carlton Club stopping the music to announce a bug out for the 3rd BN.  :warstory:

When you find out you are the 132nd oldest in the fourth largest unit in the CF, and the youngest isn't 19 yet :(

- Getting a new pair of ankle boots, and taking them to the cobbler to get them *double-souled and clickered*.

- getting your DEU stuff from supply instead of ordering them from an Internet site, because there was no such thing as the Internet.

- seeing the Ops WO with this "suitcase phone" and not knowing what the word "cellular" meant when he said it.

- "cap, fuzzy, ridiculous" winter CF, russian looking hat

- being told you can NOT use BLACKHORSE...and switching to ORANGEF*CK instead (pissing off the BC yet again).

Northalbertan said:
Next to Rosie's was also the strip club Cherries.  The Madame, I mean manager, was Simone. ;)

...and you know this how.. ???    ???    ???
was in there once when I spent two weeks in Lahr...our only one night OUT...nice place..interesting movies on the big screen :pop:

211RadOp said:
You actually understand the joke "What's yellow and sleeps six?"

Amazingly enuf - I miss them.  Seemed that stuff actually got done in the patch back in those days (albeit by the junior member of the six...) as opposed to now.

Simian Turner said:
Well done, the other two I was trying to remember were the picolo bar outside the Hugsweier gate and the one that was down near the Bank of Montreal. 

Perhaps I am mistaken about the third one and I killed too many brain cells at all of the wonderful beer and wine fests. I can remember going to München (Munich) for Oktoberfest and sleeping on a park bench after trying to drink a litre of beer from each tent.  It would have been a comfortable sleep if not for the street sweepers and garbage trucks.

Anyone remember the Terrace?  Or going Kegling?

Club Terrace had the best new years eve parties.  The food at the restaurant downstairs wasn't bad either.  I lost my car for three days in Munchen  during octoberfest.  The most amazing thing about octoberfest?  How the hell do all those little women carry  that many large steins of Bier. 

comox,,,voodoo's,,,special weopons,,,, wsa ????? hmmmm sounds familiar
lmao cheers,,,
              scoty b

Nina Hagen

Nena

Falco

Spliff

BAP

Markus

Neu

Kraftwerk

Manfred Mann

Udo Lindenberg

Peter Schilling

Relax

Spider Murphy Gang

Trio

Scorpions

Karat

George Wallace said:
Nina Hagen

Nena

Falco

Spliff

BAP

Markus

Neu

Kraftwerk

Manfred Mann

Udo Lindenberg

Peter Schilling

Relax

Spider Murphy Gang

Trio

Scorpions

Karat

Pfffttt. Amateurs, For true period musical history you need to have the vinyl copy of Gorilla from the The Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band, if only to hear John Wayne on xylophone and Adolf Hitler on vibes, during The Intro and the Outro cut.

Back