• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

You know you are past your expiriy date...

How about the Adler Klaus country music Haus in Lahr.  The week long beach parties in the bar were famous.

Northalbertan said:
Next to Rosie's was also the strip club Cherries.  The Madame, I mean manager, was Simone. ;)

Well done, the other two I was trying to remember were the picolo bar outside the Hugsweier gate and the one that was down near the Bank of Montreal. 

Perhaps I am mistaken about the third one and I killed too many brain cells at all of the wonderful beer and wine fests. I can remember going to München (Munich) for Oktoberfest and sleeping on a park bench after trying to drink a litre of beer from each tent.  It would have been a comfortable sleep if not for the street sweepers and garbage trucks.

Anyone remember the Terrace?  Or going Kegling?

FormerHorseGuard said:
is that  the place that  was on highway  41 north of highway  7?
the walls were covered with slip ons?
i use to eat there as a kid .
now gone

Yeah, that's the place... I drove in front of it a couple of years back and it had apparently been closed for a while.

Speaking of Kegling, who remembers bowling (or pin-setting) in the Cornwallis WO, Sgts and POs Mess?

The 106mm RR....i loved that.
FIRING!!!!.......STANDY BY......!!!!!

Egypt in 78,,  The 7 up Club, Blue Beret Club, The Mush, Sweet Water in, The Aussies Lackofnookylodge.  Cactus club in Tel Aviv and Bernie's Bottle Club

fiddlehead said:
how many of you were issued a button stick?    :D

At least a couple of us remember them well ... along with the other neat things in the 'holdall' including the 'housewife,' a safety razor and shaving brush and a 'darning ball' which wasn't really a ball at all - it was a rather flattened ovoid - but there it was, all having to be cleaned, polished and laid out on our beds, six mornings a week.

E.R. Campbell said:
At least a couple of us remember them well ... along with the other neat things in the 'holdall' including the 'housewife,' a safety razor and shaving brush and a 'darning ball' which wasn't really a ball at all - it was a rather flattened ovoid - but there it was, all having to be cleaned, polished and laid out on our beds, six mornings a week.

Don't forget the metal wash basin, which also had to be polished. And who can forget using a razor blade to remove accumulated layers of wax from the barrack room floor, so you could start to build up fresh layers of wax all over again?

... and polishing the backs of buttons and the soles of boots, too!

Edit: typo

Simian Turner said:
Well done, the other two I was trying to remember were the picolo bar outside the Hugsweier gate and the one that was down near the Bank of Montreal. 

Perhaps I am mistaken about the third one and I killed too many brain cells at all of the wonderful beer and wine fests. I can remember going to München (Munich) for Oktoberfest and sleeping on a park bench after trying to drink a litre of beer from each tent.  It would have been a comfortable sleep if not for the street sweepers and garbage trucks.

Anyone remember the Terrace?  Or going Kegling?

I liked the Crash in Offenburge. I actually got carded in the Terrace!! because they thought I was under 18 and the laws were that any one under had to leave a Midnight.

I too passed out on a park bench in Munich, woke up when I felt a hand slide across my throat it was the Politzi checking my pulse to see if I was still alive then they just rolled me in to the recovery postion. I thought what the hell might as just stay here now.  :blotto:

Remember the ball style cap with the fur thingy that you could fold down over your ears? And the winter hat that no one wore (Except 2 VP in winter 76/77).

Mid Aged Silverback said:
And the winter hat that no one wore (Except 2 VP in winter 76/77).

The only hat I was wearing then was my cap leaving the hospital after being born.  I guess I'm not past my "expiry date" (thread name) quite yet.

Issued a button stick and a button brush (still have it to brush my beret) even though in a Rifle Regiment ("it on the list, so you get it")
Firing the 106 without ear defenders.
Striker test on the No36 grenade.
Loading a rocket on the 3.5, and pushing it past the locking latches, catching the No 1 unaware, the front suddenly pointing downward, and the rocket falling out of the front of the launcher.
Sten gun (and the Sterling) and Bren gun. Never burn your fingers twice on the ejection closing latch of the Bren.
Spare boots being inspected to make sure the bottoms were blackened, as ERC stated.
For former OR's: My Home in Amsterdam.
The girls riding bicycles in Holland in the 60's wearing leather micro mini skirts.

Staying in the old "Union Jack" club, in a room with a plaque dedicating it to a sailor killed in WW1.
The cafeteria was out of WW11, bangers and mash, sweet dark beer.
When you could still get a good cuppa tea in London, now it seems they have gone to American coffee.

Loading the "Special Weapon" on a CF-104

It was common knowledge at the time that 4 CIBG and 1 Air Div both had special weapons, as did Air Defence Command here in Canada. The keystone army tactical manual, Canadian Army Manual of Training 1-8, The Brigade Group in Battle, Part I, Tactics, was based on the use of tactical nuclear weapons, and this was practiced on exercises in both Canada and Germany.

Back